Just purchased 1st gen Q. How to tell what cell phone provider it works with?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Zappacat, May 5, 2010.

1. Zappacat

Zappacat New Member

Just purchased 1st gen Q. How to tell what cell phone provider it works with?

I just purchased an old Motorola Q cell phone but I don't know which cell phone provider it is designed to work with. Can you guys help me out? Thanks!
  2. manbat

manbat Active Member

Start it up.....all I have seen have the provider in a splash screen.
  3. Zappacat

Zappacat New Member

Thanks, no screen indication but there's a sound waveform playing and I think it's saying Embarq ! Can I use this with Sprint or any other mainstream provider?
  4. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Embarq was partnering with Sprint before but has since merged with another telcom company here in U.S. but also has global presence in 15+ countries.

If you pull the back cover off the Q & then the battery, there is a bar coded label - it will show the FCC ID # - along with other info (Made in Singparpore or China or ???) - and DEC / MSN / pESN and for newer ones, MEID - and there should be date code label showing its production date. It should be easily read and you should be able to google this to help identify what network its ROM was designed for - or try to cross reference it on Motorola's support site.

Go into the Start Menu (after booting up the phone) - Settings - and you should be able to scroll around & find info on "About" and "Device Information - 1. Version, 2j. Hardware, and 3. Identify - together, these screens will yield a greater about the OS verison, CPU & memory, storage capacity & other useful info - and, then find a way to use it for a specific cellular network. Or, to get help & flash it (within limits & technical restrains) for use on other compatible network.

If you can't figure most of these out yourself, please post what you're able to read & post them here - and, the helpful membership here should be able to guide you to the proper channels.