Me and a WP7. Day 1.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Flaystus, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Well after getting the contacts issues all sorted out. (except the 1 minor lingering 1) I've finally had time to play with the phone and thought I'd give my initial impressions.

I love how light the phone is but the case I have on it... well it blows. Its a body glove case but because of the nature of the buttons on the side of the device it means if I hold to hard just about anywhere it presses a button down. Actually that may be an issue without the case! I'll have to try using the phone without them and find out.

Speaking of buttons. Coming from an iPhone allow me to say as I said to an android buddy before that the wake sleep button on the side thing... thats really dumb. Its just too easy to hit on accident and awkward while using in the car.

Still speaking of buttons. I have the Sammy Focus and having previously played with a Galaxy S phone I was worried about the touch buttons. I'd prefer physical ones, easier to use in the dark. That being said I've had almost no issues, I dunno why but the buttons and how they work with the software somehow seems to make more sense on the WP7. Other then a few "back button not doing what I thought" situations.

I'm also impressed with the search button behavior. Its such a minor thing but when I'm in contacts and I hit search its because I want to search.... CONTACTS. If I'm in the market place I want to search the market place. Its such a minor thing but it makes me very happy.

Speaking of the market place. As has been mentioned before.... it searching everything in the market place. Music, Apps, Videos... thats insanity. You have this nice swipe UI you made. MAKE USE OF IT when searching the market place. Even searching for facebook gave way more results then I would have though. Microsoft, you are silly heads for this.

Speed of the device is impressive. But thats nothing new. MS decision to force manufacturers to stick to a tight spec is paying off here. Let hope they hold it together.

Camera...coming from an iPhone 4.... to be blunt BLOWS. Samsung has failed hard in this reguard. And MS has work to do also... tap to focus pretty please!

K, thats all I got after day 1. Take care.
    chris likes this.
  2. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

At least some of the other phones have a top sleep button though. And your damn straight, the method of marketplace search needs serious revamping.
    That contacts thing; you could try it my way, and that is use the people hub for numbers you put it only, don't link it to Facebook or anything else, just download the Facebook app instead. This at least keeps unwanted photos and etc off your phone.

Hope you're at least enjoying parts of the whole transition. I still miss my iPhone sometimes, but I've grown quite attached to this HTC.

All the best!
  3. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Thats an idea but it also seems like a waste of the feature that I like. Actually I went ahead and just deleted all the contact in my hotmail account and imported them from my Windows address book. Then cleaned them up. Then linked those people only to facebook contacts. Then made it not sync contact from any of my other mail accounts. Its worked pretty well other then the one friend the phone just won't see his facebook account. No clue why. Can't seem to fix that.

Speaking of mail accounts. I have a gmail address that I've added. I also have mail on my own domain through google. The fact that you cannot rename an account to say for example "CM Mail" instead "Google mail 2" but thats something easlily fixed in a future update.

I just have to keep in mind this is an early OS build.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

No tap to focus, but there is a "press camera button halfway" to focus the... Focus. Try maxing out camera settings to give you better pics. Too bad settings don't stick after you exit camera app. Hopefully will be addressed at update.
  5. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Your own domain? Yeah you can. I have my domain thru yahoo's paid services, as well as a regular Yahoo mail account. My email tile says BitPusher2600, not Yahoo. All you have to do, under the email & accounts menu, is choose "other account" instead of Google, and it should name the tile after your domain. Proceed with your usual login stuff, it auto detected my settings but assigned my domain name, so in theory, it should work the same for you. Let me know.
  6. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Oh it WORKS using the google setting. I just put my actual address in. The complaint is the name of the account on the icon is Google Mail 2 with no option I see to change that.
  7. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Nah, see you're missing it. *Don't* use the Google setting. Go thru the "other" option under email & accounts. If you have your own domain, the tile will be named after your domain name instead of saying "Google 2".
  8. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

I got ya! thanks.
  9. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Well day...something something.

I really like this phone.
    My main complaints so far are:

Lack of Sirius XM app, not MS fault. S/XM is slooooooow at developing players. You'd think with all the streaming competition they'd act like animals when new platforms come out.

Cases. Soft cases that cover the buttons I don't like. Makes it way to easy to either sleep the phone or open the camera app. Especially annoying when playing a game that takes a bit to load. I've even hit the botton buttons when playing games and not ment to. It would be nice since they are not physical buttons if you could setup a every so slight delay on them, configurable. Just like half a second or something that you can turn on and off.

That being said I have ran into a little bugginess here and there.

Sometimes the Market Place app opens then just closes. Seems to also hang up a bit when browsing the market place after you've scrolled down a lot.

Music player the other day just stopped on me for no reason I could find and once just sitting in the seat beside me with music playing it just up and shut down.

And finally compared to my iPhone 4 the camera is crappy. Has the same blurring issues when you are not PERFECTLY still that the previous iphone cameras had. Step up SAMSUNG!

Most of it I chalk up to the 1.0ness of the OS.

Things that impressed me.

I'm really digging on the interface overall, matched with the speed of the phone its quite nice and actually impressed most people I've shown it to even my sister who has cursed her iPhone for for is attachment handling in the past seemed intrigued with the new OS and impressed with the speed.

The first time it downloaded a PDF document and asked if I wanted an app to read it. I said yes and it download Adobe reader then after reading it every time I open Adobe reader the document is still in there. I can delete or open it again or whatever but it like file management without actually accessing the file system. It works pretty sweet in my opinion.

The Xbox Live games seem to all be very premium titles. I don't mind paying a bit more for apps (they seem to run slightly more expensive much like Android when compared to iPhone) as long as they are GOOD APPS.

I purchased that PicLocker app to play with. I swear its had 3 updates since I bought it a few days ago. probably a good sign for that app.

Though pressing camera when you dont' mean to is annoying I really love the quick access to the camera. Now maybe it will be useful to have one in the first place lol

Things MS needs to fix. Fast as possible please.

The market search I mentioned before and so have many others. So sad that it searched all music and videos, and apps in one search box. Should be an easy fix for them too if they'd just get on it.

Speaking of MS apps. The Zune music app. Its nice an fancy and all but it needs more options. Like setting a default startup screen. I don't want to have to start the app, swipe to the right. tap "music" then swipe to the left 2 times to be on the Music by song screen so I can select to shuffle all. Let me define where it starts me at please. Thats too many taps and swipes to get my tunes playing.

Also I'm not sure how I feal about the History showing youtube videos I've watched, and even stuff from my Slacker. I've saw something and clicked it to have it launch another app when I really didn't want to leave the one I was in since at the moment IMO slacker loads a bit slowly.

Speaking of Youtube. Quality of streaming videos SUCKS even compared to iPhone. Fix please!

Some apps seem to have a problem trying to swipe or tap between screens while starting to load content. Facebook and Slacker are particularly bad about this. I'm sure it can be ironed out with time.

But when I consider we are basically a month in...

Good job Microsoft.
  10. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I've never had am issue with accidentally hitting the power/lock button or the camera button while the phone was in my pants or just being held in day to day use.
  11. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Happens to me several times a day. Especially while playing games.
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I've hit the search and back buttons during games when I first got the phone...not so much now.
  13. termleech

termleech Member

Were you on 3G or Wifi when you viewed the youtube videos? 3G youtube is awful on the phone (I'm guessing they are downgrading the quality) but over Wifi it's pretty good. I've checked it with multiple videos.
  14. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Final day.

Yes final. I've decided to put the phone on ebay. Its not WP7s fault. Its Samsung's.

90% of my smart phone usage is in my car, yet even after adding bluetooth to my car radio (at no cheap price btw) the audio level out put by the phone is miserable. Just loud enough for most songs. Too quiet for quiet songs and WAY to quiet for Slacker Radio.

Its a deal breaker, and with no permanent solution and juding by the problem on past samsung phones (after some googleing about) I don't expect a "fix" from them. Its a "feature".

So goodbye WP7... for now. Maybe in the next batch of hardware there will be a decent one for AT&T thats NOT by Samsung, or what I consider a needless gimmick (slide out speaker) or just pointless to me (slide out keyboard).

I think WP7 has a bright future. I like it WAY better then Android.
    Maybe I can join back up in hardware round 2.

Once again. Good job Microsoft.

Samsung.... suck it.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

How much you selling it for? PM me please :)
  16. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

I certainly hope my fellow eWM comrades won't hate me for the bluntness, but I say it as I see it: Why is Samsung and the focus so popular exactly? From my perspective, both on these forums and other places online, the people having all these different 1.0 problems haven't once affected me, save for the camera sucking compared to the iPhone4. I'm using an HD7. Marketplace has never crashed on me yet. Lagged like only once or twice, but then picked back up. Zune for playing music has never given me any problems either. Some of the vids on YouTube look bad, some crystal clear. I think that's all in who encoded the video and how. Search for a parody vid called "Microsoft vision of the future." Looks perfect on my phone (I would provide a link for it but that'd be a pain since I am typing this on the device right now.)

I've never used or needed Bluetooth so I haven't tried it yet. I have an auxiliary headphone jack type input on my head unit so I just plug in to that. I also don't listen to the radio, so I've never tried Slacker. Still, I know with T-Mobile, they give you 14 days to return the phone and cancel without ET fees. If T-Mobile is decent in your area, and you have any desire to stick with WP7, try out an HTC HD7. As I said, having read various user complaints on different bugs that I so happen to not experience, I'm only led to believe that the Focus is an inferior device, in that Focus users who are having bug issues are dealing with issues I'm not having. Some people blame their problems on the software, some the phone itself, so I have to agree, you nailed it 100%. Its not WP7, it's Samsung. This device in particular doesn't have what I'd call "true color", it seems to have the 65000 color thing perhaps. Example, if you look at the front page of my homesite, its a perfectly smooth gradient, where as on my phone, you can see some lines as the gradient changes. Weird however that only in specific gradients can I tell that, because videos look great.

In any event, I hope you don't mind me offering up my two cents. So far, other than inherent OS drawbacks, like the inefficient clutter style marketplace search, or lack of URL bar in landscape, I've had an excellent user experience on this device up to now. I'm most grateful that the wake/sleep button is on top where it belongs, and the big screen gives me a keyboard my fingers can type well on. Wallyworld has the perfect Case Logic case for this thing too. Slides right in and out with no need to 'push' it out.

In any event brother, I hope you find the device that brings a little enjoyment and contentment to your life. Take care.
  17. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Just got mine yesterday; bought off eBay. Took 10 minutes for AT&T to open new account, port my old number over and send me on my way.

Put the 32 GB Kingston 4 Micro SD card in; hard reset and now hve over 37 GB of useful memory. Iet took me about an hour to port over my Outlook contacts and am now searching for the easiest way to set up the Outlook calendar. Once this is done; enjoy and grow.

Has anyone done the unlock for WP7? There are some neat programs not on the Marketplace yet that I wan't to try.
  18. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Well I'm tied to AT&T because of our family plan.

I prefer a phone thin as possible but wants a nice big bright screen.
    The LG, screen isn't much more then my current iPhone. Phone is thicker then it has to be for me because I don't care about a slide out keyboard.

The HTC Surround. SERIOUSLY? A speaker?! Seriously. You guys.... seriously?

I see there is a rumor of the HD7 maybe showing up on AT&T, that could be pretty cool if so or maybe I just wait for round 2.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I would've loved to gone with the HD7, but T-mo is pretty weak in my area. I went with the Focus, and switched to the Surround a few weeks later. I think HTC makes some really solid devices and actually released and continue to release some pretty useful apps to enhance hardware. Not saying I didn't like the Focus. I mean, it's popular for a reason. It's exterior styling certainly has mass appeal. That is what drew me to purchase it in the first place. Having used both the Focus and Surround, I like the Surround, even if it was made without the speakers. To me the speakers aren't home theater great, but they are still a plus.

HD7 coming to AT&T rumor is pretty exciting and great for AT&T customers. The more choices, the better!
  20. JustinSurf

JustinSurf New Member

I had the same problem with the body glove case on the Samsung Focus causing the buttons to get pressed when holding the phone. I ended up cutting out holes for the buttons with an exacto knife and now it works great. Its really annoything that I had to go to the trouble though. Its like no one even tried out the case or they would have known it was fatally flawed!