List maker app is now available....

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by CodeGuy, Jul 24, 2006.

1. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

2. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I just ran into this today -- I was actually making quick notes (using my QNotes program ;-)) on what I wanted in my shopping list program -- great find for me, less work!

If I had to make a few (hopefully constructive criticizms), they would be:

(1) No direct download - (but that's my lazyness :))

(2) It's an EXE, creating an installation cab in VS2005 is sooooo easy (literally a 15 second process), and it automagically lets the user
    a. decide where to install the EXE,
    b. places the item in the Program Files\Product Name folder,
    c. adds a registry entry for Uninstall, AND
    d. adds an icon to the start menu

(3) Took me a little while to actually figure out how to get a new List Item into the list (I'm assuming down-arrow is the only way). I'm going to shoot myself for saying this as my manager told me this a million times when I was a jr. developer, but I would think either a button or catching the "enter" key as well as directional-down would add to the intuitiveness of it.

Your program seems to create two identical entries in the filesystem - <listname> and <listname>.lst -- what's the difference between the two?

Anyway, nice program! I'm sure I'll get a lot of mileage out of it!
  3. CodeGuy

CodeGuy New Member

Probably won't do this for a while, as I am pretty lazy as well ;) Seriously, as soon as I get around to doing an installer, i will...

Yea I know. I just slammed this together and made it available in like a day and a half though. I was also in the process of trying to write some code at the time for the government to allow a service running as LOCAL_SYSTEM to download patches from a server using only FIPS compliant crytographic modules, only over TLS, utilizing certificates with subject alternative names. Anyway, I was having to hand code most of this, so didn't really have much time to devote to the little list app :) Install is forthcoming <grin>.

I agree on the enter key thing. Or something. The down arrow action I kinda borrowed from Power Tasks Pro.

Actually, it creates <listname>.lst and <listname>.lst.bak. Being my first Q app, I thought it best to make backups in the event of file I/O errors. Most of this is going to go away in a future version, as I really don't like farting with lots of little files. Most likely I will be going either with an XML data store, Access Mobile, or SQL Server 2005 Mobile. Haven't really decided yet. More than likely it will be just XML as that affords more flexibility in terms of the number of other apps you can suck your data into :)

Thanks! I appreciate the commentary. Actually, I was starting to wonder if anyone was even using the thing :)

Grego