Is Windows Phone 7 usable with Linux?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by PatrickAupperle, Apr 24, 2011.

1. PatrickAupperle

PatrickAupperle New Member

I am considering buying a Windows Phone 7 Phone (mostly do develop apps), but would really like to know if it can connect to Linux. Although I realize all of my dev work would have to be done in Windows, it would be really nice to do simple things such as transferring music in Linux.
  2. sean reynolds

sean reynolds New Member

i am pretty sure it is compatible... tmobile tech support told me if i didnt like windows 7 OS i could run android on it with a simple port... android is linux based so, i assume it can
  3. PatrickAupperle

Thank you for the response. That doesn't sound right. I really didn't think these phones would run android. The bigger thing is, I already have an android phone. I would be buying this phone for the Windows Phone 7 OS. So, while your response is greatly appreciated and intriguing, it really doesn't answer my question. Also, yes, Android is compatible with Linux. An Android phone connects as a Universal Mass Storage device. Once again, thank you for responding. Anyone else have input?
  4. PatrickAupperle

Really, has no one tried using their windows phone with linux?
  5. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

I wouldn't bother.

As far as i know, Windows is the only properly supported OS. There is a tool for Syncing with a Mac, but thats pretty basic. I've certainly not heard of a tool for using WP7 with a Linux PC.
  6. PatrickAupperle

Wow, that sucks. I guess I won't be getting it then. Microsoft really should allow direct access to the files so we could all add a file where and when we want to. Why is it locked down to syncing software?
  7. Seth Ramsak

Seth Ramsak New Member

My guess is piracy but who knows. Im pretty sure the only way to transfer music is through Zune.
  8. PatrickAupperle

How does that help with piracy? They don't lock it down to only their music, do they?
  9. Jevez

Jevez New Member

Patrick, if you want and if i'm not too late i can update you with a decent answer this monday, then i'll have my windows phone...
    (I use Opensuse and Gentoo)

##EDIT##
    It is not possible to use a Windows Phone on a linux machine.