Mail on SD card

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by coop5571, Aug 24, 2007.

1. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Mail on SD card

Alright I've spent the better part of the morning trying to get email on my Q9m to save on the mini SD card with no success. I successfully unlocked the registry using AEconfig fired up my registry editor created all the necessary folders and entries in the registry (No Luck). I even remembered there was a cab file that set this up automatically. I installed the cab file and it did tell me that this file was written for a previous version of windows mobile, however it did install still (No Luck). I have given up for now but hopefully someone has already done this or will have some success. If you do please let me know & maybe & can figure out what I did wrong or failed to do.
  2. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Has anyone attempted to set this up yet? I still have been unable to get it to save to the sd card automatically. I can move all the mail and attachments to the card and still pull them up, but it just won't automatically save to the card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. garment69

garment69 New Member

When setting up the account, under advanced settings, was there not an option to store attachments to the memory card?
  4. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I know that in Tweaks2k2 there is an option but as discussed with the developer it is not recommended due to the risk of data corruption. YMMV, so d/l a copy of tweaks2k2 and demo it to see if it works. I would except I have a WM5 Q right now.

That is not currently in WM5 Smartphone edition and I not having a Q9(h or global etc) I could not say. But for some reason MS does not allow this on the WM Standard side but does on the WM Professional side which to me is odd (get a storage card just as you would on the pro side.). You also need to check off and then sync to d/l attachments too which is a pain.
  5. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

There are (3) options under advanced settings, conflict(replace or keep item on device), Event Logging(none,brief, or verbose), and Connection(internet). There doesn't appear to be anything listed in the q9m manual either.

I tried the hack that worked on my old Q but i guess that only worked in WM5.

Maybe someone will figure this out. It seems very strange that this is not an option like it is for the camera. Given the limited amount of built in storage.
  6. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Did you try turning off the broadband connection and then use the WiFi? It may continue to use the default internet connection otherwise.
  7. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

I don't have a WiFi card.
  8. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Sorry about that, I posted it in the wrong thread.
  9. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

minor update, this is not a permanent fix by any means, however I was able to go in to file manager and select all of the emails saved on the device and move them to the mail folder that I created on the storage card in one simple step. And since I configured the registry to read mail on the storage card i'm still able to view it. I'm content to move my email over to the storage card manually for now, but it sure would be nice if there was a way to get this done automactically.
  10. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

It would be nice if FlexMail offered that feature.
  11. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Here's the keys to save email to the storage card for wm6 devices (I think I got this from the xda-developer's forum):

The Key in WM6 is:

HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings

add "PropertyPath" value="\Storage Card\Mail" datatype="string"

actually I had to add also key "AttachPath" with value "\Storage Card\Mail\Attachments" without quotas.

I finally had time to test this and it appears to be working. I think you probably want to empty your email first (maybe copy it all to a different folder in Outlook).
  12. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

No Go for me.

Maybe I missed something, I added the registry keys under

HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings:

Key Name: PropertyPath
    Value Name: Default
    Value Data: \Storage Card\Mail

Data Type: String (for both)

Key Name: AttachPath
    Value Name: Default
    Value Data: \Storage Card\Mail\Attachments

Still saving mail to device.

I do however, appreciate your response.
  13. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

I think I navigated using Resco Registry editor to:
    HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings
    then (while the two .. were highlighted) hit the Action button; then New|String Value and typed in under Name: PropertyPath with a String value of \Storage Card\Mail

I followed the same procedure for the attachments. Actually, the first time I typed it as StorageCard rather than Storage Card and ended up with a directory call StorageCard.

Now, in the registry under Settings - there is a listing for AttachPath (with an "ab" icon) and a value of ]Storage Card\Mail\Attachments and a listing for PropertyPath too.

Hope this helps.

Jason
  14. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Hallelujah Amen! That was easy enough.

I added another registry key which was a separate folder under settings. Now I understand I was supposed to add another string within the settings folder.

I just sent my self an email & it went straight to the storage card.

Thank you, Thank you.
  15. JBK617

JBK617 New Member

Is there any way that you can post a screen shot of the registry to see what it looks like? I am having a difficult time getting this to work

Thanks
    Rick
  16. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

See if this helps. Navigate to the registry location discussed above & don't forget you need to create a Mail folder on your storage card and an Attachments subfolder. Hope it works.

Attached Files:

17. JBK617

JBK617 New Member

Thank you, just what I was looking for
  18. mindfrost82

mindfrost82 New Member

I know it was said that this works with wm6, but does it work on the wm5 Q's as well?
  19. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

There is a cab file that you can search for & download that will set this up for you automatically GEEKTRIBE or something which works for WM5 and not WM6. The registry edit in this post works for WM6.
  20. pablorf

pablorf New Member

Coop,

I tried to add the string but my phone keeps giving me a ERROR, and it doesnt allow me to add anything (cant even edit) :frown:, do I need to unlock the phone to be able to edit the registry??
    PS. I am using resco (trial version)
    Thx