Is this phone a pos or what?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jshultz78, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jshultz78

jshultz78 New Member

Is this phone a pos or what?

I got a new q9c last friday, haven't had nothing but problems, first, on sunday, I connected with internet sharing, my v3m razr had faster download speeds than this thing, after I got offline, it just shut off and locked up, had to take the battery out to get it going again. Then yesterday it shut off for no reason, but I was able to turn it right back on. Called alltel, and they labeled it as defective, took it back and got a new one, worked fine until this morning, I recieved a call, hung up, and 5 minutes later was going to make another call, and it was turned off, had to take the battery out to get it turned back on. Seriously is this the best that motorola can do? I was better off with my 2-1/2 year old beat up razr v3m. What is going on with this thing?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

did they give you a new battery when they swapped devices? If not have them do so, as this maybe causing some of your issues
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

did you fully charge the battery when you got the phone? I've been using a Q9c for a year now with none of those problems...
  4. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

IMHO -- yes it is. I know a lot of people here love the phone and will surely give you testimonials on why the Q9c rocks.

Personally, I've been stuck with this phone for almost a year now (company phone). As of tomorrow I'm going back to my Blackberry now that my 1yr contract is up.

I'm on my 3rd Q9c phone and still reboots mysteriously and I have NOTHING installed on it except the default apps. This happened on my WinMo 6.0 and 6.1 phones. Basically, if you never use the bluetooth stack or always shut it off when you do not have a headset connected -- you will be ok (maybe).

If you want a phone that "just works" and is not something that you want to tinker with, reboot, yank the battery and install questionable applications on -- take it back.

However, if you decide to keep the phone I would suggest continuing to utilize this forum as there are a ton of knowledgeable people here who can help you deal with the issues you are bound to face.

Again -- just my $0.02
  5. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

My original Q had those issues, but my 9C has been rock solid. Not one wierd issue in 6 months.
  6. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

In the defense of the Motorola Q9C....my phone has only frozen up like 2...maybe 3 times total since I bought it....and all the times it did it was because I was running too many programs or not cleaning out my memory/sms inbox on a daily basis.

As for the problems you have described, I personally have experienced none of these problems. The phone dials and hangs up correctly, the verizon EVDO network is blazing fast, and my system runs very smoothly.

How do I maintain my phone?

- Regular memory & auto-cleanups w/ SKtools

- Clearing the inbox daily, disabling storing of deleted messages, emptying all draft boxes daily, clearing temporary folders many times a day.

- Disable startup programs that arent necessary. Disable automated or scheduled processes like Windows Update and set e-mail accounts to sync manually.

- Watch your Task Manager like a hawk. Close inactive programs frequently and dont allow your memory to fill up. 99% of all freezes and lockups are generally because the system doesnt have the processing/memory resources to close a program that has crashed or malfunctioned.

- Be choosy about your programs. Dont install hordes of programs, read reviews of everything you install before you download it and see what users say about the program. Don't install garbage, and remove applications you don't use.

by doing these things my phone has gone almost 6 months without a master reset and continues to function perfectly. I don't deny myself anything...I have probably 10 apps, many of which I use on a daily basis.

The Q9C is most certainly not a terrible device if you operate and maintain it correctly. If you lack the skill to do this then perhaps you need a BB or an I-phone.
  7. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Great tips Dark..
  8. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

I dsiagree. Your phone should not be that much work.

But, as I said, I don't do any of that and mine still runs great. The only apps I have are the CHome thingy, CHome weather, and MS Live.

I never delete SMS anything, I never run memory cleanups.

I certainly never "watch my task manager like a hawk". Who wants to do that? If any phone requires that much work I would have to agree with the OP... get something else. I don't think the Q9C requires nearly that much effort.

I do agree with being choosy about proggies you install.
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

RIM and apple can advertise stability in their platforms simply because the OS is more locked down. Any time you introduce the ability to customize there is some inherent instability. Just like a PC Windows Mobile does require some basic maintenance as was already mentioned.
  10. ptsergent

ptsergent New Member

i'm new to these phones had mine about 3 months only problems I have with mine I caused. if u know how v to take care of your pc do the same with this phone and it will work great for u. little common sense goes a long way. if u get a lot of texts or emails (common sense) sooner or later u got to delete them. just like a pc if your running a lot of programs its gona run slower (here again common sense) last thing in this ramble if u had a razr u gotta know this phone is 10000 times the phone a razr is. its like a mini laptop.
  11. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

where can I download this common sense app? :p
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

just send $500 to my paypal account, I'll send you a copy:wink:
  13. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I obviously have a Q9h...but i keep mine in order. Haven't had any problems other than slow downs, or lock ups or a crash now and these are always a direct result from the use of an app i've installed. Like was mentioned when the user has the access to hack and slick and dice a registry. Customize for your needs or just for the fun of it..Prepare to run in to some issues.

I for one love that i can go in the registry and do so much..Not that i know so much ofcourse. But keeps me liking the phone when i'm learning something new about it all the time....goes for learning anything for that matter.

I guess we should also keep in mind...It may be a bit more frustrating having problems with your Q if it a req'd piece of equipment for your business, that could be a bigger issue, but then again back up, back up, backup.... :)

Me, mines for keeping in contact with the world while on the go..
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

bummer..... i am not into defending the Q (i think my # of posts more or less tell the story) i have a Q1 for about 18 months without any serious issues (and issues i had were often operator related :}, had this Q9c for about 6-7 months now.. updated to WM6.1 when the (leaked) rom became available and i must say... it's a great device, for me it is.

but.... as i said before, the Q is not for everyone.

good luck.
  15. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

will do as soon as the change in me pocket earns enough interest :)

@ OP ..
    sorry you have had a bad experiance, I hope the next device suits your needs/likes better
  16. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I agree Rudeboy, however I would ammend that statement to include "Windows Mobile is not for everyone."
  17. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Agreed. I won't defend it either. Just state my experience.

No phone is perfect for everyone.
  18. papped

papped New Member

Never had problems with my Q9C, other than the double inbox issue when doing the sd card hack and removing the sd card (which is pretty annoying). Any crashes or hangs were usually due to 3rd party app problems, not really related to the phone itself screwing up.

I find that WM in general requires more babysitting than other OS's like BB (except for Palm). The memory management in WM6 definitely seems better than WM5 though. I really hated WM5...
  19. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I only clean up my phone from time to time, and have had no real problems since I upgraded to 6.1. I should uninstall some apps I don't use, but right now I'd say I have more than than 40 apps installed with no problems.

But as RB said, the Q series is not for everyone. It can require some tinkering and love to get it right, and people that don't want this would do better with something else.
  20. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

"If you think that's bad, try loosing a testicle in a knife fight with your mother"----Family Guy