Is anyone using Hosted Exchange from SherWeb?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ScottQ9c, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Is anyone using Hosted Exchange?

I don't have an exchange server, but I'm intrigued by "Hosted Exchange" services. Is anyone here using such a service? If so, I'd appreciate hearing your comments.

Thanks!
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

RB: I've been using Verizon Wireless Sync for a couple of years now, and I'm finding that it's not very reliable. The servers seem to go down every couple of months, and stay down for days. That's why I'm looking at a hosted exchange service.

Scott
  4. Marax

Marax New Member

I am, been with SherWeb for close to 2 years now. Ever since they started offering Hosted Exchange 2007. They are great.

Out of curiosity I've even opened accounts with other providers, but after a short period of time, I closed everything and kept SherWeb's alive :). Nothing comes close to what they have to offer for the price they ask. they know how to deal with situations and their tech support is awsome.

Enjoy
  5. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Marax: I'm running a single computer with Outlook 2003. I want to get push e-mail and sync my contacts and calendar. Can you tell me how the process works?

Thanks!
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i have 2 exchange accounts/services

1. personal: www.1and1.com (6.99/mo)
    2. work: www.usa.net (19.95/mo)

i sync the Q with my personal account and its great
    no need to hook up to a pc to sync data (only files i want to transfer to the Q)

i type a contact on my Q it goes to my 'OWA' account and PC(OWA = outlook web access...basically mirrors your PC/mobile device and updates everything)

example - i make a change on my Q...it goes to my OWA account and my PC...the PC doesnt have to be on it goes to the OWA account and when outlook starts the OWA syncs with the PC and the info is there
    and visa versa...you can also make changes to the OWA account and it updates the PC and mobile device

make sense?
    its basically verizon wireless sync
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

just curious... does usa.net offer enough to justify the price difference ?
  8. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Yes, it does make sense. For your personal account, are you using something like Hotmail or Yahoo, or Verizon.net, or do you have your own domain?

Thanks, Scott!
  9. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

I am using Sherweb and love it. All the usual bells and whistles plus 3 gb of storage. I love not being bond by a usb cable.

I also copy .cab files by mesh; I am looking forward to the mesh client.

John
  10. n99hockey

they are slightly more reliable than 1and1
    also there procurment process was fast so we had almost no downtime which was a major factor otherwise we would be using 1and1

-Sent from my Q9c
  11. n99hockey

i have my own domain

-Sent from my Q9c
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i see i see... makes sense, it's in the back of my mind.. but not on the short term to do list currently. i know where to go if that would be the case :}
  13. jhalsey205

jhalsey205 Member

Btw - one of the coolest features of Exchange 2007 (in addition to the true push email, bi-directional sync of contacts, calendar and tasks) is the ability to do "server search" of old emails on you pda.
  14. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Scott: Do you know anything about 1and1's MailXchange? It seems to have all the same major features of an exchange server, but is less expensive.

Thanks!
  15. n99hockey

i looked at it a while ago when i was going to do the exchange account

i think its more business group based since you cant share anything that isnt signed up for the service and in your domain

so i found it useles to me

-Sent from my Q9c
  16. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

Can you expand on that? Basically, all I need to do is keep my Outlook calendar, e-mail, and contacts synced, and have no need to share anything. In reading the MailXchange information, it seems like it's designed for that and at a lower price (albeit only $2) than a hosted exchange account.
  17. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

I've never used the mailXchange, but from what I can tell looking at 1and1's documentation, it looks like it is very similar to WirelessSync from Verizon - you put a client on your Windows desktop to sync the desktop to the 1and1 server, and then the phone accesses the 1and1 server. It looks like emails automatically go to the mailXchange server, and your phone gets them from there (not sure how the desktop gets it).

It probably works pretty good, but I can't help thinking that it is a substitute to Exchange Server, and for the extra little bit of money, I think I'll stay with exchange server. Maybe you should try it and let us know how you like it, I'm sure you could upgrade to 1and1's exchange server if you didn't find it reliable enough.
  18. n99hockey

its more of a collaborative tool
    yes it has email but alot more that you probably wont use since you appear to only want it for yourself
    http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Ma...3C4FD8A995DE3C.TC61b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

if you just want mail and calendar and contacts i would stick with straight up exchange
    mailXchange is not an MS thing...as you will notice it says 'plugins for outlook available'
  19. ScottQ9c

ScottQ9c New Member

They have a 90-day money back policy for mailXchange, so I might give it a go and see if I like it. If not, as you said, I'll upgrade to the server.
  20. Marax

Marax New Member

Your Outllook would connect to the Hosted Exchange server and your mobile device would use Activ-Sync. So both PC and mobile device would get sync. The setup is fairly easy with SherWeb. I would say that for a 1 user account, everything would be done within an hour or so.