It's still using data...

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by itasor, Feb 23, 2008.

1. itasor

itasor New Member

It's still using data...

:angry::angry::angry:

I recently got a Motorola Q9m (Verizon obviously). I have absolutely no need for data except for picture messages (MMS), so I have performed the registry modification that requires a password to use the data connection except for MMS.

Only it's still using data somehow...

When I sign into My Account @ vzw.com, the last recorded data usage number was 29.01kb.

Tonight I signed in and as of 2/22/08 at 6:05PM (last night), it's up to 46.92kb. :angry: Yes I realize this is only 70 cents, but I am NOT using data, so I would like this to stop.

If I call Verizon they will tell me I accidentally opened IE or something, which I know isn't true, but I can't explain the registry hack to them.

How is it possible that these small amounts of data are being added to the bill when the only time I'm using data is for MMS (I have the $10 unlimited IN/500 other network plan).

It only bothers me because it's charging me for something I'm not using. If I wanted to use data I would sign up for a data plan.

Thanks for any help!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

do you have just a text plan or a text/pix plan?
  3. itasor

itasor New Member

I don't think there is just a text one that is $10. Mine is the unlimited messaging within the Verizon network plus 500 additional message to non-Verizon customers (other mobile customers, e-mail, instant message, etc.). Here is how Verizon describes it:

If it was charging me KB usage for the pictures I've sent/received, it would be WAY higher than 46.92kb.
  4. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

You can call VZW and have them put a datablock on your account. Then instead of data requiring a password, it just wouldn't work.

So long as you are not in a roaming area, PIX messages shouldn't cost data. However, even if you have a national access package, and if you are not in VZW territory, then PIX requires data usage.
  5. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

but a datablock would prevent MMS from sending as sending the pictures requires data even though it wouldn't be charged on the bill
  6. itasor

itasor New Member

Right, which is why I am on a pay-as-you go but with the password hack so I can't use data but still receive picture messages.

I realize everything about pictures costing data if you're roaming, etc. but this isn't a picture data use issue. If it was charging me data for the pictures I've sent, even if it was just ONE, it would be higher than 50kb.
  7. itasor

itasor New Member

WHAT is going on here? :angry:

I just logged in again and it's down to the 29.01kb for data usage again! So now my data usage counter is going down...that makes a lot of sense! The date is also back to 2/21, where as when it was up to 46.92kb, the date was 2/22. Good job Verizon!

Didn't want to make another post, but...

I was just out and it kept switching between EvDO and and 1x. Everytime it switched back to EvDO, the little PDA data icon comes on for about 10 seconds. Is that because it has to pull an IP for the phone? Would I be charged for that?
  8. itasor

itasor New Member

Sweet, up to 52.68kb as of 2/24/08 3:48PM. Verizon says I, or someone, must be launching IE on the phone.

Getting really frustrated here...

is anyone else having this problem? Could switching between EvDO and 1x as I described above really be charging me?
  9. itasor

itasor New Member

Up to 59.08kb as of 2/24/08 4:00PM.

See what I mean, it'll increase about 3kb every time I check it. That's obviously not data used for anything like transfer, as 3kb wouldn't go very far.

What the heck is going on?
  10. I get charged data about 95 kb a month, which is an extra 1.10 a month. I used mms and that is what is using the data. It does not matter if you have a data plan or not. Picture mms uses data and is not part of the 10.00 txt/mms plans because it is a business smartphone by their definition. Some get charged, some don't. If you block data, you cannot receive mms.

This has been debated back and forth with conflicting reports. MMS uses data on a treo, bb, q, etc. but not on a regular phone. Thats just the way Verizon is.
  11. itasor

itasor New Member

Ok, just an update. Just got off the phone with Verizon's billing and data network representatives.

The first guy tried telling me that I would be billed for data usage when receiving picture messages under the $10 pix/text plan. I explained to him that you don't, so he transferred me to data.

The data lady tells me that the 59.08kb is showing up on my account as data KB usage because I have sent 31 pictures. I explained that that's not possible because 31 pictures (even ONE picture) would take way more than 60kb of data, as some of my pictures are 240kb EACH on highest resolution, and I have sent a bunch of them.

I explained that if it's increasing from 56 ---> 59 kb, something small is using 3kb of data. No, she says that it's from the pictures and they are somehow being added in small amounts of data (like the 3 or so KB it increases by) until it "catches up". That makes no sense to me but she tells me she can't answer any further questions about it until the bill comes and it shows what the data is for.

Next data rep says exactly the same thing, the 59kb is from picture usage. NOT POSSIBLE...but they don't like when you try to explain things to them.

So I spent a long time on the phone and got nothing accomplished.

They want me to get another data block. I told them if they would like to discount the $10 pix/txt plan to $5 since I would only be able to use half of it, I would gladly take a data block, but there's NO WAY I am going to pay for something like picture messaging and then not be able to make use of it.

I still have 30 days trial with this Q9m and while I really love the phone, this data usage thing is so annoying...
  12. Even if your pics are 200+kb they are reduced in size when sent, zipped in a way so it doesn't clog up verizon's network.
  13. itasor

itasor New Member

Hmm, I didn't know that. Makes sense though.

So do you think the ~60kb sounds right for 31 pictures (though it's probably delayed).

I guess I will just have to wait for the bill and see if any of the data is actually being charged for!
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

right i think thats the important part
    becuase if picture messaging is part of the text/pix plan you can accrue data but sure as hell shouldnt pay for it
  15. I just take it as verizon raking me across the coals anyway they can.
    my wife had 14 downloads from get it now on the bill, but only two games and two ringtones were actually downloaded. I think they billed her at 99 cents each. Go figure.
  16. oresteez

oresteez New Member

This sounds kind of like 'raise/bonus time' at my old job...

Instead of fighting for a raise when you go into your meeting with the manager, you just walk in with a jar of Vaseline and prepare to be..........you know..
  17. itasor

itasor New Member

So yeah they billed me for 65kb (98 cents). Not sure why since I never touched any internet features and even they agreed that I have done everything possible to not use data.

That right there tells me that NO, picture message data does NOT show up in the KB usage counter like they said it would. I figured 65kb was way too low for a bunch of picture messages but wasn't sure. Now that I was billed for it I know it has to be from something else.

Even though it is now on the bill they still refuse to explain what exactly used the data or how I can not use data in the future.
  18. Welcome to my Verizon world.
  19. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I've had my q9m since it was released and only the first month was I ever billed for data and that was my fault for not settng up wifi right so it used the data connection instead of wifi. I have never set the registry key to block either.
  20. To quote Teddy...

"HE TRAPPED ME!!!"
    Thats how verizon works....
    That being said, I look at as paying a LOT more for better service/ reception.
    Its my monthly tip to them for working so had to "Stick it in me"