Major downfall of WP7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Honorary Title, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Honorary Title

Honorary Title New Member

Little background on this before I explain the downfall....

Okay so one of the biggest features of WP7 is cross platform capability (xbox, zune, social networking blah blah blah). Hell, even Microsoft has been singing this tune since the days of Games for Windows began. So why the hell can't you understand your own plan Microsoft?

Here is the issue:

• Zune can be shared with up to three devices. Well that is fantastic if you live in the pre WP7 world.
    • Xbox now has a family plan for 4 accounts for $99 a year
    • Windows Live can only be tied to one Gamertag
    • Windows Live can only be tied to one Zunetag
    So essentially a family of 2-3 people are screwed if they want to have individual gamertags and share a zune pass.

My wife and I share a Zune pass, have two Gamertags and both have WP7 devices. So the long and short of it is, one of us can't have both a Zune pass and a Xbox Live Gamertag linked to our phone. It's either we get two Zune passes (which is ridiculous) or we go without a feature that is a big piece of WP7 (xbox integration).

This is really pissing me off and makes me want to go back to my iphone and still use our zune devices instead of our phones.

By the way this has all been confirmed with Microsoft, i spoke to Zune Tech and Xbox Live Tech.
    Aximtreo likes this.
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

The Zune Pass itself allows for 3 devices, so they should allow more than one Zunetag. I agree with you -- maybe it's just a case of they haven't figured all the particulars out just yet. You have a family plan on your Xbox, but cannot use all the features on your phones (restricting gamertags, zune tags).

*Shakes head*
  3. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

True. You'd ideally be able to use Zune Pass on any gamertag that is associated with your XBOX LIVE family plan. Or heck, even your cell phone provider's phone family plan.
  4. Honorary Title

Yeah it is pissing me off. In the meantime, in two years when they realize the dilemma, my wife will go without xbox access. Looks like they are missing out on sales.
  5. chris

BTW, which phones did you get?
  6. Josh Burkholder

Josh Burkholder New Member

There is a way around the zune issue. When you add a windows live account, both you and your wife add the windows live account associated with your zune pass as the primary windows live account on your WP7. Then if you have a another live account add it also. As long as the primary windows live account on your WP7 matchs your that of your zune pass and zune tag your phone will be able to take advantage of the zune pass on 3g or wifi.
  7. Honorary Title

Josh, that is basically what we had to do so we could use the zune pass and one id to purchase items under. However, in doing so you cannot get any other xbox live gamertag linked other than the one that is tied to the zune pass.
  8. Honorary Title

BTW Chris, we both have Samsung Focuses
  9. chris

Cool. Great phone, that's what I have also.
  10. RobR

RobR Member

Microsoft definitely needs to address this default account business. In order to get my Xbox Live setup with my proper gamer tag I had to setup my Xbox hotmail account as the primary. I then added my regular hotmail account for my email but the problem I have now is that my phone syncs with my Xbox email for photos and onenote. There should be more flexibility to specify what accounts you want linked to different phone features.
  11. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

Surely the Zune Pass is associated only for a single person anyway?

$14.99 (including keeping 10 tracks) is a bargain for one person. I can't imagine the 3 device limit is to allow you to share that with 2 other members of your family. I'd have been far more inclined to believe the device limit was to allow you to use it on xbox, pc, or WP7.
  12. Honorary Title

Yeah, i think that was the idea around it originally for MS, but i have been using it with two Zune 30 gigs, then two Zune HDs forever. Now that i have two phones, why shouldn't they operate the same? That is my gripe. Don't give me something and then take it away when i adopt your new hardware. Hardware that you really don't have a marketshare at all to begin with.
  13. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

Depends how you look at it. From Microsoft's perspective, you've been cheating their system for years, and they've finally stopped you (well on the phone at least ;))
  14. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

I doubt that there are many people that are going to be willing to buy several Zune passes to be used by each member of the family.

I know that I'm not going to buy another Netflix account just so that my wife and I could have our own.
    chris likes this.
  15. chris

Good point.
  16. Honorary Title

Yes, Good point Winning Guy. Besides, it is not cheating the system or MS. It clearly states that the pass can be used on up to three devices. So if i can use it on a PC and two Zunes, which it clearly accepts and recognizes as two seperate Zunes, then how are two Windows Phones any different? (the Zunes are no longer associated with the account, therefore the total device count is still 3)