Is the lag really as bad as this Engadget video?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by B0SS, Nov 28, 2010.

1. B0SS

B0SS New Member

I'm just wondering if the third-party apps typically still have this much lag and bugs?

Here is the video.

It's the second one down, demonstrating the "problems" with the third-party apps.

I would imagine this has been at least partially resolved by now, if not completely fixed, but I'd like to know, because that erratic behavior almost renders the phone unusable.
  2. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I wouldn't give much weight to that review anyway. They state that apps don't save their state, and that you have to restart the app each time the screen locks. This is false. They obviously didn't do any research or they would have known that if you hit the home key, you can then hit the back key to go back to the app. If you just hit the back key, it exits the app. Engadget is great for finding out about new stuff, they suck at reviews. If you are going to be a reviewer, you owe to your readers to make sure you have correct info before publishing it. If you run into problems, you should be finding out whether it is a usage problem or a real issue.

I have not had any real problems with third party apps and performance.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I only watched the first few seconds of the video. I use both the official Twitter app and Beezz. Load time could be better, but it's no where near what's being shown in that video. 7 second load time to tweets in Beezz and roughly the same in the official twitter app.

I haven't seen any lag issues. The UI once in an app is smooth as any device I've used.
  4. B0SS

B0SS New Member

@NaplesBill ok, thanks.

Yeah, that video seemed kind of sketchy, as did their evidence and research.

@chris ok, yeah, most of the other videos make it seem like the UI is really smooth
  5. termleech

termleech Member

There are at times lag, but it's not that bad. I have definitely noticed lag (especially when using the marketplace) but it's never 7 seconds (usually a second).
  6. johndandison

johndandison New Member

The statement in the review that 'Microsoft actually creates a UI that's intuitive...' goes to show what the attitude was of the reviewer going into the review. I read engadget daily, but their reviews are crappy. If it can be used on a cellular network, the best it could ever be is 'almost' as good as the iPhone. Pffft

I've found some apps exhibit occasional lagginess, but it's never been more than a slight delay.
  7. Thai Le

Thai Le New Member

No I don't see that much lag with my Samsung Focus, everything for the most part is smooth. However there may be a slight delay but it's because the app has to download the data.