Longest you've gone without a charge?

Discussion in 'Samsung Saga' started by kingman4, Apr 21, 2009.

1. kingman4

kingman4 New Member

Longest you've gone without a charge?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a saga, but every review i've read has complained in one way shape or form about the limited battery life on the saga. Before taking the plunge, what I'd like to know is after the various regedit entry mods, getting the bigger battery, and disabling wifi and bluetooth, what is the longest you guys have gone without a charge, on average? Also please describe your typical device usage such as movies, music, apps, txting, etc.

Much appreciated!

Thanks
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I came to the saga from the original Q which we all know the battery really stunk in. On my saga i have no complaints really about the battery I surf the web alot on the wifi and on the regular data network, also i run tons of different apps and text alot. During the day the phone at first died very fast for me just because at my office we have no verizon signal so it keeps searching for signal which was killing the battery best thing bout the phone is if you are in an area where this is no signal you can leave the phone powered on and just turn off the antenna, with the antenna turned off from 9-5 and still surfing the net while at work on the phone via the wifi and using google maps when driving home, the battery lasts throughout the day for the most part, dont really need to charge it til i go to bed, and i prob. could even wait til the last day.

Biggest drain on battery from what i've learned it signal searching, and usage of the internet and various programs oh and i tether my phone to access the internet on my laptop at times (kills it a little more)

Which phone you coming from?
  3. kingman4

kingman4 New Member

This is going to be my first smartphone purchase, so i'm coming from a samsung alias. I can typically go maybe 3 days without a charge on my current phone with moderate calling and texting.

I've been exploring all the options that are coming out soon - the pre, the next gen iphone, and the niagara, and the one that fits the bill for me the most is the saga with the iphone coming in second. AT&T is a big turn-off for me, however, as in my area AT&T's service is pretty horrible. I'm in the NY / NJ metro area.

So from what you're saying you can go a day or two on a full charge?
  4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Pretty much around a day, if you use the phone only for what you do now like just making phone calls and texting than yes def more than a day but when you utilize the other features it does eat at the battery more. if you just like the way the iphone looks there are plenty of apps to make the saga look just like it but its so much better since it has KEYS :) and not just a touch screen. Im also in the metro area north jersey to be exact. Saga is the way to go.
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

If I might interject an opinion.....

My saga, with my usage, can easily go a day+ using the extended battery. I call, text, surf moderately, and my email gets pushed/pulled to the phone across 3 accounts...exchange as it happens and otehrs on a set schedule. BT stays on, although not in discover mode, WiFi stays off.

All that being said, as DragonFly said, the quickest way to kill a battery is to search for towers. Other things such as tweaks and all will *maybe* gain you some battery life (there are not definative results on this, merely user opinion), but it most certainly isn't going to take it from say 1 day to 3. And you're probably not going to be searching for towers much in the NY/NJ metro area.

All *that* being said, why are you worried about this? I don't mean that to be obnoxious, but to get you to look at it in a different manner. How long can *you* go without a charge? Less than a day, right? Then you sleep. So let your phone do the same! You've got a charger. Plug it in when you go to sleep and when you wake up it'll be charged. Make it a simple routine and the problem that people obsess about goes completely away.

The Saga is a great phone and it sounds like you've been very thorough in your research and looking at your needs. In *my* opinion, the whole battery life routine is way overdone. If it won't last a day, there's a problem. Beyond that is gravy...plus they make these things called outlets and you never have to have an uncharged phone.

My opinion only. YMMV.
  6. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Remember reviews are written by people, mostly people who don't think and who play with the phone for 2 hours or 1 day and turn everything on they can, surf for 8 hours, drain the battery and then complain. Features listing may be realistic. Explanation of options and settings may be realistic. In reviews, complaints about things like screen sie, battery life, keyboard look and feel, etc are highly individualistic and writers don't stick with product long enough to get anything other than a smattering of *their* opinion. How many times have you read a review of a movie or TV show that panned it and then watched it and said this was great! Probably a lot more than you said "man...I agree with every point they made!"
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Currently, you will not get three days between charges on any smart phone with normal usage.
    Just get an additional charger and juice up at work..
  8. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

yeah i just got 2 extra chargers
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You could also just leave it plugged into the usb at work say and it charges that way too if you dont want to carry around an extra charger, just remember to bring home the usb :)
  10. tman065

tman065 New Member

I charge mine (extended battery) every day. With my pattern of use, the battery usually has between 35-50% charge left.

I have two email accounts (one on MS exchange & both checking every 30 minutes), lots of incoming and some outgoing texts, and moderate internet use. I keep bluetooth and wifi turned off for the most part. If I am going to use the wi-fi I will plug the phone in.
  11. kingman4

kingman4 New Member

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I've taken the plunge and ordered the phone off the 3gstore.com.
  12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

awesome glad to hear you are joining the sagaland. Make sure to let us know your opinions of the phone.
  13. MyPhoneIsBlue

MyPhoneIsBlue New Member

I get about a day and a half with normal usage with the standard battery. If i have IM+ or fim on all day it will last till about 6pm.

Chargers are cheap. Keep a spare at work and one in the car and you'll be fine. You can also pick up an extra regular battery pretty cheap, and the charger case samsung makes is great. With the extra battery and the extra chargers I never have power issues.

You just have to remember this isn't a phone as much as a little computer. Treat the power usage as you would your laptop and you'll be golden.