Is it possible to enable menu list keypad shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by shagerott, Oct 27, 2007.

1. shagerott

shagerott New Member

Is it possible to enable menu list keypad shortcuts?

Hi,

I'm a long time Dash user and am switching over to Verizon and the Q. I noticed that both the Q and the Q9 have the little numbers removed from the right soft key menu list in all of the apps. I'm guessing this is because the scroll wheel is intended to be used to run through the menu list. However, for long lists, I've grown use to being able to just hit the number pad to jump to a menu item. Is there a way to turn these back on?

As a further test, I hit the number pad (key 3 for example), and nothing happens when the menu is opened in an app. On the Dash, this would cause the 3rd item in the menu list to be selected.

Thanks much!
  2. winotree

winotree New Member

Hello...well, yes...Try Start > Menu (this will allow you to assign speed dials to your apps) or a freebie app called Jeyo Personalizer does a nifty job!!

Find it at http://www.jeyo.com

Either way, let us hear back from you!!
  3. shagerott

shagerott New Member

Rather than launching an app from the Start menu, I was talking about the menu within each application. Here's a link to a screenshot illustrating what I mean. Check out the shots at the bottom of the page:

http://www.developerone.com/agendaone/screenshots.htm

The screen shots at the bottom of the page illustrate the numbers next to the menu items. You can hit the number on your keypad to directly jump to these, rather than scrolling and selecting. On the Q9 (and Q), it appears that these numbers and the corresponding keypad short cuts are disabled.

The reason I ask is that this makes it pretty easy to perform common tasks within an application.

Thanks again!
  4. winotree

winotree New Member

Ohhh...OK. I understand now...way more than I need though. Hope you find what you're looking for!!
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

as suggested speed dial comes to mind, assign a number to an app and you can start it from the home screen without having to go to the Start Menu. secondly but not sure if it works with the Q9 there is Right Menu and Smart Tool Kit..
  6. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Looks like the numbers have been replaced by the letters underlined in the menus. I had never noticed this till you got me looking. I usually scroll and click. I just have to remember to try using the feature to see if I'd rather navigate this way.
    Seems like most programs are WM5.0 smartphone are set up this way.
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

He's not looking for ways to open apps but to navigate menus within apps.

For opening apps I use a combination of Facade, QuickLauncher and the Start Menu.
  8. problem with this is that the menu resets after going to each screen. First screen would have A for internet explorer, but on the second screen A could be for file manager.
  9. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Again, the OP is not asking about opening apps but navigating right soft key menu items within an application.
  10. Didn't see your post above mine. My wrong.
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

No problem...I'm going on a year with my Q and still finding new features...cool....Fred
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

oops.. i mis-understood/read.
  13. shagerott

shagerott New Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. Yes, I noticed in the Settings app that the number short cuts were replaced by letters. Maybe this is the case for other apps too, rather than the few built in ones I looked at?

Sorry for the confusion on shortcuts within apps, rather than short cuts to the apps. DrQ has been right on with his points! I imagine in the end the scroll wheel will make this all moot, based on what you've reported. Just gotta jump in there and sign up for a new Q9! However, I'd like to see what the Q9c turns into, as compared to the Q9m.
  14. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

What does smart tool kit do? Been through that entire site and still don't know what it's for.
  15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Download the manual and that will explain all the features.
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it creates a Windows desktop version a-like Start Menu..
  17. OceanQ9m

OceanQ9m New Member

This guy explains it pretty well. Then the comment below leads to me to believe there isn't a manual.

http://www.smarttoolkit.mobi/forum/view/275
  18. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Click on download and scroll down. A manual was posted yesterday.

When I read your question I looked at the site as I didn't remember what this was and that I had tried it 6 months ago. Found the manual and now have tried the new version. There's a long thread on this. I read it after looking at the manual, then decided to try it out again.