iPhone V Windows Phone 7 v Android Phones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajnnn8, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Android V Windows Phone 7 V iPhone

1. Android

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows Phone 7

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. iPhone

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Ajnnn8

Ajnnn8 New Member

iPhone V Windows Phone 7 v Android Phones?

I'm in the mood for buying a new phone.. Now I wonder which to buy.. I've been looking at Android based phone but don't wanna miss out on any iPhone features and then again I know nothing about Windows Phone 7..

Help me decide.. Vote the poll too.
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Windows Phone 7 is definitely the wild card. Both iPhone and Android are good choices. The only caveat with Android being the specific phone you select. There are some not so great Android devices.

iPhone is certainly a solid choice.

I see big things for the Windows Phone 7 platform. It's already clear that it'll be a gaming device, if that's of interest. Check out the list of Windows Phone 7 games announced for launch. It's pretty impressive.
  3. Ajnnn8

Ajnnn8 New Member

hmmm everyone says iPhone.

I wanna go Anroid.. problem is no-one I have asked has an Android or has recommended them.

On friend has the Windows Phone 7 and loves it but I had bad exp with Window's phones in the past.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Say what!?
    How does your friend have WP7? Its not out yet?

Android is great, 200,000 people per day active Android, Im sure you can find someone (like me) who would recommend it. I recommend Android, its a great OS.
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

You cannot go wrong with an iPhone. You can only go wrong with Android if you get the wrong Android device.

For me, the best bets (in no particular order are)
    • HTC Incredible
    • Droid X
    • Samsung Captivate
    • HTC EVO 4G
    • HTC EPIC 4G
    • Samsung Fascinate (not out yet)
    • Nexus One
  6. misterSelf

misterSelf New Member

I think the major difference between the OSes is the manner in which they do things and your comfort or preference for how they do these things. Take, for example, notifications. One could make the argument that Android handles notifications better than the iPhone, but better is subjective and comes down to preference. Surely notifications in Android are non-intrusive, but that doesn't necessarily make them better, because there are people who want to be interrupted when a notification comes in as well as there are people who prefer the opposite.

Other factors in your choice could be the carrier you're on or wiling to switch to, because the iPhone, for instance, is currently available through only AT&T in the U.S. And while there are many Android phones out there different carriers have different devices. Sprint alone has the EVO and Epic; Verizon alone has the Droid X and the Incredible. Windows Phone 7 has not been released yet, so, for now, it is a non-factor.

Apps could be another selling point. Apple (i.e., the iPhone) has the largest app store and though quantity and quality aren't the same thing, I find most iPhone apps to be superior to their Android counterparts. On the latter point, please realize that this is personal preference. I know people who see nothing wrong with the Android apps and find nothing superior about the iPhone ones.

Another and probably the most important factor might be build quality and design. Again, the iPhone is one device and thus limited to one design/build quality. Android is available on many devices by many manufacturers. I have a preference for Motorola, but I also don't particularly like very large phones and the Droid X, for example, is a beast.

As you can see, it's a tough choice, but I suppose you already knew that, hence your post. I am intrigued by everything I see, heard, and read about Windows Phone 7 and can't wait to use it for myself. I've had/used Android since 1.6 and while there have been many improvements I am so over Android; the novelty wore off a long time ago. I loved my iPhone, when I had it, but hated AT&T. I also wasn't to thrilled by been locked into Apple's iTunes ecosystem. Your comfort, needs, preference might differ. Good luck.
  7. WP7map.com

WP7map.com New Member

I have at least one of all 4 iPhones as well as the HTC Surround.

There are 4 things about the Windows Phone which I think are superior to the iPhone.

1. Voice search
    2. A built in FM radio. Very easy to use and excellent sound quality.
    3. The ability to upload a photo to a website from with the IE browser. With only iPhone native software the only way you can get a picture off the device is via email. So for example with the Windows Phone you can upload a pic to Costco directly to get a print made.
    4. Integration of Office with the phone. This seems like a big plus but I haven't did any testing with it.