Let's talk about Instant Messaging Programs

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by ZATZAi, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mazimaznyc

mazimaznyc New Member

I say try www.ebuddy.com its pretty cool its not a program but you can view it on your internet explorer. they have aim, yahoo and msn. it works pretty good takes a few mins to get the hang of thou
  2. shaenizzle05

shaenizzle05 New Member

Hi I purchased the im+ and i loved it when I had it but of course, my Q started wigging out and I had to do a master reset. How do I get the program back on my phone without repurchasing it?? I don't have the license anymore...I lost it somewhere...
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

try to email the manufacturer tech support or something...maybe they can hook you up
  4. shaenizzle05

shaenizzle05 New Member

i tried that but no response and it's been 2 days already....I tried contacting everything q and shapeservices(manufacturer)....I refuse to pay $30 bucks again!
  5. n99hockey

i would try to give it another day or 2 then maybe give them a call... in the maybe download a trial version of another IM program until you get a hold of the manufacturer...
  6. handsheldhigh13

handsheldhigh13 New Member

I have heard many good things about Octro so i downloaded it and now i have to get .NET so i hope its worth it :laugh2: thanx for the info
  7. n99hockey

hey well free is a good thing!:laugh2:
    its not a horrible program...it does the job of logging you on and talking with your AIM or other IM client buddies
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Am I correct in assuming that using Octro does not cost you a text message per sent messenger message (like Yahoo! used to work on my old BB)?
  9. n99hockey

all IM programs use data and NOT text messages
  10. JackDaniels187

JackDaniels187 New Member

i've been using octro for a while and really like it...never had a problem and most of all its free!!:smile:
  11. cuttingedgegraphics

cuttingedgegraphics New Member

I have yet to be able to get Octro to work on my Q. I have downloaded and installed it over and over again and nothing. I found the thread on how to get AIM to work and still no luck. Any suggestions?
  12. Kid_Icarus

Kid_Icarus New Member

I installed Octro the other day and I'll be damned if it didn't cause me more problems than it was worth. I added my Yahoo info to it and instantly I couldn't use Yahoo Messenger if I was on a PC because Octro decided to send invites to all my Y!M contacts through GoogleTalk and therefore I was constantly logged in even with Octro uninstalled from my phone & my data removed from the Octro servers (I contacted tech support for some help).

I ended up figuring out the problem by accident when I had Y!M logged in at work on my PC and then suddenly getting logged off when I checked my GMail. I had to go through my contacts list in Google & delete 85 invites that were created to my Yahoo contacts but they were in Google with the address of xxusernamexx@yahoo1.octro.com (or something similar to that). As soon as I deleted all of those I noticed my wife instantly log into Yahoo Messenger and my Messenger on my desktop stayed logged in. She was having problems staying connected as well because she responded to an IM from me while I was messing with Octro and she was then associated with the yahoo1.octro.com account instead of her normal Yahoo.

Way too much of a headache for me to use Octro, and they have yet to respond with a resolution for that debacle. Why can't Yahoo, AOL, etc. just make an app that will run on a phone with Windows Mobile. Yahoo put Messenger on the Blackberry, what's the big problem with putting it on another device as well?
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I got octro working last night. I had signed up for a google account to use their calendar and the account name I signed up for won't work for octro, you have to sign up for gmail and use the gmail login. Then I was able to setup msn/yahoo/whatever.
    I prefer an all in one, use koepete at home, have used gaim, trillian, etc before. Its much easier to have one IM than have to load and maintain msn, yahoo, aol, etc having 6 different apps running, and some of them poorly written like yahoo (it now takes 50M of ram on windows)
  14. dvap48

dvap48 New Member

Anyone else not get IM's from people not on ur buddylist in Octrotalk
  15. Kid_Icarus

Kid_Icarus New Member

Umm, don't you usually not want IM's from people not on your list?
  16. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

I was thinking, since AIM lets you send txt messages to someones cell number, If i used a program with my AIM account, then txted to a persons phone -- it could create a threaded SMS type of situation.... anyone tried?

Just thinking,

Matt!
  17. mzladyj01

mzladyj01 New Member

Has anyone tried to download Octro using Windows mobile device vs Active Sync? I have vista OS and of course active syncis not supported and I am having a hell of a time trying to get this application on my phone

HELP PLZ!!!
  18. dchain

dchain New Member

i tried mundo im and it works nicely but i am having issues with it signning me out ... i think it is because i use aimpro be and another program through work called connect (it is a beta program that works with aim)
  19. ZATZAi

ZATZAi New Member

Wow, people still use this thread... I use Mundu these days, perhaps I'll get around to updating this thread since I'm sure the apps have changed over time.
  20. lexicon

lexicon New Member

I was a huge fan of Agile and though it works great on the Q - I just don't believe in the company. They're based in Bangkok, where I am based and even though their address indicates that they're in a pretty plush office, I'm hesitant to believe that all the revenue comes from application development. I was thinking of buying the program and tried calling to ask about further developments and whatnot but pretty much got the brush off. Being in Thailand means that they will most likely have sub-par customer support (not really their fault just Thais are timid by nature and have a great reluctance to speak/write English since they're overly self-conscious about their language skills - I'm Thai and have lived here for a while even though I grew up in Chicago so I can say this with some authority). As a result most emails will go unanswered and who's really gonna call long distance for customer support?? They also have various other internet/mobile phone based businesses - download ringtones/homescreens/themes that seem to generate a much steadier stream of revenue than the chat client does.

So what does this indicate to me?

Well, I believe that because of their business model and that they force all traffic to go via their gateway, that if someday this venture is no longer profitable or cost effective to maintain - they can simply pull the plug on their servers and we'll all be out of a chat client - let alone 45-60 USD - depending on what payment option you've chosen. That really doesn't make me feel all warm and cozy inside. A lifetime license means little if you can't connect to the servers. I know of one guy who's hacked the app and re-routed the traffic through his server/gateway but again that doesn't really make it much better (not to mention that the hacked version has an issue with the backspace button on the Q, every time you hit backspace it just takes you to the previous window so you can never correct any text).

For the moment my money is on Mundu IM, great application, great support, great features - and with the holiday 20% off discount - it's only 8 USD for a lifetime license and free minor upgrades. The company seems focused on mobile communications and have offices worldwide but even they all go to bust - the client connects directly to the services so it's really all moot.

I like Palringo but it's features set is very limited, but you can't beat free although I'm sure that it'll get monetized sooner or later.

I used Octro but there was a glitch with the text entry where the text would go off screen I could no longer see what I was typing so that got annoying real fast.

My experience with IM+ has been sketchy - it keeps crashing and then there's a weird text entry bug where if I receive a message while I'm entering text, my text jumps and causes an input error and I never really like the interface - it just felt slapped together; although admittedly they're another company that seems to "get" what mobile messaging is about.

PocketPC/Smartphone magazine voted Agile and IM+ as the top chat clients for ppc and SP respectively - which is odd since in the SP section IM+ was the winner with Agile the finalist and in the PPC section it was Agile as the winner and IM+ as the finalist.