Just installed MicroSD card

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by termleech, Nov 10, 2010.

1. termleech

termleech Member

So after watching Chris's video and seeing how he has had luck with a SanDisk microSD I bought one today. I bought the class 4 Mobile MicroSD 16GB. Installed it and have set the phone up and install all my apps back on and synced. I haven't noticed any issues so far so so I'm hoping it stays that way. It definitely seems faster than before I had the card but it could just me having wishful thinking.
    chris likes this.
  2. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Keep us updated with the progress. After AT&T and MS advised to not install any cards until further notice, I've put off purchasing a class 6 16gb card for myself and my GF.
  3. switchthreesixty

switchthreesixty New Member

I bought a Focus and installed an 8 gig microsd card. Did the hard rest. (Clicked "rest phone" under about phone under settings.) Phone recognized 16gigs. (15.x). I loaded it with video, music, and apps. Ran like a dream.
    But, I hit the power button until the phone said "goodbye." Then turned the phone back on using the power button.
    At which point all my personal data was wiped out. Under "about phone," it said I only had 15 mb (not gigs) of space.
    So, Termleech, try turn powering off and back on, because mine worked great until then as well.
  4. termleech

termleech Member

I haven't turned the phone off and back on yet but other than that it's working like a charm. I've synced over all my music, podcasts, etc and it's working like a charm. No hiccups, no freezes, nothing. And I've been using it pretty extensively today. I'll try turning it off tonight as I need to use it the rest of the day and can't afford to have it mess up if I turn it off. I'll report back tonight when I turn it off and back on. Which card did you install?
  5. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I bought my Focus on Monday. I installed my Centon 8GB Class 6 MicroSD at the store. I did the reset, but I had to do it a second time for some reason. It then recognized the card and formatted it. I now have a 16GB Focus. It has worked flawlessly ever since. I have powered down my phone, and removed the battery. It has been rock solid for me.

I am considering picking up a Centon 16GB Class 6 in the near future. I am hoping to have a similar experience with that one.
  6. termleech

termleech Member

I just tried turning off the phone and back on and it's working great. So I can confirm that the SanDisk 16GB Class 4 works like a charm through and through.
  7. switchthreesixty

switchthreesixty New Member

Termleech, what method did you use to install the SanDisk 16GB? Simply select reset phone under "about phone."
    Or did you hold down camera, power, and down volume buttons on start up method?
  8. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I think there is only one way to install a microSD in the Samsung Focus. I think the success or failure (reliability) is the question and that's highly dependent upon the card you use. I'm going to go without a card for a few days. I have a feeling my class 2 card won't cut it. I'm looking at the Kingston 16GB class 4. It's either that or an off-brand class 6.
  9. termleech

termleech Member

I used the hold down camera, power and down button method.
  10. Cerif27

Cerif27 New Member

Hold that thought chris! I have the Kingston class 4 16 Gig and it's a complete no-go. I have the San Disk 32 class 2 in the mail over nighted. Sadly...read this morning that your reviewer that tried said card already is having trouble. I'll give that huge card one try. It wipes my stuff and I'm waiting for MS or Samsung to officially chime in, which I'm surprised and disappointed they haven't done yet. Best I've heard is from my ATT salesperson (whom I only trust as far as I can throw him): Samsung, Microsoft and Sandisk are working hard to have fully functional cards early in the new year. I'm giving them 30 days from the day I bought my phone. I don't here anything from anyone by then and it's going back. This current card doesn't work and I'm going cardless till I hear word or the 30 days are up. Simple as that. I vote with my money and if they can't fix this or at LEAST address it, I'm out.
  11. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Here is a little blurb I just read from Engadget
    AT&T said;

Here is the full article from Engadget
  12. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

So this means that these official cards will cost a pretty premium
  13. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Hammer --> Nail ;)
    chris likes this.
  14. jimsmith

jimsmith New Member

I just added a Patriot 16gb class 4 from newegg, and so far so good. Phone recognizes memory, and everything is working as it should. I haven't loaded much in the way of media on it yet, but will post if I have any problems.
  15. chris

I gave it a few days and installed the 32GB SanDisk again. I had one soft reset when I powered on my device, while it was previously in an app. I'm pretty sure it was the official Twitter app. No loss of data or other oddities. Up until now, I haven't been using any data outside of the 8GB. I just hooked up my Focus to Zune and added about 10GB of music. I'll see what happens over the next day or so. If more oddness happens, I'm giving up on this 32GB and probably the microSD slot for now. I have a 32GB ZuneHD I use for music, so it's not the end of the world. I did want to pack this Focus with music, but reliability is more important right now.
  16. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

Please everyone, can we put together a list of known working micro SD
    Brand name, size, speed, cost
    This will help other members who just get the Focus to buy the right memory card.
    Thanks
  17. EatCereal

EatCereal Member

I totally agree with Con. I really want the Focus but this whole micro sd card is one of the reasons I haven't just yet. Is it a go. Is a no.

[​IMG]

Us newbies need this to experience to be as smooth as possible.
  18. Joseph M. Osborne Sr

Joseph M. Osborne Sr New Member

I just installed the 32Gb Sandisk microSD card in my wifes Focus, after waiting these past two weeks to see how things develope. Pretty painless except I had a bit of trouble getting the phone to recognize I'd inserted the microSD at all. I had to remove and re-insert several times. In any event it seems to be working. I've had one inexplicable power reset coming out of the Marketplace, so it is a little bit buggy but I think it is safe enough for a non-critical phone.
  19. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

Just bought Wintech, 16G, Class 10, $29.00 formarted and installed more than 10G of music and video. So far no problem
  20. chris

My SanDisk 32GB was humming along. A reset here or there, but no data loss. This whole situation had me thinking that perhaps the resets were due to the microSD. Still, I soldiered on. Today, I noticed that my Facebook account was gone and email accounts replaced with the familiar email setup tile. Also gone is 10GB of music that I had synced via my Zune account. At this point, I'm going to return my card to Amazon and go stock. I really enjoy this phone, but I can no longer play roulette with microSD cards. I have a 32GB ZuneHD that I use for music, so I'll stick with that for now.