January update rumors - Custom ring tones and turn by turn nav.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by kareljack, Nov 15, 2010.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Over at the wpcentral.com forums, one of the posters, who happens to be an AT&T employee, had a face to face conversation with a MS representative. It seems that the same update that will bring us copy/cut and paste will also "allow the consumer to edit, customize, and add ring tones of their choice. This app will also include a user "library" to search and download ring tones."
    Also rumored to be included is turn by turn navigation for Bing and better Skydrive support.

Now, these are only rumors and not officially announced by the head honchos over at MS - but if this is true, it will be a big step towards bringing WP7 up to speed. We can only hope that multi-tasking and fast task switching are also in the works. Quite frankly, the pain of not having a more fleshed out multitasking ability can be alleviated by developers having their apps cache data more efficiently on the phone, and also taking advantage of the updated 'suspend state' ability as recently outlined by MS.

Here is the link to the forum discussion. I hope I am not breaking any rules by linking to another Forum. If that is the case, mods please censor as you see fit.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-talk/176480-my-talk-windows-phone-7-employee.html
  2. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

Good news. I am starting to believe Microsoft is serious about WP7! :)
  3. termleech

termleech Member

Microsoft is very serious about WP7. I talked to a number of developers before the official launch (they were at many conferences) and they are full steam on this. I hope part of the January updates is also fixing the web browser and optimizing the speed (it can be sluggish at times and the touch is sometimes too sensitive, it will click when I want to swipe).
  4. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I hear you. I thought they were serious about WP7 when they first demo'd it, but now I believe it! :)