Meeting with Motorola and need your Q Feedback ***

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by chris, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jskalon

jskalon New Member

What do you love most about your Q?
    Size and lookWhy did you choose the Q over other smartphones?
    wanted to try a windows based PDA

If you could change one thing about your Q, what would be?
    add MS OfficeIf you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase?
    Treo (I'm an old Palm user)

Complete this statement, "My Q would be great if...."

it had WiFi - MS Office - better Battery Life
  2. mgrosser

mgrosser New Member

It's light, thin, has a great screen and MP3s sound great through headphones or external speakers.
    Why did you choose the Q over other smartphones?
    It was the cheapest smartphone at Verizon. Plus it is really, thin and light.
    It would run Palm OS instead of the horribly buggy Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition.
    If you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase?
    Treo 700p.
    It ran Palm OS, didn't lose the Home Key functionality 50% of the time, came with an application for taking notes(like Notepad), had a key lock button (instead of the software - then the Home Key functionality wouldn't be such an issue), and better battery life.
  3. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Many of the comments have nothing to do with things Motorola can fix and many of the comments are easily fixed with free or pay apps such as ptab, wordpad, Oxios and firmware updates.

I've had many pdas including Palms and PPCs but comparing it to my only other Smartphone, the i600, the Q does very well. Battery life is somewhat better. The Q's screen is bigger and more rez which is really nice, but unreadable outdoors compared to the i600. I like clamshell phones more due to their durability and key protection but the Q makes the grade with it's slim design. The full keyboard is great though the buttons don't always register and there are missed strokes on the Q. I'll never go back to a 10key type phone. Bluetooth and camera are nice additions over the i600 but many places like courts are forbidding cameras so the phone stays in the car. Maybe a case that hides the camera is in order. An LED indicator would have been nice to indicate power and/or message waiting. I don't miss WIFI. EVDO is simple and fast. I would think you could bluetooth sync and get to the net like activesync too as is. I hate that WM won't find tel numbers in text of contacts as well as a blackberry.

Funny how the Q has three Enter buttons but no page up or down (unless you count the ie hacks).
  4. dmxoneiuv

dmxoneiuv New Member

feedback

1. What do you love most about your Q? slim design, great screen resolution, qwerty keyboard, can do so many things (phone, camera/video, email, internet, mp3 player, use of any ringtone, NINTENDO!, PdaNet which allows me to use my phone as my internet for my laptop when wi-fi isnt available, etc.)
    2. Why did you choose the Q over other smartphones? first time i'm buying a smartphone, looks sleek, and for the most part had good experience with Motorola (except my last phone Motorola V276, which probably only cost me $30, that was a piece of sh*t which is why i had to replace it with the Q early into my contract)
    3. If you could change one thing about your Q, what would be? i guess it would be battery life, i got the extended battery which lasts me forever but would prefer the slimness of the original
    4. If you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase? that new Samsung Blackjack looks good
    5. Complete this statement, "My Q would be great if...." TOUCH SCREEN, Wi-Fi, more out of the box built in software but i guess theres a market for it...software compatibility..i see a whole lot more for PPC then Smartphone apps..i'm hoping its just the Q is still rather new and more software is being developed
  5. Migdalor Guy

Migdalor Guy New Member

Go Tell It On A Moto

Size, form factor, weight.

Motorola brand experience, cost, no serious competition in its class at the time.

MS Office App editing

None. I would have continued to wait for the right device.

It had a touchscreen, or some easy way to allow software developers to more easily port to the Smartphone platform without major rewrites. (Or convince them it is easy and worth it. I really miss my Pocket Quicken.)
  6. ddouble

ddouble New Member

MOL - New software update?

Did Motorola share any info on the new software update? I believe the Black Q will have MOL as the standard software and silver Q owners will be able to update to this?
  7. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

-> Form factor

-> Form factor, price, it's a Motorola

-> Battery Life

If you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase?

-> Treo / Blackjack

-> The battery life was improved / it was a little quicker / it had a black housing / it had WiFi
  8. larsdennert

I've already updated to the B firmware that makes the silver one close to the Black one. The phone seems much improved like that last go around. They may have officially released it today but I haven't checked.

The Radio version would be 6.0B.0BP
  9. Praetorius

Praetorius New Member

1. What do you love most about your Q?
      • It's my portable studio...I can do everything short of take over the world(and...I'm presently working on that)
    2. Why did you choose the Q over other smartphones?
      • Slim form factor, crisp screen, multimedia functionality, Price
    3. If you could change one thing about your Q, what would be?
      • Redundant...but...BATTERY LIFE & SLUGGISHNESS (oh...a better camera would be nice)
    4. If you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase?
      • Treo 700p (I miss palm os...Bajis Loops is an awesome MoStudio app)
    5. Complete this statement, "My Q would be great if...."
      • I could play and play and play and not have the battery die....that makes Praetor cry. :frown:
    Chris, another thing you may want to mention is the multimedia functions. My MotoQ really became my best-friend when I discovered how I could use it musically. It would be nice though if they upgraded their sound processor. As I understand it, the Q's don't have dedicated DSP chips for sound processing or accelerated graphics (graphics redraws SUCK on this thing..I think that's a contributor to it's slowness)...come on Moto...nice crisp screen, memory expandable...I don't think ANYONE would complain if you put some hardware acceleration into the Q!!! Would make the Q infinately more appetising than the iPod and give them thar zany demosceners something to do. :smile:
  10. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention this one:

-> ... the headphone jack output was a bit more powerful
  11. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

Thin. Sexy.
    It was a multi-media alternative to my Blackberry 7100T
    Softer edges, with a more 'hand-friendly' feel...and lose the thumbwheel- its tits-on-a-bull useless
    If you didn't own a Q, which smartphone would you purchase?I would have gotten another Blackberry

Complete this statement, "My Q would be great if..."
    My employer would change corporate policy to allow the use of it.

From a Motorola perspective: I would strongly suggest taking a good hard look at the speed that the Q interacts with the user. I would venture to guess that the typical Q buyer uses only 10-25% of the full capacity of the device. That should allow Motorola the freedom to simplify the design of the software.

I would also strongly suggest looking at the simplicity of Google's front page. The frugal and tidy layout is inviting and unassuming, yet in the right hands it can wield great results.

Just because you have everything doesn't mean that I need to see it all of the time.

Good luck,

Simpson
  12. showtek

showtek New Member

I know I'm late on this but oh, well....
    Skip 1...this one's been beaten into the ground worse the pointing out the poor standard battery life.

2. Def need some MS Office apps viewing and editing capability. Much more ease in using short cuts, they're not convient to use. Just overall re-thinking of menu layout, it's seems kiddy even, when comparing it to a full Windows OS interface on a PPC. A Vista OS upgrade perhaps. WiFI option.

3. Prolly a i600 or Dash. Also use a Blackberry 7130e, which is great and capable but I like the Q much more. BB has not frills really, all business.

4. If it had more Q Pro - like upgrades and all the things I listed in 2.
  13. SamS

SamS New Member

1. Make it WIFI
    2. Touch Screen?
    3. Volume make it louder!

thank you.
  14. Suture

Suture New Member

1. The ability to sync up wirelessly with an Exchange server
    2. Price and features
    3. The keyboard -- you have to type slowly to make sure it registers, and I don't like having to press ALT to use numbers.
    4. Treo 700p
    5. ... Windows Mobile OS wasn't crap.
    ... the Q had a Notepad.
    ... I could edit Office documents.
    ... it wouldn't randomly reset.
  15. larsdennert

You should'a bought a PPC phone. That's what 1&2 are for. Three is probably just you not knowing how to adjust both volume settings. One for music, one for tel.
  16. Corvida

Corvida New Member

1. because it was cheaper/ different OS/ nice design
    2. the way the Homescreen can be changed
    3. None. I would've stuck with my Treo 650. However, there's a small...very small...chance that I would've gotten the Blackjack
    4. My Q would be great if I could easily edit my homescreen and rearrange start menu icons
  17. wayww@optonline.net

wayww@optonline.net New Member

One Biggie,

Let me "RUN JAVA"
  18. larsdennert

The only one stopping you is.... you. Java runs great on my Q.
  19. xraymed

xraymed New Member

Quit hendering DUN on the Verizon phones.

If your gonna compete with palm you gotta open your OS up to more user configurable (if thats a word)

If your gonna compete with palm more free 3rd party apps.

I love this phone, Light weight, OS seems stable (for me) OS is quick (for what I use) its just hard to compete with palm. But I am trying to break free, Oh Bill help me!!!!!!
  20. quebert

quebert New Member

1. keyboard

2. price - I am impaicent and was $100 short for a VX6700 :)

3. better camera/video recording, I've used Nokias that had QVGA quality video and close to a decent digital camera pics

4. vx6700 or Treo 700P

5. Motorola didn't remove the BT DUN in the update, was nice as hell to be able to tether wirelessly, now I gotta teather with the usb cable which makes the phone unusable for about a minute or 2 when I unplug it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.