Is an Egg, meat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Der Alta, Jan 16, 2008.

?

Are Eggs considered Meat?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2008.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Is an Egg, meat?

I'm taking a new step this year (THR's thoughts and thread have inspired), and trying new things.

In past years, I've given up things every now and then to see how it changes my life. This year, as I get older, I realize that I need to pay more attention than in prevous times. Last year, I gave up Cigars for the month of January, and didn't have another one until Late November. I didn't enjoy it like I used to, and haven't had one since.

Back to the topic...

This year, from the day after the Office Holiday party (Jan 26th) until St. Patty's day, I'm giving up Alcohol, and Caffeine. I'm also on the fence about including Meat. Not just red meat, but all meat. Chicken, fish, pork and anything else as well.

My quandry, is "Are eggs considered Meat?"

So I'm opening this up to your thoughts and discussion.

Thanks for the input.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

that is rough!
    no alcohol or caffeine!? your stronger than i am :tounge:

i was looking on incredibleegg.org and according to the food pyramid an egg is grouped in the 'meat' category due to its protein values
    but that doesnt mean its considered meat.....
    http://incredibleegg.org/f_food_guide_pyramid.html

so i would have to go with no it is not meat
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

never heard anybody call an egg meat... i shall therefore vote no.
  4. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Not until it hatched would be my guess.
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

they do place them next to milk and such in the dairy section

not meat
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

u have to have protein & some fats. If u don't get these from meat then u have to get them from somewhere. good vegans will eat eggs & nuts, cheese. deprive ure body of these things u're skin gets real dry. what's it doing to rest of body? PFMQ
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i didnt think vegans ate eggs....
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and i think most vegans don't look too healthy :}
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

giving up caffeine may not be healthy (for others around you) either.

Vegans are weird, we have teeth for a reason
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

or as Jim Gaffigan said: "i love animals, but i like eating them more" :}
  11. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

and a motto that I've modeled my diet by, "Did it have a parent?"
  12. cheri

cheri Active Member

ok egg is not meat...yet especially ifin it aint fertilized.

My aunt is a vegan and a very strickt one. Vegans and vegetarians are different. Vegans i dont think ANY animal or its products including honey (maybe honey for some). Vegetarians vary from eating the products of animals but not the animals.

I like meat but dont eat much beef and pork but heck o chicken and turkey.

I wouldnt chose to give up meat. I dont wanna look all dried up either and it does seem to be a symptom...ever see body builders before a show? Not enough fat and carbs will suck the life right out of your appearance. No apple head dolls!
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

for a short term clensing I an see giving up meat. I am a proud card carring member of P.E.T.A. btw

[size=-2]People Eating Tasty Animals :)[/size]

regardless, best of luck
  14. Geekster

Geekster New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That was funny! Or the one: I didn't claw my up the food chain just to eat salad!

I'm going to look around this weekend & see we can't find you a site that you can use to store pix with and use with phone. That is if SO works all weekend like he says he's got to. Then all I got to do to feed him is order pizza. Then he's happy!
  15. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Well Der Alta, glad the thread inspired some changes. But don't you think all those changes at once will send your poor body into shock. I can see the alcohol and caffeine(yikes!) but cutting out all meats might be a bit much. I have 2 uncles who have been vegetarians most of my life and they don't look healthy. I am trying to modify my diet too but not ready to give up all meat though I am trying eat more chicken and turkey and go easy on the red meat.
  16. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I have a VEGAN in my weird little family and she weighs, ready for this?, a few pounds short of 300 pounds @ 5.5". I told her once that I didn't think the vegan diet was doing her any favors and she swears she feels soooo much better on that crazy diet. I inserted the "crazy". We don't eat much red meat, it's a treat for us! Good luck, Der Alta. Take it slow and one day at a time.
  17. cheri

cheri Active Member

my dads a vegitarian for the most part.
    but occassionally eats meat. I think he was manorexic for a while back in the 80.s though.

I have not abstained from meat and dont plan on it
  18. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

I figure this will be a shock to the system, doing it all cold turkey, but... It's only for a month or so. It is very interesting to see what other peoples thoughts on the subject are. I'm looking forward to the challenge of finding things to eat that don't have meat.

In a walk through the grocery store yesterday, I realized how much meat is in every day food. It looks like I'll be preparing my lunches the night before, as a trip to the local restaurants/grocery store will result in nothing but eating a bunch of vegtables.

Pasta looks good though.
  19. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Definitely keep us posted on how your poor body deals with the double whammie! I admire you for your decision because I'm having a hard time just giving up caffeine.
  20. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Well even though eggs aren't considered meat, the protiens and fat content says different...Thus I vote yes based on pure science...lol

I used to eat large steaks on a regular basis, then gave it up for the most part due to getting older and worrying about my health. I still eat seafood as often as I can, as well as poultry on a regular basis. I think no red meat is a better goal for ya DA, but that's just my humble opinion. As another mentioned earlier in this thread, you do need your protien to keep your muscle mass intact, and unless you eat a hell of a lot of nuts, beans, and Tofu!!... you will notice a weaking of strength, again IMHO...

Anyways, good luck on your adventure...lol :wink: