Laptop connected to Internet thru my MOTO Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Mobile Auto Repair, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

I had to go back to Alltel today inorder to get my old phone activated for my daughter. While I was there I asked if there is a seperate charge and was told there is, bummer:embarassed:. I will try the PDAnet software for I would not be on the net with my phone as a modem much and $30 a month is not worth it:angry:.

Thanks for all of you guys input.

Kenny
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's actually $15 p/mo (Verizon)..

potQ9c
  3. Reelman

Reelman New Member

Unlimited data or not

Razzul,

I don't have any experience with DataPilot or #777. My post was to make people aware of the fact that most carriers including Sprint charge for tethering whether you have unlimited data or not. The Sprint manual has a clear warning regarding this subject. I use PdaNet and have not had any extra charges added to my bill.

Guy
  4. rac631

rac631 New Member

help

When connecting my motoq to my laptop it shows the connection but the explorer page will not connect to the net . it shows the connection as a local area connection why wont it let me surf?
  5. blackmeto

blackmeto Active Member

I think they charge just because you told them u were gonna tether. I use pdanet everyday on my vzw q9c hence the "my q9c had something to do with this post" and I have NEVER been charged anything extra.
    I say try it
  6. Razzul

Razzul New Member

PDAnet

PDAnet is a great program! Worth the price and the convenience for the few times I'll need to tether. I had used it with the Treo, but I didn't realize it would allow you to tether so the data appears to be data through the phone. PDAnet has been used in moderation only when I didn't have access to a DSL connection. I have also used Motorola Phone Tools and DataPilot with other phones. Alltel hasn't charged me extra with any. However, they are also the only carrier that would allow the consumer the choice to use voice minutes instead of data too. Since other carriers including Verizon that more than likely we're being bought by do distinguish data from voice (no option to use voice minutes instead of data plan with them) and phone from tether use, I'll go with PDAnet. Motorola Phone Tools doesn't work with the Q anyway, but I think other programs like the Internet Sharing would NOTmake the data appear through the phone itself. The key is moderation with PDAnet. Any excessive use could trigger a closer look. I am still playing around wtih my phone, but I've noticed with the new Windows Live Mobile, email program, the phone itself will only allow me to download up to 2MB to view an attached sound, picture, or other doc. I haven't tried to download other larger files besides cabs from the net to see if there is a limit that way too. However, one would reason that downloading excessive or large files would cause the kb use to add up and probably get someone's attention. If I was using PDAnet instead of a regular internet connection, I'd probably pay the $30. It used to only be $10 extra with a SmartPhone for those who were lucky enough to lock it in before the price increase.

Thank you!
  7. stasis

stasis New Member

Doesnt that do the same as the Windows\IntShr.exe application? I have used that to connect from my laptop and didnt get any tethering or other charges on my bill.
  8. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

Good question, how long has it been since the first time you tried it? I tried mine last month and when I got the bill this month the tethering is not listed. BUT I have read that it could take up to 4 months before you see that the Provider charges for using the phones web share.

I am hoping that what little I would use the tethering that I will not get a seperate charge for it. On my usage it would not be but maybe 4 times a month for about 20 minutes or much less.
  9. stasis

stasis New Member

I only used it twice when traveling during the holidays last year. So I should have seen it on the bill by now, I just hesitate to use it much because of that... Maybe if you dont use that often they dont catch it but if you use a lot of bandwidth they catch on and charge you.
  10. cognos74

cognos74 New Member

ICS and making calls

Has anyone figured out how to configure the Q to make/receive phone calls while using internet connection sharing?

I just switched over from using a Blackjack and I had no problems making calls while using ICS, but with the Q the internet connection dies when a call comes in/out.
  11. aidandj

aidandj New Member

The Q uses EV-DO, which does not allow for simultaneous voice and data, the Blackjack uses HSPDA which does allow this
  12. cindra

cindra Active Member

Welcome to Everything Q!

We hope you enjoy hanging around. :)
  13. tully2

tully2 New Member

I don't know about Vista but in other versions you need to sure that no specific settings for DHCP, default gateways, proxies, or connections are made. ICS service on the pc should be disabled. Specific firewall settings may need adjustment, easiest to turn off the firewall to test. The pc needs to behave like its running on a LAN with no specific internet connection specified. An out of the box pc will generally work on the phone's ICS so any specific connection setttings apart from that should be removed. The TCP/IP network settings are the likeliest place that specific settings got made.

ICS works like a router which is different from a modem connection. A modem connection uses the provider's DHCP server to obtain its IP address assignment on the network/internet. ICS has its own DHCP server, like a router, so all IP addresses assigned are internal to the private LAN and aren't seen by the provider. All the provider sees is the mobile phone's single IP address. When data packets come in, the phone's ICS takes care of distributing (routing) the packets to the proper internal IP address so they get sent to the correct computer on the private LAN, none of which the provider sees. ICS is very sophisticated compared to a primitive modem link.

The provider can easily tell when someone is tethering when a modem link is used. The #777 call connection is evidence enough. But with ICS, the only way I know to tell is by packet sniffing. A provider could look directly at the packets to see if say a Firefox browser was associated with a data request. Since Firefox doesn't run on mobiles (yet?), that would be clear evidence of pc tethering. The version level of an Internet Explorer request could also be seen and would be clear evidence. But it is also possible that Verizon has tampered with ICS, so this can't be relied on.

Packet sniffing would take significant resources for providers to allocate and my guess is that it's likely to only happen when a flag is set due to heavy internet use. A #777 call monitor would take negligible resources to run and there are indications that verizon has it nailed down for at least the newer EVDO capable phones. When I recently tested a modem link to verizon (before I signed up for a data plan), I couldn't get past their web page that directed me how to sign up for their $59/month data plan...