is this thing really this slow?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by antonio, Jun 23, 2006.

1. antonio

antonio New Member

is this thing really this slow?

why is there such a delay when I push the buttons on my Q? this is slower than cold molasses. did i get a dud or is this the real deal? the navigation wheel is practically useless because it can't keep up. am i missing something?
  2. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

You may want to try and kill a few processes, if you have a few apps still running it could definitely slow it down. I usually try to go in and kill some apps every hour or so.
  3. Cornbread

Cornbread New Member

Yes mine is very slow also, it must have a weak processor.
  4. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

I don't think of it as running slow....

I just pretend that it runs with a certain rhythm...

Seriously, compared to my old Blackberry the software is clunky and makes the reaction seem slow. But after a couple of weeks I have been trained by the Q to pace my input, and I have had no problems (skipped/missed letters, etc.) since.

-Simpson
  5. vzwchick

vzwchick New Member

Not Slow.. Just Different...

My Q doesn't seem to run all that slow.. Ya it has its moments though.. But its not like its riding the lil yellow school bus.. heehee.. ok that was mean :happy:

It has its own personality! :laugh:
  6. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

It seem to run at about the same rate as my old Treo...Im happy with it!
  7. rj5620

rj5620 New Member

Perhaps the programs running in the background that need to be closed? are slowing it down? A nice macro with a key being held down to stop all tasks might be an answer?
  8. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

9. chris

Disregard second part of previous post. It specifically says Not Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone compatible.:thumbdown
  10. tymewillcome

tymewillcome New Member

I am having the same problem with my phone. WHen I enter sounds under settings to chage my ringtone, it takes 3 minutes to open up!! It is odd, I dont know what is up? Should I return the Q??:(
  11. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

It is not very speedy, but with all the options that the BB didn't have, it is very acceptable.
  12. chris

This is not typical.Unsure I just duplicated your steps and it tooks seconds.
    Have you killed all processes?

-Chris
  13. beaseac

beaseac New Member

Is there any tools out there to overclock the processor on the Q? XCPUScaler works great on PocketPCs... it would be nice to have something like that on the Q.
  14. Mr. Q

Mr. Q New Member

Speaking of Running Slow

Has anyone noticed how slow the Q is in turning on. I mean if I am at a meeting to take notes or chck my claendar the time it takes to log on and all is pretty slow. ANy way around theslow turn on?
  15. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

I have the same issue. What I have done is set my Q to 'Silent' during meetings...that way I don't have to wait the 120-180 seconds to look up that one single piece of information to keep the meeting flowing.

There may be a workaround for a quick boot, but this has worked for me so far.

-Simpson
  16. tymewillcome

tymewillcome New Member

Correction to my sounds folder previoulsy stated....I found out that adding mp3s to your library for media player makes the sounds folder open slow...it adds all the songs added ot your library. My solution was to make a folder containing my mp3's, and not updating the library on media player. Now my sounds folder opens up instantly:thumbup:
  17. Rhstevenson

Rhstevenson New Member

I must have gotten one of the good ones because i'm not having any issues with it. Then again i haven't installed anything other than Pocket Light and Agile Messenger. I've added my own ringtones and schemes and it's still pretty quick. Perhaps people's backgrounds are large, causing the home screen to load slowly? I have to say that the menus and such are faster than my Palm T|X, so i'm happy. Startup is slow, but i'm never in a hurry to make a phonecall that i can wait a few extra secondsUnsure
  18. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

(edited)

ooops

-Simpson
  19. justincase

justincase New Member

don't return it, this is a quirky function of MSoft which uses a library to look up certain functions and ring tones is processed before it is played.
  20. macguy

macguy New Member

Surely some double shot coder could make it easier to do a kill-all. Maybe add it to the Quick list menu?