Is The Battery Life Really That Poor, or Is It Just My Phone?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by lilsnatch07, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lilsnatch07

lilsnatch07 New Member

Is The Battery Life Really That Poor, or Is It Just My Phone?

I normally have my phone fully charged before I leave in the morning. Just yesterday I couldn't even make it home (9am - 3pm) without my Motorola Q almost dieing from usage. I didn't think I was using the phone that much, but maybe I was?

I checked about 3 websites:
    -ESPN-
    -Weather.com-
    -Wikipedia-

And during this time period (9am-3pm) I sent maybe 20 texts and three phone calls.

Is this normal for the phone's battery life to be that short? I mean I don't expect to be able to do browse on my phone all day and then still have three bars worth of battery but I would atleast like to do what I had just mentioned. I've had the phone for 1 week and it has died on me atleast 4 times.

What gives?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the battery should get better as time goes on, if not take the battery back to a repair shop and have them swap it for a new one
  3. erupert

erupert New Member

Seems pretty short. I went for the extended battery because a full day was hard to get, expecially with a lot of internet browsing.

Hint, keep a USB cable at work and keep it plugged in. Even if it's not enough current to charge it, it keeps it from draining.
  4. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

I usually keep my on a USB cable at work, but I'm sure my phone would do better than that.

If you have the time, I would try a hard reset and see how the phone does on a clean install. I'll bet it does better ...
  5. I can get almost a full weekend out of my phone with extensive game playing, watching videos, txting and oh yeah talking. However I don't have a data plan so my phone is not checking my email every 15 min.
  6. cheri

cheri Active Member

i make sure i keep my Q''s backlight dimmed , that my email settings only check every hour.

i use data, my Q is my primary phone, i go on the web, text, play games and get a decent day out of the battery.

Didnt used to but someone mentioned here batteries need to be conditioned. Seems to work better over time.
  7. lilsnatch07

lilsnatch07 New Member

It's getting a little better but I also have it check my e-mail every 2 hours....
  8. mdbrandy

mdbrandy New Member

I use push e-mail off an exchange server, browse a little bit, and use an S9 stereo bluetooth headset. In a "normal" day, I get 20 or 30 e-mails, browse a site or two, make 1 or 2 calls, and listen to music on the headset for 1 to 4 hours. I can usually make it from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm when I get home with at least 2 bars left. Once in a while I have it down to 1 bar. I bought my Q9 in Sept 07.

If I don't use the bluetooth/MP3 playing during a day, I almost always get to the end of the day with 3 bars left.

Mark
  9. reklisammy

reklisammy New Member

email

do you have your email synced? if the little rows are showing up on the top right hand corner of your q then you are using the battery. you need to hit your home key and disconnect cellular data. this will work
  10. lexicon

lexicon New Member

how long were those phone calls? phone calls still chews up the battery the most. you can disable your ir port (if you have one) as well as turning off BT and wifi. the screen brightness will also do you in because whatever you're doing like surfing will be compounded by he fact that your screen is blazing way at ultra bright supernova level.
  11. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I was just about to post with a battery issue myself. Mine lasts for at least two days even when using it, however its twice died half way through the first day, second time was this weekend. When I got enough of a charge to get it to power back on the only app running was text messages despite me normally killing everything often. I had recieved one of those free ad text messages from Verizon a couple weeks ago but every now and then the text message app is running even though I never use it. I'm wondering if its somehow related and the app is killing the battery.
  12. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

Locked up applications and poor signal strength will zap the battery in no time. Not much you can do to avoid it if you don't know that it's going on, this happened to me quite often, I have mapped the right soft key to pull up the task manager so I can monitor apps and kill them if needed, I also turn off EVDO if i'm in a low signal area for any length of time. This has really helped my battery. At work I have really poor signal and the phone would constantly be trying to establish an EVDO signal and draining the battery, at the end of the day i would have 1 bar remaining sometimes it would die, now I can make it through the day and still have (3) bars, big difference.
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I haven't been in any low signal areas, but every time I bring up task manager the text messages app is up, I don't know why.
  14. cornelious2

cornelious2 New Member

I have been having this same issue, make sure you are using kill all in the task manager, and then use menu exit to get out of the task manager. I moniter the memory usage of the phone in its "idle" state (no wireless sync, no active programs) when it gets above around 30 megs of memory in use I pull out the battery for a few seconds and restart the phone. That has hugely helped my battery life and signal. But then again I am becoming fairly OCD about it now. Hope it helps a bit!
  15. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I always do, so I don't understand where the text messaging program is coming from every time.
  16. cornelious2

cornelious2 New Member

My guess, is every time it needs to check for a text message it opens the program and doesn't close it when its done checking. But I am no WM expert.
  17. Eugene

Eugene New Member

i wonder if I can control that somehow, prevent it from checking.
  18. Stewart

Stewart New Member

I work with around 60 Q's at my place of work. 25% of the people here have complained about batteries. I suggest getting a replacement phone. It seems like it is the phone that causes this problem and not the battery. I am not an electrician by any means, but if the battery doesn't fail right away, it shouldn't have any dead cells in it and will last it full life cycle.
  19. cornelious2

cornelious2 New Member

I've personally gone through 5 black Q's and 2 Q9m's and think its a combination of mediocre battery life to start off with, combined with windows mobile having software not kill its self like it should. I could just have really bad luck with this phone, but I am willing to wager a WM6 patch would clear up the issue for 90% of people.
  20. Stewart

Stewart New Member

Yeah I believe so to - however I have a feeling that windows update will not be free.