Just installed MicroSD card

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by termleech, Nov 10, 2010.

1. DarthTedd

DarthTedd New Member

I noticed the following information over on the att.com forums (see below). If I follow the instructions I'm assuming the entire phone will be formatted?

Quickstart Instructions:
    Your Samsung Focus will only operate with MicroSD cards certified for Windows Phone 7 devices. Turn off the phone and insert your memory card as shown below. Press Volume Control Down + Camera key + Power key to format the phone and initialize the memory card.

Att.com Forum Post:
    Thanks for your interest in our new Windows Phone 7 devices. We are very excited as well about this great new experience being delivered on some very cool devices on the nation’s fastest network.

The devices will support the addition of up to a 32GB class 2 (or higher) microSD card. You need to insert the card before you power up the device the first time so that the operating system can map it as available memory to maximize its utilization. This is outlined in the Quick Start Guide you receive in the box. I encourage you to read this before you launch the device the first time to have the best experience with a microSD card.

Thanks again for your interest. I hope you like it as much as I do. If you have a moment, please let me know your experience.

Best regards
    Jeff

Jeff Bradley
    Senior Vice President Devices
    AT&T Mobility & Consumer Markets
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Yes. The crux of the problem is that the OS shares memory with the microSD. It's not clear which cards will work, as there still aren't certified cards. Once you format it, the card cannot be used unless it's reformatted using a symbian device. I kid you not. Nothing will format it. Mine worked for a week and then stuff would disappear along with some of my settings, email accounts. Really, really odd stuff.
  3. DarthTedd

DarthTedd New Member

Yeesh! Its disappointing but not to the point where I'll take the phone back. I do admit the iPhone is calling my name just a tad but I'll hold off. I'm just not a fan of iTunes at all.

The expandable memory is really nice though. I generally only put around 6GB's of music of my devices so I don't have a need for a huge amount. An 8GB card would be sufficient for my needs.
  4. Seth Ramsak

Seth Ramsak New Member

well i bought a sandisk 32gb on amazon about three weeks ago and all ive had is one little hiccup. It was after my wife was playing with the phone I noticed my wallpaper was gone so i did a soft reset and everything was fine. work s like a charm playing my videos from and music from zune. Although sometimes songs will skip towards the end. I use my focus like an i-pod when im in my vehicle.I love it.
    chris likes this.
  5. chris

What class SanDisk?
  6. Seth Ramsak

Seth Ramsak New Member

im pretty sure it was class two but dont hold me to it. sorry.
    chris likes this.
  7. Seth Ramsak

Seth Ramsak New Member

I got it off of amazon for like 80 dollars if that helps at all.
  8. termleech

termleech Member

I don't think the song skipping is a function of the SD card. I've seen a lot of people reporting similar issues with paying songs and either skipping or pausing or just delaying. Most didnt have an SD card installed. I'm anxious to see if my NoDo fixes this issue.
  9. Soylent

Soylent New Member

I know that some people who install large SD cards may not experience any issues immediately. This is because the phone still has its own internal 8 gigs, so until that 8 gigs fills up, you're not even using the SD card. So the best tests would be after you install a 32 GB card, and load like 30+ gigs onto the phone, then use it daily.
  10. Seth Ramsak

Seth Ramsak New Member

Well i hope your not wishing anything upon me. I do have over 50 albums of music and 2 or 3 tv shows on the phone now so im sitting at about 13 gb used up. Fingers crossed. OT anyone got NODO yet? im still waiting.
  11. termleech

termleech Member

I've got about 16GB of stuff on my phone so I'm using well beyond the interanl 8GB and have for quite some time. I have not experienced any issues whatever.
  12. dPen

dPen New Member

Hi guys, just wanted to share this; I have Samsung Focus (WP7 updated to ver.7390 via Chevron tool); I bought a Sandisk 8gb (SDSDQM-008G-B35N) card and have been using for about a week now and no problem what so ever; transferred a few gb of music/movie files.. works just perfect. (I turned off the phone by pressing power; inserted the card; turned-on the phone; went to settings-about your phone, then selected 'reset your phone' from the bottom of the screen; phone resets to factory defaults... starts over all the process and boom... I got the memory extended (total available memory from 7.39gb to 14.59gb.
    EDIT: the above mentioned card is a Class 4; the card package also says that it's 'For mobile phones, water proof, shock proof'. Thx.
  13. chris

I wonder if there is a restriction on the size card that will work.
  14. Dergib

Dergib New Member

I installed a Kingston 16gb class 4 back in December 2010. It has worked flawlessly with no problems. Nonetheless, I won't hold my breath on the update, since I've turned blue from the beginning of January. Probably just another empty promise, again, and again, and again!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Sb.

Sb. Member

Does anyone know what exactly is different from the new certified cards to any other cards that have worked?
  16. Cerif27

Cerif27 New Member

We should start getting some more updates to this problem/solution soon. I hope. I'm absolutely NOT going through all that crap again if it's an exercise in futility. Is no one out there on the interwebs methodically testing this stuff? (Not necessarily you guys but SOMEONE) I DO know that the early birds have a different firmware for the focus than the phones that came out a couple months later. I suppose it's possible that those of us that are having such trouble just have a different firmware. How does one go about checking and updating that? Or was that included in the "manufacturer specific" updates? If it was, I suppose it's possible we're all good to go with our giant ass SD cards...we just don' t know it yet. Then again losing all my app data is much more of a concern these days than having more space. We'll see how things play out.
  17. jbiker68

jbiker68 New Member

I've been using a 8gb Class 4 SanDisk since day one of having my phone (3 weeks). Not one hiccup - runs smooth, no data loss or unexpected resets. I'm looking forward to later upgrading memory when a safe/confirmed card is put out with the MS certification, but until then, I'm happy with 15gb's of memory I have. This is one amazing phone !