Laptop connected to Internet thru my MOTO Q9c

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Mobile Auto Repair, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Mobile Auto Repair

Mobile Auto Repair New Member

Laptop connected to Internet thru my MOTO Q9c

I have only had my phone for over one day and had been looking for some software to allow my phone to connect my laptop to the internet. Well stumbled upon a built in program on my phone that allows my laptop computer to surf the net and I don't have to pay more money for a phone card or some other software. Right now I am using my phone to post this message here.

The application is called "Internet Sharing". Just connect the phone to your laptop or even your PC and as long as you are running XP or Vista the computer and phone will do the rest for you.

I am still very new to this smart phone and this forum so hopefully I have not caused a double post about this nifty feature.

Cheers
    Kenny
  2. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Yeah its been posted before, I never got it to work :frown:
  3. Mobile Auto Repair

If you don't mind me asking, What OS are you using?
  4. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

Vista SP1

W/ WM 6.1
  5. Mobile Auto Repair

That is very strange for that is exactly what I am using myself and it connected right up in less than two minutes. Now I did turn off my "Wi-Fi" before using my phone to connect to the web.

1) I turned off the Wi-Fi
    2) Already had the phone connected by USB cable
    3) Pulled up the "Internet Sharing" on my phone and followed the screen prompts.

In less than two minutes I was surfing the net through my phone.
  6. Boycan

Boycan New Member

If I am correct I think I read a post from you saying you couldn't afford a data plan, If I am correct in my memory you best be carefull because data wiil be charged in some form or fashion.
  7. Mobile Auto Repair

I believe you have me confused with someone else. I have only been on this forum for less than 3 days now & I have not made that statement. On my plan I have unlimited usage of the internet. My provider tried to sell me a device to hook my laptop up to the net and wanted another $60 + month & I turned it down.
  8. Boycan

Boycan New Member

YA I must have confused you with someone else, Sorry just seems sooo many get these phones not having a data plan then get mad when they get charged for using it. :laugh2: IMHO having this phone without a data plan would be like having a Porche sitting in my driveway on BLOCKS! :laugh2:
  9. Mobile Auto Repair

I completely agree!
  10. sherri

sherri Active Member

I agree also ;)

One question, though...if you have unlimited data on phone, and internet on pc, what is the purpose/benefit of connecting phone to pc to get internet? I have no idea about this sort of thing! Thanks in advance...
  11. Boycan

Boycan New Member

In my case I live in the sticks and it is wireless or dial-up so I bought an aircard a couple of years ago then VZW offered me an early upgrade on the card and I asked them for the Q9c and now it is my primary cell phone as well as my primary internet service. So now when at home I use it with my laptop and when on the road I use it on the phone.:laugh2:
  12. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks! Now I get it. I have more reliable internet on my phone than I do in my office....That's actually pathetic since we pay a fortune for high speed cable internet with boost services!
  13. Razzul

Razzul New Member

It is beneficial to be able to use your phone as a modem for your laptop. Sometimes you just need the bigger screen of a laptop, functions like flash which may or may not work correctly with phone internet, and its easier to surf the web because of the larger keyboard. I take my laptop and use it on vacations or in locations like someone else's house where there is no connection. I have "tethered" meaning I dial into a #777 number I think and use the phone as a modem.

My question is how is the data charged with the original poster's method? If your laptop is SHARING a connection through the phone, is it the same as tethering? With Alltel switching to Verizon, there is a distinction between data through the phone and data using the phone as a modem.

Thanks!
  14. Boycan

Boycan New Member

I am on VZW and I pay $15 bucks extra to tether, I have seen people say they don't pay the extra money and still Tether but I guess for $15 bucks I would rather just be safe then get surprised with a huge bill one day. I think internet sharing is just another carriers name for tethering but I could be wrong.
  15. Mobile Auto Repair

With my plan I have unlimited usage of the internet from my phone. I only played with using it on my laptop last night to see how it works. Hopefully there is not an extra charge for doing that. And why would there be? For you have bought and payed for the plan that gives you unlimited usage therefore you should have the say how you used the system.

Also if there is supposed to be a extra charge then either by the phone or the paper they gave me should say something about it, and neither does.

I will wait and see how this works out on my next bill, but I do not expect any additional charges.
  16. Boycan

Boycan New Member

With VZW phone data is considered different data than data used tethering (and they DO seperate it on my bill don't ask me how they know but they do) and I have unlimited data on my phone with a 5 gig limit while tethering ($15) but I never get close to 5 gig and I tether any time I am at home.
  17. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

quite a few use PDAnet to get around the tethering charges.
  18. Zombiac

Zombiac New Member

Yep I can verify that so far in the past few months of using PDAnet I have seen no extra charges for any data usage on my bill.

PDAnet seems like the best effort to get around this lil tether charge too especially if you don't want to pay an additional fee for using the net on your laptop only a few times or so a month like myself.

I haven't tried the built in ICS on the phone since I just went ahead and used PDAnet it's been working like a charm I'd say about the past three months no problems at all yet.
  19. Reelman

Reelman New Member

Unlimited Data

If you read the fine print of your simply everything plan you'll be shocked to learn that it does not include phone as modem (tethering). Use PDAnet.

Guy
  20. Razzul

Razzul New Member

How is using PDAnet different than tethering with DataPilot or just dialing #777 using the phone as a modem to dial into the internet? All methods connect the phone to the laptop by either bluetooth or a USB cable. I mean how can this type of PDAnet connection go undetected as "tethering" while the others would be detected as tethering if the carrier chooses to bill phone data and tethering separately?

BTW, without a data plan, internet through the phone or by tethering uses your minutes on an Alltel plan where the SmartPhone was bought at retail, auction site, etc. (in other words without a contract).

I used to use PDAnet on the Treo, and it installs a program on the phone too. Wonder if that is what makes the difference. If so, I wonder if that Internet Sharing on the Q9c would be similar. I'll have to see if I can get it to work later.

Thanks to anyone for their thoughts in trying to help sort this out. Alltel is soon going to Verizon, and I don't want to have to pay for tethering on top of phone data for the few times I use my phone as a modem with a laptop. I have DSL at home.

BTW, I have a Q9c from Alltel.

Thanks!