Just activated used Motorola Q on Sprint cannot get online

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by acorte, Oct 12, 2009.

1. acorte

acorte New Member

Just activated used Motorola Q on Sprint cannot get online

I just bought a used Sprint Motorola Q (original with Win Mobile 5) from a wireless reseller. I activated it on Saturday. They told me that the phone would work right away, but that data wouldn't work for about an hour. In an hour I tried, no luck. I spend an hour or so on the phone with tech support trying to update vision profile - keep getting 1012 error. Then we did a factory reset on the phone. All kinds of things. Tried changing the slotted index from 2 to 0. Nothing worked. They basically told me it was a device issue, which I don't buy. Any ideas what to try? I still have the codes to get into the phone set up memorized (the ##'s)
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

some things to try..

remove battery
    have sprint remove the data plan then add it back.
    keep trying to update the vision. It has taken me 30+ tries on more than one occasion
  3. acorte

acorte New Member

I just had sprint remove and re add the data plan, no luck. Did factory restore. They finally told me that they had to open a ticket with "the engineers". And I think I'd be able to pay my car off if I had a dollar for every time I attempted to update the vision profile and got the 1012 error, just since Saturday alone!
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

how long did you wait before trying to use data? Sometimes it can take a while to provision your phone for data (sometimes up to 4 hours)
  5. acorte

acorte New Member

They told me to try it right away
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

hmm, my wife once had data messed up on her old phone because someone tried using data before it was completely provisioned (they never did get it working, but we closed that account so it's ok). That was years ago though, I know they've sped up the time it takes to provision, when I activated my Touch Pro in march they told me that it could take up to 2 hours
  7. acorte

acorte New Member

I just talked to one of the Sprint Engineers. Wanted to post what they told me in hopes it could help others

in the ##DATA menu, select username, then edit. Then enter your MSL. I got lucky - mine is all 0's
    enter your Vision username. BTW, mine was NOT the username that all of the prior sprint techs gave me.

then go down to secondary home agent and enter the following IP:

Then enter your vision password in AAA password.

All of the other defaults should stay.

This worked right away.
  8. bmn

bmn New Member

Sorry for bumping this 5 month old topic, but I had the EXACT same problem acorte had and wanted to share my experience in case anyone else finds this thread via a google search as I did and is stumped as to why data services won't work.

I was trying to activate an old Motorola Q of mine on one of my lines for a friend to use, so I decided to use this Sprint monster file to flash back to factory settings first to delete all my old settings/texts/programs/everything. After doing so I couldn't get the phone to provision data correctly. I kept getting the 1012 error that acorte also kept getting. Several hours of talking to Sprint technical support didn't help as they insisted it was a device problem and told me to order a new phone. I also couldn't get them to give me the Vision/AAA password to manually configure things like acorte ended up doing.

Then I finally lucked upon the solution. Just like acorte my MSL was also all 0's (000000) instead of what the support reps kept telling me to key in. It reset to 000000 when I flashed with the monster file. Well what do you know it, that ended up being the problem. My guess as to what happens is that when the phone tries to update the vision profile it sends some sort of command over-the-air to your phone that includes the MSL it is assuming the phone will have. Since the phone is using 000000 instead, the vision profile update fails.

To change the MSL on the Q, key in ##073887* (##0SETUP*) and hit the call button, enter 000000 when it asks for the MSL, choose Extended NAM from the list, choose NAM1, then at the very bottom you can change the MSL (or SPC as it is labeled here). Change it to what the Sprint support people have been telling you to key in to get to the Service Programming screen. For me it was ##092356# so I changed it from 000000 to 092356.

After a soft reset, as long as the MDN/MSID programming is completed correctly, you should now be able to do the "Update Vision Profile" option and not have any more 1012 errors. Everything will configure correctly and data will be working once again.

Perhaps not so lucky after all. ;)