MacBookPro tethered to Q successfully...

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by MarkHolbrook, Oct 27, 2006.

1. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

MacBookPro tethered to Q successfully...

Well I paid verizon their $15 a month and went and tried to follow the directions for VZ Access manager which failed miserably.

I was however able to just pair my Q with my MBP and set up the modem and entered the phonenumber@vzw3g.com and password and it is working.

It works rather well... However it likes to disconnect periodically. I'm wondering what might be causing that. Anyone else?
  2. angasreid

angasreid New Member

How'd you do it. Fill me in!
    -Angas
  3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

Sorry to take so long getting back... Project deadlines and little time...

The process was this:

1) I went and was about to purchase the Express card from Verizon but it would have added another $49 per month on top of my unlimited data for my Q. The sales rep (I guess one of the few that really knows) suggested the tethering option which would add $15 to the account. Verizon has a 30 day (15 in some places) try it policy so I figured if it didn't work I'd get my $15 back and go with the Express card.

2) He told me to wait an hour before trying it after it was keyed into the computer. I waited almost two. I then did the phone reprogramming *228 and let Verzion re-program my phone.

3) I was instructed to download the Mac VZAccess Manager and attempted to follow that route but it refused to work. I was almost to the point of calling Verizon for the Express card when I decided to try to see if I could manually get BT to recognize my phone.

4) I went through the Mac OS bluetooth pairing process with my phone. After it was paired I had the following in the devices section under my phone:

OBEX File Transfer, OBEX Object Push, Generic Serial, Dial-up Networking, Audio Gateway, Audio Gateway, Network Access, Network Access

5) When I saw the dial-up networking I figured ok... At least my phone thinks it can act as a modem.

6) With my MacBookPro disconnected from any network I went to network preferences, selected show bluetooth and entered the following:

Provider: Verizon
    Account name: <my phone number>@vzw3g.com
    Password: vzw
    Telephone number: #777

Under the bluetooth modem there were about 1000 scripts. I selected Verizon Support (PC 5220) probably just because it had Verizon in the name.

I also selected show bluetooth and modem status in the menu bar.

7) I now had a menu item (telephone icon) that allowed me to select Verizon and there was a connect option. I selected that and the next thing I know I'm connected.

The only problem I've had with this and I haven't used it very much yet is sometimes it just disconnects on its own. But one day I did do over 1 hour of web surfing and ate up a ton of battery on my Q.

So the extended battery is a must and most likely if on a trip, a way to charge or a backup battery is important.

Hope this helps.
  4. sryser

sryser New Member

Works great ...

Thanks Mark, I tried the steps just as you described, and sure enough ... I'm surfing courtesy of my phone. Thanks for sharing the info!!

My earlier attempts at this involved using parallels and a windows VM trying to use verizon's access manager, windows active sync, etc all from the windows side, hoping my mac would then be able to share the network connection as a resource from parallels ... and I had at least half dozen roadblocks in that approach.
  5. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

Sreyser,

Glad it worked. I too use Parallels EXTENSIVELY but 95% of the time I'm hardwired to the company LAN.

When I got this feature working I did try switching Parallels over to "shared networking" and it seemed to work through the phone just fine. I hope it continues that way.

Let me know if you see disconnects. I have seen them happen just for no reason at all. Then it will turn around and stay connected for an hour for me.

It was a kick at my last HOA meeting. I was sitting there and someone asked a question about some Colorado housing rule. I had my MBP on my lap, just in Mac OS X, and was taking notes. I had my Q in the holster on my side.

I clicked on the modem, told it to connect and the girl sitting next to me was like watching and her eyes got big and said, "you must have a wireless card or something because my laptop wireless doesn't work here." She was also taking some notes.

I continued to surf the web in front of her on my compact little MBP while her huge Toshiba sat just being a word processor. I found the data I wanted and read it off to the group.

it was cool. The phone never left my side this whole time.

M
  6. Mainpower

Mainpower New Member

I got it... so far at least :)

Ok So I got the bluetooth teather going just as you have listed out to do. I too had the constant log ooff problems... so I was fiddling

I went into the accessories folder I think it is, on the start menu where there is an icon that says modem link... click in there hit activate

now, try and connect via bluetooth. I have been connected for about an hour now. I've tried everything that usually disconnects me (www.espn.com, ichat, and other web pages) and nothing has knocked me off.

Also, just so you know everything I am doing, I have the phone pluged into the usb for power, but I don't think that is effecting the connection... just not letting the power die.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  7. themacjunkie

themacjunkie New Member

i tried this and i got an error msg saying "authentication failed"
    :frown:

anyone know what could be the issue ?
  8. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

Make sure your login name is your FULL phone number @ vzw3g.com

Area code must be included. Then the password should simply be vzw I think.
  9. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

Hi Mike,

Well that modem link thing seemed to work however something wierd just happened. I had the link made and was browsing when my phone popped up a reminder. Nothing on the front panel of the keyboard of the phone would work to dismiss the reminder. Nothing.

Have you noticed this?

I disconnected and still could not get access to my phone. I had to power it down then back up. Wierd.

Also, does anyone know, while linked on bluetooth and connected to Verizon for data I assume it will NOT accept any incoming voice calls correct?

Mark
  10. sryser

sryser New Member

disconnect seems to be weather

Mark - just to follow up, I was out in Western MD over Thanksgiving, it's fairly remote. The first night I tried using the Q as a Bluetooth modem, I could only get on for a few minutes at a time, then the connection would drop. The next day I tried again and was on for hours with no drop. Only difference: the weather - raining/nasty the first night; sunny, clear, warm the next day. Weather definitely impacts transmission characteristics, especially when you're on the rural fringe. Maybe that's the source of your disconnect? (as opposed to a software glitch?).
  11. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook New Member

sreyser... Very possible. I have RF engineering background and I do understand that with the milliwatt signals these phones are dealing with that things can really have an effect.

Where I have mainly been testing my phone is at work where my signal is lousey to begin with. I wonder though in your situation in MD if the 640 Verizon express card would have worked better signal wise. Just curious.

The tip above to enable the modem link certainly helped but the "freezing phone" when the reminder came up was disturbing. Out of all the phones I had this Windows based phone is very reliable. It is right up there with how well my BB 7250 used to work. Rarely had to reboot that. Whereas my first Windows Smartphone crashed and was really a terrible phone. This one is quite good and I'm enjoying it.

One of the reasons I went this route over the BB 7250 is to have better multimedia and pix support and it certainly does ok on that.
  12. vespa1

vespa1 New Member

password

this might be more of a mac issue, but it is sure annoying...
    Everytime I try to connect, the password field has about 12 dots... I will delete them, type vzw, and the stupid 12 dots appear again and again. I tried deleting any keychains and that did nothing. I am about to give up :(
  13. Steve-san

Steve-san New Member

Same thing happens to me. I believe this is a Mac feature. Its purpose is to prevent prying eyes from knowing how many characters are in your password. The correct three-letter password is still stored.
  14. Steve-san

Steve-san New Member

I'm using the Q tethered to my PowerBook (G4 15" Titanium) via USB; I don't know whether the behavior is different when tethering via Bluetooth. The phone does ring with incoming voice calls and places outgoing voice calls while simultaneously serving as a modem. It says it won't do "internal data calls" at the same time; I assume that means no Web browsing on the phone while acting as your computer's modem. (I tried it, and got an error message saying it can't do a data call while a voice call is in progress. No voice call was in progress, so it must have meant while it's in use as a tethered modem.)
  15. Steve-san

Steve-san New Member

I had this problem too. Called Verizon; they had forgotten to activate the $15/month BroadbandAccess Connect feature. Once it was activated, no authentication problems. (But huge trouble getting kicked offline every minute or two. Can anyone help with that?)
  16. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Guys, I just tried this and got the same &quot;authentication failure&quot; message

I was SOOO hopeful, too. Might this have to do with firmware?
  17. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

Wow, got it to work. But

Parallels doesn't see the connection, and suddenly my Q doesn't sync (as if it doesn't see the USB connection). Can I sync via BT?
  18. angasreid

angasreid New Member

My Parallels had the same issue on my MacBook Pro. I just updated to the latest version, and it seems to recognize it better.
  19. Over The Hill

Over The Hill New Member

I'm running build 3188...I get a message bout...

...the network adapter?
  20. biggsean

biggsean New Member

Has anybody been able to tether their Sprint Qs yet?