Just got the Samsung Focus yesterday, and...

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by pinoyken, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

already have a few questions...haha.

First thing, do these tiles automatically update themselves constantly? I only got the 200mb/month plan, and I really don't want to go over it.

Second, when I turned off the phone last night and plugged in the charger, the phone kept on automatically turning on by itself. Does this phone (or all the WP7 phones) have to stay on for it to be charged? I don't want to keep it on standby throughout the night just to have to charge the phone.

Oh btw, love the OS.....smooth as silk so far.
  2. muddtt

muddtt Member

dunno about the tiles using data. I'd imagine they'd only update after you already d/l something. thats just a guess tho.

might wanna call ATT about the auto turning on. Mine stays off all night when i charge. maybe you have a bad connection somewhere and it keeps disconnecting.
  3. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

My data when from .7mb yesterday to 13 today, and I didn't even use FB or check anything on twitter.....seems it's smarter to turn off the data connection unless I need to use it.

Does your Focus show an indicator when it's charging when the phone is off?
    My friend got the Captivate, and it shows a battery indicator when the phone is off and charging.
    I tried taking the battery out this morning then putting it back in; plugged in the charger and still the same thing - turns on automatically.
  4. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

Also, I was thinking it could be a software glitch that's making the phone turn on.....might replace it today at Costco.
  5. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Some tiles do update, it depends on the settings. At the very least, I believe People and E-mail (if you have it set up) access the internet. I know you can change when the e-mail tile updates (click on the e-mail tile, click the more dots, and click setting, then sync settings.

I don't know about People though...
  6. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I found that People only updates when you select that tile and swipe to the right (I'm synced to FB so it auto-updates when I switch to that screen.)
  7. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Yeah, part of me wishes that the People tile would start updating as soon as you click on it without having to swipe to the Facebook feeds. Constant updating would kill the battery though.
  8. A person

A person New Member

You will not be able to use this phone to its full potential on a 200Mb plan.
  9. WP7map.com

WP7map.com New Member

I noticed with The Weather Channel app that it updates the tile but only when the phone is switched on.

So there is a way for tiles to only update when the phone is switched on.
  10. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I know that, but some of us are on a budget. :)
  11. wriver82

wriver82 New Member

Download the online manuel, it does say that the phone does not turn off when being charged.