"Kill All" How Often?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by pekoe1111, Apr 25, 2007.

1. pekoe1111

pekoe1111 New Member

"Kill All" How Often?

Yep - still waiting for my EBay Q. I plan to leave it on all the time, even when charging at night. If I check my Yahoo e-mail a few times a day, surf maybe three times and use it for calls, and maybe sync it once a day to my Outlook calendar, how often should I go and kill programs in the Task manager? Once a day? More? Less?

Thanks!

BB
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

as often as you would like...i usually do that 1-2 times a week....
  3. qnoob

qnoob New Member

well "Text Messages" pops up on it's own every hour (even when I'm not using it) so I could conceivably do "KILL ALL" 24 times a day.
  4. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I do it about 6 or 7 times a day. Usually after I use an app that I know doesn't have an exit feature like WMP, Hotmail, Gmail, Contacts, Calendar
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i did it for a while, until i read somewhere here on EQ that even though they are in the task manager it does not necessarily mean they are using battery power.. i hardly ever kill programs and i don't really have shorter life out of the Q, so.

just my 2cts.
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I second that.... the only time I really "kill all" is when the phone seems to be sluggish, and normally that's b/c there's a webpage open in PIE that's running a script (or possibly an animated GIF).

now you have 4 cents. :smile:
  7. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

I'll put more cents into that pot. Running programs do not mean more battery power unless they're doing something. And I got some progs that I don't want to kill such as clockontop, right menu, etc.
  8. Yester18

Yester18 New Member

Is it just me or does nobody use the back arrow button. I have used it, and it closes programs. After using IE and Outlook email. If you go back and keep hitting it till you come to the homescreen. Go into task manager and those programs will not be running. I think of it as using the X in windows.:)
  9. n99hockey

that doesnt work with my Q...just thought it brought you back to the previous place you were at...and didnt close it out....or is that just mine?
  10. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Yeah - I don't think it works like that with mine either, but I do some more looking into.
  11. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

The back button does not work like that. Programs get minimized only.
  12. qnoob

qnoob New Member

yup, press back and the program is STILL in task manager . . .

I'll do my own experiment (battery life with "running programs in task manager" vs "no running programs in task manager"). If battery life isn't affected that much, this shouldn't be much of a problem. Haven't had problems with Q being sluggish with too many proggies running (then again, most I'll run is IE, text messages and maybe get a call).

Running MSNBC mobile app appears to run slow all by itself though (probably uses more CPU / memory than most proggies).
  13. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

Using either Kill All, or Kill Selected (for those using programs that want to be running all the time) is almost always a good idea. I've had my Q since November, and the number of times I have had my battery drain while on the charger - or had an instance of (relatively) rapid discharge has only happened a small number of times, owing PROBABLY to either a program that has misfired, or a rogue script running in IE that is mucking up the works. Nine times out of ten now, I have a little ritual where I perform a KILL ALL before I put my phone on the charger for the night, and since I have started doing that I have NEVER experienced overnight "mystery discharge".

I encourage you to experiment yourself though - charge your phone fully before you go to bed, then use your Q to check email, surf a webpage, open a couple of pictures and check a contact. Then go to sleep. Check the next morning to see if you've lost a bar - if I do this, I will typically lose a bar of power overnight. Then, the next night take a fully charged phone and use Kill All before going to bed. The next morning there is a good chance you will have four bars of strength. Doing batter life comparisons is almost impossible though - there will always be someone teetering between Ev and 1x coverage, and that can also impact battery life significantly.
  14. gshriki

gshriki New Member

Background applications

BTW - is there any why I can resume those applications in the background?
    I see them in the task manager, but I can't see any where I can reactivate them...
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you can not re-activate them from within the Task Manager, but if you would start the same application from the home screen or start menu you will notice it does not show up twice in the Task Manager thus that can be seen as a resume i guess.
  16. n99hockey

download the WM5.0 Task Manager from my apps page
    www.scottschrob.com/q/apps.htm

this program is free and has an option to 'bring to front' which will reactivate the program running in the background just where you left off!
  17. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I don't need to use the kill all function nearly as much after I did the MOL2 upgrade. The subsequent MOL3 or whatever you call it didn't change that. I use to Kill ALL a couple of times a day, nowadays, depending on what apps I am using, I do it a couple of times a week, or when I notice that the phone is really sluggish. I need to use it after I finish PDAnet, either that or reboot the phone entirely. Its not that big a deal.