Lost contacts...Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by serf33, May 29, 2008.

1. serf33

serf33 New Member

Lost contacts...Please help!!!

So I did the required software update and now I have no contacts. I do not use outlook so I have no contacts anywhere else. I've determined that I do have the pim.vol file that is supposed to be the contacts. I've tried copying it to places to see if anything would work, but it doesn't. Can anyone step by step this out for me? I have the Transfer commander, but I don't really know where to copy anything to....help!!!
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

welcome aboard...

copy it to the root of the Q.. and after that reboot (if you have the old pim.vol on the pc, copy it anywhere to the Q, then with the File Manager copy in to the root (top directory/folder)
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

search pim.vol
    this has been talked about alot

-Sent from my Q
  4. serf33

serf33 New Member

Ok explain "copy it to the root". I don't know if I'm copying it to the wrong place or what....
  5. serf33

serf33 New Member

I've been reading the forums and trying things for 3 hours now so I apologize if I'm a little frustrated and would like some help.......
  6. there is a pim.vol file on your device that has your contacts information.
    copy that off to the phone.
  7. serf33

serf33 New Member

I've copied it like 6 times. Where EXACTLY do I copy it too???? And don't just say the root please....
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

the root....

seriously, copy it to the "folder" where you see Windows, Program Files, Application Data, etc.

and the contacts are in the pim.vol that was on the Q BEFORE the software update.. copying it after the update does nothing since it's an empty file.
  9. Good point.
  10. serf33

serf33 New Member

During the update I clicked a box saying I wanted it to back up the information on my phone. I still have my photos, ringtones, etc. pim.vol is like 300k so it's not an empty file.... did I assume wrong then?
  11. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

do what they said copy it to / ( the root ) where are he folders are like my documents program files
  12. serf33

serf33 New Member

you obviously didn't read anything I wrote....this phone is a piece of junk
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

frankly... you have trouble doing something on the device and now it's a piece of junk ? where did it save the information ?

potQ.
  14. Zinja

Zinja New Member

Lost contacts...

Moto Q9c (Sprint)

I ran Windows Update this morning and I also lost ALL contacts. Emails, phone numbers etc. I did not do a backup. My pim.vol file is 434 k, so it doesn't APPEAR empty, but is it?

Copied the pim.vol file into (/) rebooted, and still no contacts.

Can someone PLEASE provide a solution? Will this process work better from a computer with activesync?
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

okay... in case you did not copy the pim.vol to a safe place BEFORE the update, chances are you are SOL. if you did copy the pim.vol to a safe place then follow the instructions as stated..
  16. Zinja

Zinja New Member

safe place

I copied them to the root of the phone (/) as instructed. I did not back up my contact info onto a pc before this, if that's what you mean.

Like I said, I copied the pim file, restarted, and still no contacts? Any other ideas?

fyi, I WILL be purchasing Sprite tonight:)
  17. n99hockey

if you copied it to the root of the device then reset the device then its not going to work
    sooooo if the pim.vol file was still on the device somewhere when you did the reset and not on a PC or storage card then it is bye bye
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

from where did you copy it to the root ? and when ?

potQ.
  19. Zinja

Zinja New Member

reset

I did not do a 'reset' I did a reSTART, after searching for the pim file in 'find', as instructed. Found the pim file in the (/) root, then recopied it to the root. Tried NOT replacing the pim file (when asked if I wanted to replace) and I tried replacing the pim file, and both times the contacts did not show up.

Why would they be 'bye bye' if the file size still says 428k? Ideas?

Started doing this all around 830 a.m. Ran an update at around 745 am. If that helps.
  20. n99hockey

what i dont get is your time frame

you copied it from the root then copied it back to the root..
    that doesnt make any sense...you basically copied the same file over one another making no changes after the update

the firmware update you did on the device clears the device of all items including contacts
    so no you didnt do a reset per say but you did wipe your device like a reset

so what we are trying to understand is

did you (BEFORE the update) copy the pim.vol file OFF the device
    if not then they are gone