It's a sad day when my Q9m died....

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by nesknowitall, May 3, 2009.

1. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

It's a sad day when my Q9m died....

So I absolutely loved my Q. NEVER crashed and ran amazing after using many of the tweaks and programs on here. But yesterday I was bragging to my friend who works for apple how amazing my phone was and etc. I came home and it was running like garbage so I restarted it, (I one time ran my phone for around 6 months without shutting it down) and it was doing the same. Ok so I'm like Oh, SH!T I need to get my contacts and calender backed up which I did and do I master reset. While syncing my contacts with outlook they got erased on my phone which was no biggie since I had the PIM.VOL saved to my computer as a fail safe. So I copied that file back onto my phone and restarted....

Now it's stuck at the windows mobile green screen. I'm assuming I've corrupted something important or it's just dead. Can I flash the ROM without going to Verizon? Is it possible the PIM.VOL file will do this after the phone is fixed? Or should I just get the refurb Q9m on Verizon and start from scratch?

Suggestions extremely appreciated!
  2. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Just to explain further what I did and what I just found out.

I can access my phone as removable storage from my computer even though it's "frozen"

Also I was unable to replace the PIN.VOL before this all happened, so I labeled it PIN1.VOL then changed the empty PIN to PINX.VOL and called the PIN with contacts on it PIN.VOL Also I just deleted the second .VOL file and it still is stuck. I was thinking it was trying to load both or the wrong .vol file. So I'm going to try some more and get back with results.
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

may try and wipe it again then copy the good pim file to a folder on the device. Then use resco or total commander to move it to it's final place..
  4. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Well that would work if I could get into the phone but like I said it freezes when loading. I am going to play aroung with it. Maybe even delete the PIM file all together. Or even try and sync the phone with outlook...
  5. sherri

sherri Active Member

Did you try turning phone off totally? Then, push and hold down the center of the scroll wheel. While holding this down, push the "power on" button. Hold both buttons until you get the prompt to Master Reset...

Wasn't sure how you were going about the Master Reset, so if you tried this, and it didn't work, sorry!
  6. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

still gets stuck at the same windows mobile screen, how long should I have to wait for the master reset screen?
  7. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

theres a way to master reset your phone via the regular keys (when your having an issue like now) one sec and Ill find out how again.

*edit here ya go.
    1. Start with the Motorola Q powered off, then power the device on.
    2. At the startup screen, hold down the center button on the navigation pad for 5 seconds until you get a Master Reset? prompt. Then select Yes
  8. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

NOT the scrollwheel . . . thee center D-pad key AND the power key. Then wait 'til the MR prompt comes up. :) -Q
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

Thanks for catching that! I knew what I meant!! LOL!

The big silver button on the FACE of the Q...
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

No biggie, Sherri . . . I do it all the time lately. Too many darn "senior moments" these days. :) -Q
  11. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Ok so I did try the master reset and like I said the windows mobile screen still stays there. But the phone will vibrate as if I recieved a txt or voicemail when it gets to that screen but stays stuck. Also my alarm will go off if I hold the power button down to shut it off as well as the top home screen bar for a split second. It cannot recieve calls and cannot make them. It seems like the OS on the phone is corrupt or there is a hardware problem preventing the phone from booting correctly.

Thanks for all the help so far, if you have any suggestions that will help me keep this pone i'd appreciate it.
  12. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Boot it again > once it is "stuck" > remove the battery for a minute or so > reinsert battery > reboot > report back how you did. :) -Q
  13. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Nothing, same stuff
  14. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Two things: If you moved and renamed PIM.Vol PIN.vol that'll stop your Q in its tracks. Rename that right away.
    If not that, use a very stable version of RSD Lite. I've never had a problem with 4.2 (w/patch). Flash again. Good luck, man. :) -Q
    (2 U from my Q9Nap)
  15. nesknowitall

nesknowitall New Member

Hey thanks a lot. I assumed thats what killed it so I put the original backup pim.vol on there and removed the other ones from the phone. It booted and I instantly reset it then moved the PIM.vol with my info back on the phone and it works fine now.

Now I just need to get all my tweaks back on and programs, which shouldn't take too long.

Again thanks for all the help! Hopefully this can help someone with the same problem in the future.
  16. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

That's GREAT, man !!! Glad you are up and running. It's all good now! :) -Q