Linux

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by rhys_rhaven, Jun 10, 2007.

1. rhys_rhaven

rhys_rhaven New Member

Linux

This has probably been asked, but is it at all possible to get uclinux running on the Q? Save for the proprietary part, namely the entire phone section...

Really I don't much care whether its Linux or not, Just as long as its not Windows. Windows is horrible. It freezes up all the time, while txting, while getting phone calls, themes are not applied across the entire phone, buttons don't work the way I think they should and I can't change them. And the whole 12 hour battery life on idle with the default battery, that really bites.

The motorizr runs linux, made by motorola. Have they released anything else for the Q? This phone will be sold shortly otherwise.
  2. replica9000

replica9000 New Member

I would love to having something like Debian Linux on the Q, I'll keep an eye out for smartphone versions of Linux. I mean hell if you can install Linux on an iPod why not a smartphone?
  3. jaross

jaross New Member

that would be nice. I know there are mobile devices by Sharp which run linux. dont know if they are smart phones, dont think they are but, shouldnt be that hard to get working...

this is interesting:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9423084269.html

motorola has a linux smartphone but its GSM
  4. discord

discord New Member

mmm Linux

yes it would be nice would take some effort. Maybe motorola will put linux out on the Q hardware but I don't know why they would do that. It would have to be a community effort and would take some work. Maybe the next best thing is an ssh client. I'd like to have easy sync working easy on my ubuntu box.
  5. mrtune

mrtune New Member

I you hate windows that much, why didn't you buy a blackberry or treo?
  6. replica9000

replica9000 New Member

My friend has a treo, which had WM5 on it. I don't hate windows, I just think Linux is better.
  7. rhys_rhaven

rhys_rhaven New Member

CDMA version of the ROKR is being release this month. The Z6 and the Z6m are both for North America. The RIZR Z3 wasnt linux based, only the Z6 version which was released in Japan. The E1 and E6 are both GSM (being european). This is the first cdma + linux phone for america I've seen, ever.

Btw, I got the Q over a Sanyo MCP-8400, because both were free. I figured the smartphone would have greater resale value because of all its extra features. Actually it doesn't. they both are going on ebay for ~150USD. Apparently a well made phone is worth as much as a horribly made smartphone.

(The treo and blackberry werent free)

And who runs debian on an embedded system anyway? Its called Slackware. or LFS. embedded linux is just that, embedded. Its custom, tiny. Theres an embedded debian project Im sure, but nmap OS fingerprint your broadband router. It will return slackware 486. :)

Things like QTopia and OpenMoko are nice platforms.

Heres a chinese IPhone style softphone, based on OpenMoko.
    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7056478804.html

So as the Q's OS ruins a wonderfully powerfull piece of hardware. (312mhz StrongARM?!) that takes around a minute to boot, would anyone wana buy mine? :D Brandnew + 3 months with a screen protector on at all times.
    ..Please? :(

Rhys
  8. replica9000

replica9000 New Member

There are many variants of Debian out there, just like Slackware. I suppose since space is limited on a smartphone something like a modified version of DSL (Damn Small Linux which is debian based) would be nice. The Q has 50mb built in and DSL runs an entire desktop with only 50mb data, so refine that for a smartphone and it could work. Also just like on a desktop, a smartphone linux would probably do more while taking up less space.

I have nothing against Slackware, just in the x86 world Debian is my fav :laugh2:. I actually have Slack 11 somewhere, just haven;t installed it yet.

Overall, I'm just not a Windows fan.
  9. discord

discord New Member

lots of people run debian on an embedded machine probably more than run slackware. There are nice features such as apt which make it easy to install packages unlike slackware where you must spend most of your time compiling from source. http://wiki.debian.org/mipsEtchReleaseRecertification
    I want a phone with a package manager to make it easy to install apps.