Locking/Unlocking Q Causes Power Management Settings to Reset

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by marks70, Dec 20, 2006.

1. marks70

marks70 New Member

Locking/Unlocking Q Causes Power Management Settings to Reset

I just noticed that whenever I lock and unlock my Q, the settings I configured under Power Management gets reset to default settings. Specifically the Backlight timeout keeps getting reset to "Never".

Is this a known issue, or does my Q have a unique "trait"?
  2. ericeks

ericeks New Member

Mine randomly does this also. It switches "Backlight T/O on Bat" to "never" sometimes after unlocking phn. Also does this when phn is unlocked and display has auto shut off and I turn on my Bluetooth earpiece.

This is VERY anoying, as you have to go into the settings and switch back.

I did the MOL2 upgrade a week ago. This started happening about 4 days later. The only change I made to the phone the day it started was to install TCPMP player.

Anyone else having this issue?? Any suggestions??

Eric
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Display Timeout Bug

I think there's a bug if the backlight timeout is set to a value greater than or equal to the display timeout. For example, on my Q using MOL1, I set the battery backlight timeout to 60 seconds, the AC backlight timeout to Never and the display timeout to Never.

After Sprite backup resets my Q, the display timeout was set to 5 seconds, which is very annoying.

I changed the AC backlight timeout to 5 minutes and the display timeout to 10 minutes and those settings seem to have stuck.

Steve
  4. ericeks

ericeks New Member

Backlight Time Out Bug

You may be right about that scenerio...but this is my settings:
    ----Backlight T/O on Bat: 30 sec
    ----Backlight T/O on AC: 1 min
    ----Display T/O: 5 min

I've used those settings for five weeks, then did the MOL2 upgrade. After smooth upgrade, changed the default power settings to those above. Phone worked well for 4 days, then the backlight/battery setting would randomly change to "never" forcing the backlight AND display to remain on indefinitely.

I just finished doing Master Reset and setting phone back up...we'll see if that fixes it...
  5. marks70

marks70 New Member

Well, this is either a bug with the black Q's or with the newer software release, because I now I have my second black Q, and it does the same thing. When I tried duplicating this on the silver Q's in the store, it didn't happen.

What I've discovered is that if you set the Backlight timeout to 5 seconds, that's when it reverts back to "Never". Really kind of annoying, so now I set my to the default of 10 seconds, and it seems to be okay.
  6. walkerbrandonj

walkerbrandonj New Member

Regardless of any backlight time out setting, the Q automatically changes the setting to NEVER after locking/unlocking the keypad. The other two settings remain unchanged.

By default, even when the backlight time out is automatically changed to NEVER after locking/unlocking the keypad, the keypad backlight turns off in sync with the display time out.

Basically, if you use keypad lock, your 'master' setting for either backlights on your Q will be your display time out setting. If you don't use keypad lock, you can set each time out seperately with no negative results.

Tests were conducted using MOL2, Motorola's latest update, on a Silver Motorola Q.

Hopefully they fix this soon, as I like to have my backlight time out after five seconds, followed by my display after 10.
  7. eventsource

eventsource New Member

Any word?

Has anyone heard anything more about this problem? It is driving my boss crazy. He sets the backlight for 30 seconds, locks the phone and, when he unlocks the phone, it reverts back to 5 seconds. If anyone has found or heard of a solution, please do post! Thanks!
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Just Go Into Settings

I haven't heard of a fix, but whenever I unlock now, the first thing I do is go into settings and reset the values to what I want. As my lock time is set to 12 hours, it's something I only have to do once or twice a day.

Steve
  9. eventsource

eventsource New Member

Re: Crazy

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, he locks his keyboard every time he's done using it because he' s always accidentally pressing buttons. I'll keep waiting! :smile:
  10. jagadberry

jagadberry New Member

I will take a stab at this as it was driving me crazy too. Started by some assumptions. When unlocking phone, the actual time the screen would stay on was 2 seconds and not the default 5 seconds. If the phone didn't lock, then the display would use the default timeout I would set in "Settings" and "Power Management"(which goes to 5 sec when unlocked). With that, off to the registry.

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Power showed two settings.

1. Display 0x5 (5) which I assumed is the 5 sec if screen is not locked. (This value is the value that comes up in "Settings" and "Power Management"

2. TimeoutWhenLocked 0x2 (2) which I assumed is the 2 sec when screen is locked.

Changed the TimeoutWhenLocked to 0x1E (30) first to have a play. Locked the phone (took 30 seconds for the display to turn off) and unlocked the phone and the display stayed on for 30 seconds. But surprise, the "Display time out" under "Settings" and "Power Manangement" changed from 5 sec to 30 sec.

This is what I think is happening. If the phone never locks, then the display time will be whatever value you pick in the drop down menu under "Settings" and "Power Management". If the phone locks, then the registry "TimeoutWhenLock" will transfer its value to the registry "Display". And since the drop down menu for "Settings" and "Power Management" does not have a value for 2 sec, it will set the Display Time out" to show 5 sec.

I tried it with other values to confirm. Whatever I set in the registry "TimeoutWhenLock" that was the same as a value under "Settings" and "Power Management", that value would be the new "Display time out"

Hope this helps and someone else can confirm this fix.
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

That's a good analysis. I had changed my TimeoutWhenLocked value to 20 seconds a while back and my Display time out value is 10 minutes (600 seconds). After a reboot, my display does indeed time out after 20 seconds (but the Display time out value shows 5 seconds because there's no entry for 20 seconds).

Maybe there's a bug then. I also saw a TimeoutSaved value in the registry with a value of 600. If other people see that same registry entry, I'm guessing the system is supposed to copy the TimeoutSaved value back to the Display value after the device is unlocked. Maybe that second copy isn't getting done.

Anyway, I'm giving you a reputation boost for the idea and analysis.

Steve
  12. eventsource

eventsource New Member

I like your analysis!

Wow--this is great analytical work! I am going to play around with these settings as you described and see what I come up with. Thanks SO much for taking the time to post this!

FOLLOWUP: This worked beautifully--thank you!
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Possible Fix?

I wonder if creating a simple little program to copy that registry value and putting it in the StartUp folder would fix the problem.

From what I've seen, start-up programs get run after the device is unlocked, so it should work.

Steve
  14. Dayspring

Dayspring New Member

I have been looking for a solution to this problem also. However, I have not determined yet, exactly when the settings are being changed back to the default. I have locked and unlocked my phone, and the settings do not change. I run Candlelight which permanently dims the display, but that does not seem to change the settings. I have noticed that they may be changing when I plug in the phone to recharge.

I did have my phone Timeoutlocked set to 2 seconds. Perhaps that is the problem. I have changed it back to 5 seconds to see if that may solve the problem. Could be there is a setting that is incompatible with the 2 second setting in the registry. I am pretty sure the default under the MOL2 update on my phone was 5 seconds.

The reason I had mine set to 2 seconds is so it would minimize the time the display turned on when I bumped it with my elbow when it was on my belt. It seemed to really help with battery life.

It would be great if we could nail down precisely when this is occuring.
  15. Aircop56

Aircop56 New Member

Backlight Fever

I have noticed that when the phone rings my back light goes to never and if I do not change it back to 30 seconds after a call, it starts to run the battery down. So there is another problem.
  16. DiscWog

DiscWog New Member

I've got the same problem described above. I'm running Software Version Q2-BP_C_06.0B.11P and did not have the problem until I upgraded to this version.

I confirm that the bug is that whenever the phone locks, manually or automatically, the display timeout (HKCU\Control Panel\Power\Display) reverts to whatever is set in the registry value for HKCU\Control Panel\Power\TimeoutWhenLocked. None of the registry values in the registry for HKCU\Control Panel\Backlight change after locking/unlocking, so the problem is only with the Display setting.
  17. dunawayk

dunawayk New Member

Fix For Backlight On Motorola Q

There is a way to fix your motorola q from never turning off. You need to kill all programs in order to do this.

Go to start
    Then to System Tools
    Then to Task Manager
    Then hit Menu
    KILL ALL

This should fix the problems. Let me know how it works.
  18. ucla54

ucla54 New Member

I think I have a fix

So the whole goal of this thread is to figure out how to save battery power. Well I found out that if you change another setting on the phone, regardless of what you have set in power managment the "Display Screen" and "Backlight" will turn off. Here is what worked for me. May not be optimal, but it worked

Go to

Settings -- HomeScreen --Time out --- (Set that for 10 seconds)

Then go to

Settings -- Power management --- and set the back time out on batter for 10 seconds

and then set the Display time out for 10 seconds

This setting will automatically revert back to the "Back time out on batter" to "Never" however, both will go off at 10 seconds because of the change that you made in the home screen....

make sense....

e-mail me at ucla54 @ gmail . com if you have any quesitons.......

btw...I hate the q.
  19. Sus_L

Sus_L New Member

@ jagadberry. I used Resco Reg Editor to change the settings - annoying 2 sec timeout a thing of the past.

Great post. Thanks!!
  20. wymai

wymai New Member

My Plam-Treo500V has the same problem,and I have solved it。
    In the Registry
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Power\Locklevel
    change 'Locklevel'dword value'1' to '0'
    If there is no ‘Locklevel’ folder,you can creat one

wymai