Just installed MicroSD card

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by termleech, Nov 10, 2010.

1. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

So far, it seems that 16GB is the maximum you can use without issues. I am sure that there will be 32GB cards that will work, but it appears that we will have to wait for it.

I have had the PNY 16GB in my Focus for over a week without a single issue. I have 11GB of "stuff" loaded on my phone, so it is using the card.
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Have you had any sporadic reboots? My issues occurred when the battery got real low.

Maybe I'll try again once the approved cards hit. I wish it was as simple as it works or doesn't work. I went almost a week with no data loss. I know that sounds funny, but I thought I was in the clear.
  3. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

Update:
    Wintech 16G card failed on me this morning after I load more than 10G of music and Video.
    I just have to wait for the official or certified micro SD card then.
  4. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I have over 11GB of data on my Focus and I haven't had a single issue. No slowdown when syncing, no slowdown on the device, no reboots, no data loss. :)
  5. Joseph M. Osborne Sr

Joseph M. Osborne Sr New Member

Status update. Still have not had any issues whatsoever with both of my Samsung Focus 32Gb microSD cards installations. Working as you would expect. Still very fast as well. No performance problems at all.
  6. chris

Better luck than I had.;) How much data are you using on the card? In my last attempt, I had about 10GB of Zune music. It was working fine outside of a few restarts. I think the trouble starts when you the battery gets "critically low". In both instances of data loss, it happened when my battery was near empty.
  7. jontyrees

jontyrees New Member

Any thoughts on using the 16gb Sandisk Class 2 (I think) that is coming out of my Blackberry Bold? It worked fine in the BB, but I'm a little leery of dropping it into my new Focus.
    Also, if I put in a card that doesn't work properly, does that leave any lasting problem with the on board 8gb?
  8. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

I got two Sandisk 16gb class 2's for my wife and I and both are working great so far, even through restarts.
  9. johndandison

johndandison New Member

From what I understand, 32gb will be the largest allowable card, once they're available.
  10. dannahan

dannahan New Member

i've had this 32gb bootleg sandisk microsd card. and it really has taken a beating with me downloading, dumping music into it, erasing, etc. No resets, no crashes, nothing. It's perfectly fine. Had it for about a week already with no issues. I might have lucked out, but try to find a cheap one out there on like ebay. test it out. if not you lose at least 21 bucks.
  11. chris

What's a bootleg Sandisk card? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Have you had any instance of your battery getting "critical"? That seemed to be a precursor to my losing data.
  12. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Got this response from Kingston today regarding their 32 GB MicroSD card, Class 4. For what it's worth. I bought one on eBay tonight for a $70 bid. Verizon better into one that accepts SD cards or, or, or, I'll just cry.

Thank you for your interest in Kingston Technology.

The Microsoft Windows Phone 7 devices utilize standard microSD cards. Therefore, the Kingston 32GB microSDHC Class 4 will work.

Please find below the link from our web site regarding specific information on the system that you referenced.

http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.aspx?ktcpartno=SDC4/32GB-2ADP

You may purchase from our online store directly or through our extensive network of more than 3,000 distributors and resellers worldwide.

If you would like to purchase directly from our manufacturer direct online store, save time, and receive FREE shipping, with a minimum purchase*, on any order in the continental US, please click on the above link and follow the prompts. If you would like to see our current online specials, please click here. http://www.shop.kingston.com/specials/

If you are interested in purchasing Kingston products from our resellers, we can refer you to two premier resellers:

Kingston Premier Resellers

1. Memosun 800-733-8204 http://www.memosun.com/
    2. CompuPlus 800-536-7378 http://www.compuplus.com/

If you have any other questions or require further assistance, feel free to contact us directly at 800 835-6575. We are available M-F, 6am-5pm, PT. I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.
    *FREE shipping applies to orders placed at shop.kingston.com and are delivered to an address in the continental US. Customers in Alaska, Hawaii, and US Territories are given a discounted shipping rate.

Please include your email history with your reply

Best Regards,
    Lisa Moreno
    Customer Service/Sales Support
    Kingston Technology Company

13. xpistou

xpistou New Member

I had bought a 16gb Sandisk Class 2 card through Amazon from a third party distributor (which I hear is not a good practice) and everything was going along fairly smoothly until it rebooted after freezing when checking a text message. After it rebooted, everything was back to factory settings, and I had the dreaded "15.xx mb available." I restarted the phone (by holding down the power button), and everything was restored. I hope this was just a fluke occurrence.
  14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oh boy. I'm crossing my fingers for yeah dude.
    xpistou likes this.
  15. dannahan

dannahan New Member

yes! just look for "32GB TF Micro SD SDHC Flash Memory Card 32G MicroSDHC" on ebay. it's a class 2. it's in crappy, knockoff packaging, BUT it works like a charm! i never got any battery issues nor loss of data. all for less than 22 bux which included shipping. didn't get any slowdown on taking photos or hd quality videos. very responsive. funny thing is that my phone froze ALOT PRIOR to me putting in the micro sd card. now it doesn't even freeze! good luck to those trying to find one :)
    chris likes this.
  16. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Someone posted that the only way to recover a botched microsd card is to have an old Nokia phone to reformat it. Does anyone know which Nokia phones work and how large a sd card can be formatted. I have a kingston 32GB class 4 card that just doesn't work and I want to reformat if for use elsewhere. I would even pay someone to reformat the card for me.

I think this info would be great info to have for all WP7 phone users that fry a card.
  17. Michael P.

Michael P. New Member

18. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Thanks, it might be worthwhile to invest in the N8 and offer SD card recovery. When my rich uncle in the poor house dies and leaves me all his money, I'll buy one and tell MS to kiss my ankle 3 joints up regarding this issue.:mad:
  19. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I used a cheapo t-mobile symbian phone to reformat my first SD card.
  20. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Thanks for the info. Did you reformat a 32GB card or a smaller one?