Maybe Not So Good

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jeff1974w, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jeff1974w

jeff1974w New Member

Maybe Not So Good

:frown:The bad: The Q9m's performance can be sluggish at times, and it lacks integrated Wi-Fi. We also wish Motorola had upgraded the camera to a 2-megapixel shooter, and there's no support for V Cast videos at this time. The smart phone is slightly bigger and heavier, and the screen holds a lot of smudges and fingerprints. Windows Live and Live Messenger are stripped out of the smart phone.

From http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-phones/motorola-q9m-verizon-wireless/4505-6452_7-32575466.html
  2. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

I agree,but....

I bought the $65.00 (could have probably got it cheaper on ebay) spectec wifi card and I'm finally coming along. I still have the black as a standby. I hope they made a side charger for the Q9 in my lifetime. In the end I can't believe they consider this and "upgrade" you pay X amount for a phone of this nature and you expect a little more...scratch that, A lot more..
  3. jeff1974w

jeff1974w New Member

so what was the reason for going with the new q??? do you like the wm6? any problems yet?
  4. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

I actually called verizon even though I had another 6 or 8 months until I could renew and talked them into letting me do it now - I got the phone for $216. I love watching dvds,etc - a little gaming - mostly the pda part that keeps my life in order - I now use the wifi of course and am happy with it. I have opera but haven't played with it all that much. WM6 looks nicer and has some little additions that wm5 didn't - but I would strongly urge anyone not to upgrade just for the operating sys unless of course they're having issues with it. I only got the phone for one reason...wifi. I'm actually going to call verizon in the next couple of days and verify that I'm not being billed for data usage when wifi is enabled and active. I can gnerally tell the difference because the wifi has the little tower icon and when I'm on their data network it shows a mini-q icon and that top, now when ever I'm using wifi I never see that I'm on their network but I have had verizon a long time and I could see them trying to bill me. I'm sure the answer is no but I'm going to verify anyway.
  5. jeff1974w

jeff1974w New Member

i thought to even have any pda/smartphone you had to have a data plan also? atleast thats what the salesman told me when i was looking to buy the q.
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

You can get the pay as you go plan then put on a data block, so in effect you still have a plan, your just blocking its use.

My issue with the wifi right now is I can't get anything but IE to use it. There are 5 connection profiles and the second one is work and its the only one that will allow wifi to be selected. then in IE you can select automatic or one of the 5 profiles. So when I select work it uses wifi, if I leave it automatic it tries the first one which uses data and if I turn the phone part off it fails. All the third party apps i've tried such as google maps or oggsync all fail, I assume hitting the first profile but not falling down to the next. I'm trying to figure out if those 5 are in the registry where I can add wifi to the first.
  7. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Well I figured out my issue, there was a way to associate the wifi with one of those other connections. Got it figured out and google maps, oggsync,etc all work.
    Battery life seems pretty decent, I've been messing with it since I last posted, connected to wifi the whole time, last charge was last night and was on standby all day and took a couple pictures at the play place at the mall today and I've only dropped one bar on the battery.
  8. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

He lied to you...one disadvantage is that pics are sent via the network so if you blocked data you would ensure that your only using wifi and not getting billed for that usage ...but no pics will come through
  9. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Was the setting in the WiFi card software or in WM 6?
  10. Eugene

Eugene New Member

WM6. There is no wifi card software other than a driver.
  11. troutseth

troutseth Guest

perfect thanks
  12. Eugene

Eugene New Member

That part was pretty simple, it was just figuring out that five connections layer in the middle. Now that I understand it some it sort of makes sense for a non tech user because IT can set up "internet" or "work" or whatever and the end user can choose those based on where they are. I assume thats what they are for. I wish there was a little more documentation on WM6.
  13. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

I've already spoken to spectec about putting something together...something user friendlly...
  14. Eugene

Eugene New Member

nothing unfriendly about the driver, just drop it on the phone and install it.

The CD had some menu driven installer for everything but WM6 so my guess was its just older stock and they will probably just master new cd's with the wm6 driver in there.