Its here. But... questions about contacts.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Flaystus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

When you make a phone call it takes you to People in place of a traditional address book.

This means my hundreds of facebook friends are on the list. This is very annoying!
    Heck most of them don't have phone numbers in their fb contact info!

Most of them I'd never call in a million years!

Is there a more tradional address book somewhere?
    And how can I get my Contacts from Windows 7 into this thing?
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You can transfer your contacts to your Windows Live or Gmail accounts on PC, and in turn those contacts will sync to your phone.

You can filter FB friends from contacts: settings/application/people/include facebook as contacts[only add facebook info to existing contacts].

In people hub you can search by 1) tapping on search icon and manually enter name 2) tapping on any letter to jump around quicker.

You can pin individual contacts to homescreen to function as a speed dial.
  3. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Thanks. I finally got it all sorted out. Your tip helped a ton.

Sadly I think I deleted a friend off the facebook contacts and now I can't "find" him to link his facebook with his actual contact. Heck he doesn't even appear as a friend to the phone any longer though he still is in facebook on my PC and in the facebook app.

GAh!

Still so far minor and its coming together.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I don't think you can delete a FB contact, because the delete option is grayed. Something else must have happened. Try syncing FB manually and see if the contact returns: settings/email & accounts/Facebook[tap and hold/sync].
  5. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Sadly I already did that. Phone just hates my buddy I guess. :confused:

Other then that I've ran into a bit of a complaint. When plugged into the Aux port on my car radio (and the aux port level all the way up in ITS config) Slacker radio is not loud enough. I can never jam out with the volume limited.

I've not no actual music on it yet in MP3 format. I hope its not the same cause if so its going back.
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That's weird about the FB contact.

Have you tried downloading and using the Sound Enhancer app by HTC?
  7. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Can a samsung use it?
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oops. Sorry, I don't know why I assumed you had a Surround. I don't think it will work for Samsung, as it won't even show up in the Marketplace for a non-HTC device.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Just a thought about your missing friend, is it possible that his FB and phone contact has been automatically linked?
  10. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Nope. Not linked. And doesn't even show up in the list if I try to manually link him. Its like the phone doesn't see him as a friend of mine. Though he is.
  11. Fleon

Fleon New Member

I had a "lost" contact for a day too. At some point he just popped into the address book and all his FB info was there. I'm guessing WP7 doesn't check for new FB contacts constantly? Maybe you'll have the same thing happen to you?

Since the phone lacks a traditional "favorites" section for commonly called people, there are a few solutions. There are a number of apps that simulate this behaviour, so you could install those. Or you could do what I did, which looks much, much cooler:

Go into the People hub. Find a contact you call a lot. Press and hold the name until you get the popdown menu and "Pin to Start". On your Start screen you now have a tile there with a picture and some cool animation with their name. If it's a FB contact, it will also show recent FB updates as little text snippets. It's very cool looking and I like it a ton. I have 10 very pretty, very colorful tiles that are constantly moving. Even my snobby iPhone friends think it's neat.
  12. Noah A. Bolmer

Noah A. Bolmer New Member

Annoying that I can't organized my large list of contacts into lists. I should be able to filter by Business, Family, Friends, etc
  13. termleech

termleech Member

Once there is full EAS support on the phone you will be able to do this. Unfortunately you can't right now. I'm hoping full EAS is planned in the January release.
  14. Noah A. Bolmer

They could have VERY easily had discrete contact lists of varying types without full EAS support
  15. termleech

termleech Member

They could however it would be local to the phone. The only way to support the grouping on the server with with full EAS support (or specifically grouping support).
  16. Noah A. Bolmer

True, but that's not nearly as important (to most consumers) as the ability (in every other smartphone) to either 1) create discrete lists of contacts or 2) organize contacts by a particular field (such as contact type).

Another thing I've noticed, to my dismay, is an issue with the contact linking system. I figured that one workaround would be to create a business as a contact - only fill out the business phone number, and company name. Then take that contact and use the linking feature to link it to people in that business. Unfortunately, the functionality breaks down; instead of the business being the primary contact, WP7 takes the first contact you link, and makes IT the main contact, with the business and other contacts as linked sub-contacts.
  17. termleech

termleech Member

Unfortunately I think that the linking right now is only designed to link your contacts between accounts of the same contact not multiples one (for example your gmail contacts and the same person on facebook).
  18. RobR

RobR Member

Anyone know how to have your contacts display by last name rather than first name?
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

settings/applications/people
    chris likes this.
  20. RobR

RobR Member

There it was, so easy to find and yet I couldn't...awesome thanks!