IPod or other MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tngirl, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tngirl

tngirl New Member

IPod or other MP3 player?

Ok, I need some techie advice! I would like a basic MP3 player for when I work out- maybe something I can pop into an alarm clock but 99% of the use would be for treadmill time.
    I don't need 1000 songs but maybe in the couple of hundred range for variety. (I can store all that I want on my desktop, right?)
    I like that some players have FM option. This is great when there is something on CNN on the TV at the gym and I want to hear it. Again though, not essential.

I am looking for affordable and durable. Something I can grab from EBay. I don't want to get an IPod JUST because it is the most popular. BUT if it is the most popular b/c it is the best, then it makes sense. The other ones I have seen that interest me are the IRiver...

Thoughts?? PLEASE HELP!
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

They should be announcing new iPods very soon - possibly today. This will enable you to get a good deal on previous generation iPods. Not only is the iPod a fantastic product, you also have iTunes integration making it easy to purchase, download and listen to your music on the go. With the popularity of iPods, there is a plethora of accessories. iHome has an alarm clock that you can put the ipod into and wake up to your music. I'd look at the Nano -- small for running, working out and very well made.

Now if I can only find my iPod.Unsure It's been missing for weeks and I have no idea where it is --- driving me crazy.

-Chris
  3. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

The best device for this would certainly be an iPod Nano. It's by far the best I've owned... it's light, reliable, and connects to iTunes.
  4. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Consider this device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BP50AY/103-4071068-6683052?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

Bought it for my wife for exactly the same purpose - she loves it. Teeny, inexpensive (Nano is 2-3 times more expensive!), plays FM along with holding several hundred songs, runs on a AAA battery for about 18 hours, very good long-term reviews, and plug and play into the PC, with no drivers needed. And here's something that the Nano / Ipod's can't do: integrate with Windows Media Player to play .WMA files (WM Player default format). My wife doesn't buy a lot of single music (at iTunes, or anywhere else) - rather, we buy CD's and have a massive catalog of them. Ripping from WM Player is the norm, so iTunes integration wasn't essential.
  5. tymewillcome

tymewillcome New Member

CHris, did you find your ipod yet?? I lost my 60gb video ipod and I cried! The week I lost it I saw a student on campus with a batman Ipod, SURE AS HECK WAS MINE! I got it back
  6. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I'm a big fan of the Creative MuVo FM (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=9771). It's very simple, small, and resiliant (I've dropped weights on it before, and it's still ticking w/o a crack!). The volume is great, and the best part is that it's powered by a AAA battery. Why is that the best part? Because every "rechargeable" battery MP3 system I bought (which has been quite a few) eventually had batteries that went from running for 15 hours to 15 minutes and dying... hard to get a good workout in just 15 minutes... The other thing I really like about it is that I have a cigarette ligher -> USB adapter (great for just about everything I own) and it slips in there and plays in my car (with a tape adapter) without using the battery. When I go, I slip it out of the USB port, and into the battery sleave.
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

No luck yet. The only good thing is that I've been getting very organized. I've been cleaning in hopes that I'll locate it. I'm bummed. The only thing I can think of is that I left it on the seat of my car and forgot to lock it. I guarantee that once I replace it, I'll find it. I'm waiting for the next generation to replace it. If I don't find it by then, I'll be placing my order "day one". No different than the last release - although I ended up getting a defective unit, so I had to wait 2 weeks to send back and have Apple replace it.

Mine was a 60gb iPod Video.... :(

-Chris
  8. JazmineDubois

JazmineDubois New Member

I like the microsoft zune, selling my ipod nano currently anyone want it check the contact info. zune is very nice under 120 on ebay, video 30 gb:wink:
  9. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

Sandisk

Radio is good to have on an MP3 player, especially at the gym. I have an 8GB Sandisk Sansa e280. Works perfectly. Cost me $100 on ebay.

Of course, you could just get an extended battery and use your Q. I bought stereo headphones from ebay for $4 and downloaded PocketPlayer (I use it instead of Windows Media Player) for $20. There are arm straps out there, but I don't remember where I saw them. My Q is now my primary MP3 player. I mainly use my e280 for the Radio these days.
  10. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

i never want to become one of the many iSheep so im asking for a zune for xmas. if your looking for something for the gym i would get something with a FM radio. HUGE turnoff that the iPoops do not feature. :2cool:
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i became a iSheep this past july and i'm digging it a lot... the fact that so many people have one makes it easier to get help and tunes. i have a 4Gb Nano (could afford a bigger one, but i much rather spent money on tunes).. it holds a 1000 songs, no video.. i got a dock for the office, and a adapter to use it in my car.. it's been working out great.

my 2cts.
  12. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Creative Labs

I currently have a 2 gb Zen V Plus from Creative Labs. After much research I found them to be comparable to the dreaded ipod without the hassle of having to go through itunes. I already had alot of music/cds to load and didn't want to have purchase them again or go through the rigamaroll of messing with itunes to listen to my own music. I had a 8 gb I gave to my son because I wanted a different one but after putting all my music on it 2 gb is not big enough so this weekend I ordered a 20 gb Zen Sleek Photo Plus. Looking forward to loading it. But so far no complaints from me, love my Creative Labs Zen V Plus!
  13. piranah

piranah New Member

I cant stand the ipod. Almost all the music i listen to, i get from friends who burn cds with stuff i want on them, pop it in to the pc and throw the tunes on media player. I dont think i have actually paid for music in about 5 years.
    I use my Q as my mp3 player, have bluetooth headphones now so that will make things at the gym a lot easier. I personally find it pointless to buy a mp3 player to carry around as well as my phone when i can do anything and everything with my phone...You know those iphone commercials where the guy was talking about how he used to carry a bag of stuff with him, a phone for text and email, a phone for calls, a camera blah blah, well my q can run circles around the iphone and i refuse to adapt to "ilife" because its the cool thing to do...that and ive said this before, but i saw an episode of futurama that showed ipods running the earth...forget that..
    [​IMG]
  14. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

your're my new best friend :laugh2:
  15. piranah

piranah New Member

yaaaayyyyy i got a friend yaaayyyy:tounge:. A guy i work with has an ipod and he was playing solitare (spell?) on it and i asked him that has games too? and he said yea, you have never seen an ipod. i told him ive seen one but never used one, and i prefer to play doom on my phone while listening to music...he got a little upset, but now he wants a q...
  16. Bramsy

Bramsy New Member

doom

can you teach me to doom?
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

18. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

I have an iPod 30GB Video. I love(ed) it. I mean I still do, it has a ton of storage and is nice for trips.

However I hate Digital Rights protection. I have purchased ALOT of music on the iTunes store and it cannot be played in WMP or on Mobile WMP.

I know the solution that is "legal" is to rip the music I want to CD, then replace the iTunes files with the ones from the CD. I have 20GB of rights protected files and a job so I don't have that kind of time.

I am looking for a way to run an auto rip/convert/replace of my entire itunes protected library so I can then sync the songs I want for with my Q.

I carry about 40 songs on it for day to day use and I just hate the idea of the time it takes to rip.rename/import manually for windows media player on the Q.

I doubt Apple will consider making an iTunes port for WM, so until there is a good ripper/coverter out there, I'm stuck.

So bottom line is iPod = good product, but it doesn't integrate with Windows based devices well at all.
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

20. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member