Jpeg size for wallpaper

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by mwp98223, Feb 8, 2007.

1. mwp98223

mwp98223 New Member

Jpeg size for wallpaper

I'm sure the simple answer is here in the forum, but I couldn't find it. What are the best dimensions for a jpeg to use as wallpaper on a homescreen for the Q? I have a jpeg I want to use, but I will modify the dimensions first. Thanks.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

320 x 240.
  3. The_Director

The_Director New Member

Actually, 320 by 213, and I believe at 72 dpi works best. The bottom 27 pixels of your display are taken up by the soft buttons graphics. I always create 320x240 workspace and then block out the bottom 27 pixels.
  4. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

What software do you use?
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i just checked a few of the jpg's that came w/ the Q and those were 320 x 240.

thanks.
  6. The_Director

The_Director New Member

rudeboy is right - 320x240 works, but (assuming you have valign="top" in your XML) the bottom 27 pixels are cut off by the softkeys (see picture). Hence I add the black block at the bottom to remind me of that. I use CorelDraw Suite 12, which includes a vector based (drawing) and a bitmap based (paint) package.

Attached Files:

7. qnoob

qnoob New Member

NICE, good to know . . . what about the top bar that shows the battery charge, cell signal? is that another 27 pixels to account for too?
  8. The_Director

The_Director New Member

The IconBar plugin is a default 27 pixels. In the homescreen shown above I combined it with the Profile plugin using the Orange.dll (look around in this forum or over at QUsers to find an easy .cab file to install that). The background of the IconBar can be transparent, so any wallpaper image will show through. Also, I've seen some homescreens where the IconBar is not at the top; I guess it can be placed anywhere on the screen according to its sequence in the XML fille.

What I don't quite understand is - if you are using somedody elses homescreen (or one of the defaults) and just want to change the wallpaper (one of the Setup / Homescreen options), how to be certain to avoid the infamous "white bar" that often appears if you don't use the homescreen's default wallpaper. Maybe that's where the 320x213 image comes from. (Note: the white bar in the image above is because I censored my calendar for this post, not due to the issue being discussed).
  9. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I'm under the impression that the *.jpg should be 320x240 (anything else and Windows will stretch / tile / center it) . . . and you should use 320x213 as a reference for the actual workspace you will putting artwork on so that it shows on the screen.
  10. mccarob

mccarob New Member

Okay, your theme looks really really nice, do you have that avaible on here? or any color/background variants?