Just bought the Dell Venue Pro off eBay

Discussion in 'Dell Venue Pro' started by chris, Jul 12, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I couldn't resist the Daily Deal. Unlocked AT&T Dell Venue Pro for $299. That's just too much phone to let it go. I don't mind the heft. I'm excited about the build quality, which was a reoccurring theme in all the reviews I checked out.
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I ended up resisting the urge to buy it, I have to spend my money wisely at the moment. There will be new phones later this year anyway, and I need to have money available in case they aren't at a huge discount again. :p
  3. chris

Honestly, I'm in the same boat. They have a 14 day return policy, so I still might send it back. I was also thinking about selling a few things to justify my purchase.

Of course, if you hadn't posted the story, I wouldn't have known about it.:p
  4. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Yeah, I wanted to, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $300 dollars on a phone, when I have no desire or need to replace my phone, and the Venue isn't $300 better than the Focus.

That said, it was the phone I wanted when WP7 first came out, because I like hardware keyboards.
  5. chris

I was thinking the same thing when I bought it. Part of the lure is that I've never seen one in person and I was attracted to the build quality -- and surprising the heft of the phone. Funny thing is, it's only a matter of time before that new "Galaxy S II" type WP7 phone hits the streets.

I have an addiction.:oops:
    Daniel Ruiz II likes this.
  6. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

LOL...the first step is admiting you have a problem. :p
    Daniel Ruiz II and chris like this.
  7. chris

I've heard that it addresses the WiFi issues -- I guess I'll find out soon enough. Curious if it'll ship with the new firmware.
  8. Patrick Sullivan

Patrick Sullivan New Member

I did the Direct from Dell $299 deal with free 2 day shipping. Got the T-Mo unlocked version. It arrived with 212 firmware installed and seems reliably solid so far (1 day). My first impressions are the DVP is nice, although the HD7 is worth the extra $100 (We got the HD7 on WP7 lauch day).
  9. chris

Got mine late Wednesday. Briefly checked it out. Wondering if it'll stack up to my Focus.
  10. Patrick Sullivan

A few weeks later I'm still enjoying the DVP. I had one snafu where I dropped it and the external audio quit working, but I explained my mistake to Dell and they graciously sent me a replacement. That was very sweet of them.

Battery life seems better than the HD7. The cellular radio subjectively seems faster, although connectivity may not be as good. Wi-fi has worked flawlessly -- I've read this was a serious issue with prior firmware.
  11. chris

Same here. I've had no issues with WiFi, but did notice that wasn't the case for plenty of folks pre-July firmware. Camera still isn't up to par. I'm having a tough time getting sharp images.
  12. Patrick Sullivan

Agree on the camera images being fuzzy, but if i brace the phone on a solid object they come out sharp. The cameras I'm used to have built in jitter reduction :)
  13. Patrick Sullivan

Another DVP weirdness; it's happened to me twice now that screen won't turn off until I power cycle the phone. 2 times in over a month makes it a very rare problem indeed, but it's a potential battery killer so I'm not thrilled. Otherwise, really loving the WP7 experience; and I have found a few occassions (mostly as passenger in a bumpy car) where the tactile slide out keyboard adds value.
  14. Patrick Sullivan

FYI: After many months of using the DVP I still have no regrets. Even better, the fuzzy camera issue I complained about earlier turns out to have been from my interacting with the akward angled camera shutter swtch. No that Mango supports a light screen touch to take the picture, no more fuzzy pictures. I expect I'll be happily using this phone until T-Mobile finally gets a new HTC Titan like device.