Laptop Memory - HELP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shaun0207, Dec 11, 2008.

1. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Laptop Memory - HELP

Can laptop memory wear out?

I leave one of my laptops (Toshiba Satellite S4064) running all the time while I download. It sometimes goes weeks without being turned off at least for 10 minutes. I've been noticing lately its getting alot slower more difficult to have multiple apps running. I may just be that my XPS has 4gb of memory and Toshiba is paling in comparison, but something is up. I use Ashampoo WinOptimizer 5 to help clean up some issues, but it is still slow and gets so bad I cant play Flash content, videos or anything.

Do I need to change my memory out? It has 2gb now, Nit sure how high it can can go but I dont mind max'in it out.
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

do a restart, see if that helps, Ram can get tied up.
    Maybe defrag.
  3. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I started doing resets and it still didnt help. Defragged too. No luck. Even wiped the computer clean and resinstalled all my programs. No luck. Was even slower after that.
  4. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

Is your OS Vista?
  5. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Yeah its Vista. Its so bad right now i CAN BARELY RESPOND TO POST.
  6. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

sorry bout the caps
  7. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

give me a few minutes to get finished with work and Ill let you know what might help
  8. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

ok done for now, a few things that might help is this:
    1) turn off the computer lol I know how sarcastic I sound but Im serious.
    2) ctrl>alt>delete>task manager and disable anything that you are NOT using.
    3) run a virus and spyware program and see what shows up.
    4) Uninstall programs that you seriously dont need on your computer and or dont ever use.
    5) you can also post at http://www.computerforums.org and see what they say. (im trying to remedy a problem that honestly boggles my mind but its slowly getting solved)
  9. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Strange that it's slowing down...my laptop's current problem is that it shuts off without notice randomly after being woken from hibernation. I'll be in the middle of a game or typing a document and the screen fades off and it turns off. But it only seems to do this after hibernation, so I actually turn it off now.

The funny thing is that after this error started occuring, the computer has been booting up a lot faster. So I don't mind actually turning it off. But to your problem, Vista's Superfetch feature should enable repeated things to run faster and faster every time you use it, since SF learns how to access data faster as you use Vista. That's what I think pulled my boot time down.

But back to the topic...
  10. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Did everything you suggested plus defragged twice. It seemed to get even slower. Ashampoo WinOptimizer edits your startup so that useless or unused apps dont launch at startup. It works but not doing a good job. Like I said I wven wiped it clean about a month ago because of issues. I only have about 8GB left out my 100GB HD. So I'm gonna move a bunch of stuff tonight to see if it improves. I was gonna get on my XPS last night to update you, but I got annoyed and started watching TV.

More curious issues:
    1.Been using Safari lately since it seems to handle flash alot better for some sites than IE. Well, it has started to slow down tremendously.Even when I'm using IE, its slow. Also IE wont close unless I use Task Manager and kill the applications there. It hangs and looks like it wants to close but doesnt.

2. Boot time has been better than ever for some reason.

3. Tunebite keeps trying to take over all sound for my machine and keeps giving me errors.
  11. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

are you running any programs on a consistent basis? (i.e. limewire, itunes, etc?) has your virus protection discovered anything out of the ordinary?

If not the only thing I can think of is that because you are using a laptop, the programs that you download are using the harddrive memory thus slowing your computer down. I dont know if XP is an alternate option to you or if Ubuntu is a better option (ubuntu is an OS and has something to do with Linux). im sorry im not much help today but ill see what else i can discover this evening. In the meantime i would recommend you to post the problem on http://www.computerforums.org and see if they can help.
  12. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I have Vuze(Azures) running most of of the time. Nothing out of the ordinary with the virus protection.

Thanks for the help
  13. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

see what happens if you turn off Azurus, that might help a little. You might also wana try compressing some hings and put them in folders. :/
  14. cindra

cindra Active Member

I had a similar problem once and found that something I installed had set the pagination file to 0, which meant there was no swap file at all so everything had to run in the available physical RAM. Once I set the pagination file back, all was fine. Check-

Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings>Performance Settings>Advanced

Look at what the virtual memory page file size is. I'd definitely go with the "let Windows manage" setting, but if it's now zero, that's your problem.

If not, I got nothing else. :tounge:
  15. Rook

Rook New Member

To expand upon a few things mentioned above I would say that you first need to download Process Explorer, a simple Google search will lead you to it. It was suggested, and rightly so, that you use the Task Manager to force quit all un-needed applications running. Process Explorer is a program the actually lines out "ALL" of the processes running, and Vista runs a lot. When you right click on a process, it has an option to go online to see what it is. There are a few more quick and dirty possibles, like updating all the drivers for everything. Making sure that all of the hardware in your laptop is compatible with Vista and that none of it is using an XP/NT driver.
    Second, if you remember around the date that the problem started, you can go through the Windows Updates Manager and search for any and all updates installed around that time and unistall them and then restart your computer. When the computer starts back up immediatly start the windows updater and let it automatically re-install the updates. This fixes any bad updates, files that downloaded with errors, files that installed incorrectly for whatever reason and the rare but problematic installation of a security update that is not compatible with all hardware components when it was released but the potential threat was sufficient enough to warrant an early release.
    You seem to be sure it is the RAM so here are some RAM fixes. I know this is simple, but you could open up the computer and take the Ram DIMMS out and put them back in to see if that solves your problem. You could download a benchmarking program to see how your RAm is preforming.
    If it were me, given that you Laptop model is a little older I would not run Vista on it and would stick to XP. But if you want to stick with Vista then I would set a date, like two days from now, and if you haven't fixed it by then I would backup, wipe and reinstall.
    And now, its not late but I am gonna call it a night.
  16. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

@rook show off :p
  17. dcarroll23

dcarroll23 New Member

slow

never not had a noticable speed increase from iincreasing memory. went from a usable 2gb in a new compaq laptop yesterday to 4gb and really helps. i had originally had 512k in a hp laptop running vista basic and that was basically unusable until i put 1 gb in it (and eventually 2 gb)..it's max.

also have an older dell that was realy slow. cleared up space on its hard drive to get that working correctly again. so check your hard drive.

also, vista has different performance settings. you can turn off aero stuff and that also seems to help (though some articles on web say that aero's ok with enough memory.)

18. Rook

Rook New Member

What can I say, when it comes to screwing up computers, I may not be the king but I have wrecked plenty in my days. When it comes to the Q and Q9x though, I would be lost without this site so this is sort of a quid pro quo since I am not heavy into hacking my Q9c and just do what I read here.
  19. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Did you say you reformatted the PC?
    If so, things should run normal after that.