Is this true? - Regarding file transfers.

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by MangoMozart, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MangoMozart

MangoMozart New Member

You cannot use a USB cable to transfer data files, I.E. files that are not music, video or pictures. I want to put PDF files on there, the phone comes with Word... yet you cannot put a word document on it. I either have to upload them somwhere and then download them back to my phone or e-mail it to myself.

This can't be true... can it?!

I'm too used to Android, being able to just drag and drop anything to the device.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

jaysonben likes this.
  3. MangoMozart

MangoMozart New Member

Thanks I had done basically the same thing by changing 3 registry keys, although this makes it easier so thanks.

However this basically gives the same features as Zune or the ability to use it as a mobile storage device. What I really need is a way to put files onto the device that the phone can actually see. For example if I put a PDF file onto the root of the device Adobe reader can't see it.

This isn't very practical if you're on the move, I.E. no access to your home network. If you need to use mobile broadband to e-mail yourself a file, then use more data allowance on your phone to download it again, only to find "There's no application associated with this file type" even though the icon shows as an Adobe reader file.

Honestly the more I use this thing the more I regret ever getting it. I've had more functionality out of a fisher price toy.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If emailing doesn't work for you, then you could try uploading to Skydrive. Granted this does not address the fact that you have to use data (unless of course you're connected via wifi), but it will give you the option of downloading your PDF, Word, Excel, etc. files from anywhere you have internet access (ie PC, mobile browser, WP 7 Office Hub). You can also upload to skydrive from your phone (I'm sure you knew that already). Pure speculation on my part, but this was perhaps set up this way, because in part of MS push of cloud services. "To the cloud! Yay!" :)
  5. MangoMozart

MangoMozart New Member

Yeah I agree they do want it like that, however it would be nice if you could sync via your USB cable for office related items, including PDFs. .mobi files would be nice as well, for the kindle app.

Anyway, I tried DropBox and it didn't work for me, so I tried Skydrive as you suggested and it worked. Not something I had used before, still a pain but at least it's a solution.

Thanks,