Messaging button: "Error opening the shortcut..."

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by heycow, Feb 28, 2007.

1. heycow

heycow New Member

Messaging button: "Error opening the shortcut..."

Oops... :D So I did something that broke my messaging button on my new Q. Yes, I've been editing the registry, but can't think of anything that would cause this. When I press the messaging button on my Q I get the following error:

Alert
    Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename.

When this shows up I'm unable to do anything on my Q and have to reboot. I cannot even dismiss the error.

Anyone know how to fix this? It seems like this is the only thing that doesn't work. I'm able to access my messaging using the start menu, etc, it's just this one button that doesn't work.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: This is fixed. I had moved the shortcuts out of my Start Menu. Moved them back, I'm good to go! Now to create a Sprite Backup before I break anything else. :D
  2. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

Hard reset :-p
  3. heycow

heycow New Member

I don't understand...throwing it against the wall and screaming didn't help, why would a hard reset help? :whistling
  4. heycow

heycow New Member

BTW, does anyone know what value this key should have in the registry and where in the registry it's defined. I want to verify that it's still correct.

BTW, I've just found that I get the same error when I access Voice Dial. Shoot...
  5. smeg36

smeg36 New Member

I had this happen to me, and played with the registry for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. I did a hard reset, and it worked again. I restored from a Sprite Backup, and it was broken again. I finally figured out that the problem was I had moved the Messaging shortcut from the Start Menu to a sub-folder. It was broken, just as yours is, until I moved it back to the Start Menu. It then started working again no problem.
  6. heycow

heycow New Member

Oh man smeg36 you rock. LOL that fixed it. I was cleaning up my Start Menu and moved both links to a different directory.

HOWEVER, this has also let me remap the Voice key to launch IE now. I just created a shortcut for IE in the top Start Menu dir, and changed the name to "Voice Recognition". Badda bing badda boom.
  7. wolfson2

wolfson2 New Member

I did the same thing, except I went so far as to erase the messaging link, not just move it to a subfolder. What I'm wondering is if I can create a new shortcut? I don't use an exchange server and can't transfer contacts, so doing a master reset would be a huge pain.
  8. pvtbeto

pvtbeto New Member

same boat

yes i was wondering if anyone could post the messagin.lnk file. it would be a great help
  9. pvtbeto

pvtbeto New Member

nevermind thank you anyway. problem fixed :)
  10. geebear

geebear New Member

Recurring problem?

Hey everyone. I experienced this error message yesterday for the first time. When I rebooted the Q, it wouldn't start up and I had go to the Sprint store for a hard reset.

Yesterday night I installed my standard suite of applications (Qik, Fring, etc.) and this morning I've got the same error. It looks like the shortcuts for the installed programs are missing from the start menu now.

I'll try to fix the start menu when I get home but I'm concerned that it is a broader software issue. Does anyone have any tips?
  11. henrylcr

henrylcr New Member

I did this a while back and really made a mess trying to get things back to normal. Someone somewhere on here or the old Qusers forum gave me the formula for writing a shortcut manually.

Essentially, it's this:
    1.) Create a text file with the following format: XX#"Path\Program Name.exe" where XX is the number of characters after the #. (Include the quotation marks).

2.) Change the file extension to .lnk and it should now function as a shortcut to whatever path you put in the quotation marks.

If you change it's name to messaging.lnk and put it in the start menu, it'll overwrite whatever messaging.lnk is there and remap your hardware messaging button.

I've been working on a compilation of such tips that I've gotten over the past 2 years that I've had Q's. Pretty much like the thread of every hack ever or the Did You Know... thread, but my hope is to combine it with Tony's format for the official application list and keep it more or less up to date and functioning as both a sort of guide for newbie-ish people and as a reminder for those of us who're on our 5th master reset and forgot what grammar we were supposed to use for creating shortcuts (for instance). Ideally, I'd like it to have all the original values and whatnot in there as well so we can 'un-hack' our Q's when we screw things up, but that may just be too ambitious. It's already 2 pages long and there's a ton of stuff I know I've forgotten.
  12. demerson3

demerson3 New Member

I guess messaging.lnk is a link to \Windows\tmail.exe
    I have to say that it is kind of lame that the keypad buttons are mapped to named files in the Start Menu rather than executables in \Windows\ or wherever.
    Has anyone figured out where the keymaps can be changed in the registry? I've poked around quite a bit, but no luck yet.
  13. demerson3

demerson3 New Member

Just had a brilliant idea: I made Messaging.lnk into a HIDDEN file! That way the button can still access it, but it is not shown in the start menu. yay!
    To do this:
    1. Open the file manager
    2. Navigate to \Windows\Start Menu
    3. Find the menu entry that you want to hide, and highlight/select it
    4. Menu > Properties
    5. Down at the bottom, find several checkboxes, one says "hidden" so check that

After doing this, there may be a delay before the start menu rereads the files in the folder, so you may need to reboot your phone (or just wait a few minutes or do some other things) before they will disappear from the menu. This is working wonderfully for me.

If you want to unhide them you may need to go to Menu > Options and uncheck "hide hidden files" and maybe also "hide system files" in order to see them again and unhide.