Internet via bluetooth: possible?

Discussion in 'Bluetooth' started by Rick Eloy, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Rick Eloy

Rick Eloy New Member

Internet via bluetooth: possible?

Hi, folks!
    I'm new to the Q, and was kind of upset by the lack of wi-fi. I've read that the Q is not exactly compatible with miniSD WI-FI adapters (power supply?), so I was wondering if I couldn't maybe connect my Q to the internet using bluetooth. It may sound stupid, but I was able to get 2 desktop machines connect via bluetooth just like in a regular network, so maybe I could do the same with my Q. Any thoughts?
    Cheers!
    Rick
  2. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Should work in theory. When I connect via USB with active sync and connect to the web on my Q it uses my laptop's WiFi connection rather than EVDO. So if you Active sync via Bluetooth the Q should still surf via the PC's connection.

Although I can't imagine my wanting to surf or stream on the Q with my PC right there. Maybe if someone else is on the PC you could use the Q at the same time. I would definately rather surf or stream on my laptop though. And you couldn't do it on a remote WiFi hotspot without an ActiveSync partnership.
  3. Rick Eloy

Rick Eloy New Member

Well, of course it doesn't replace a good WIFI connection, but it would be sort of a workaround at home, for example. And, since USB bluetooth adapters are cheap... Nevertheless, I believe there is no choice for us Q'ers, right? No WiFi... :(
  4. Eugene

Eugene New Member

What range has anyone gotten with bluetooth If I plug a USB bluetooth adapter in my little server sitting in the other end of the room will I be able to connect?
  5. DrQ

DrQ New Member

10 meters/33 feet is what the spec says but that's really line of site. I get that with most of my bluetooth so across the room should be OK
  6. Eugene

Eugene New Member

have you been able to get that far real world? The only reason I was looking for wifi support was to be able to run things like a voip client at home so BT would do it if I can get across the room with no problem.
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

No problem with my headphones 3 rooms away about 30 feet.
  8. Rick Eloy

Rick Eloy New Member

Here's another reason why one would use BT at home... Using VoIP at home would be at least great (not to mention that one could sync the Q and the PC without having to plug). Anyway, no news on a usable WiFi adapter?
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Someone mentioned that on HoFo and I thought it a good idea. I was thinking once we move I would not get a land line turned on anyway.
  10. lolipopkid-josh

lolipopkid-josh New Member

I Sync using a usb bluetooth adapter. I can also use my phone as a modem through my BT adapter. It works great for me and best of all its wireless :)
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

No WiFi other than previously stated in the forums.

Have you tried the Bluetooth internet connection yet?

The only WiFi posibility is for you to but the new Spectec low power card when it comes out and be our guinia pig.
  12. Rick Eloy

Rick Eloy New Member

I just may...LOL...
    Bu I got really interested in that home-made scheme presented in another thread (the one that uses like a dozen pieces)... Do you have any idea if Q could even recognize a regular USB Wi-Fi adapter?
    Cheers!
  13. Eugene

Eugene New Member

The spectec site shows the q9m now as ok for their wireless. I was waiting for the 9m to see if the wireless problems was fixed and have $ sitting in paypal waiting to get one of the spectec cards on ebay. So as soon as I can get one on the 20th I'll test it shortly afterward.

I bet the Q won't work with a USB wifi adapter since its a slave usb device and the wireless wifi is a slave also.
  14. Rick Eloy

Rick Eloy New Member

Just saw that, too. (http://www.spectec.com.tw/sdw822-moto.htm). It says it should work with GSM Q and Q9... any chance it should work with CDMA Q?
  15. Guindalf

Guindalf New Member

I ordered one yesterday, so I'll be able to let you know in a few days when it arrives. I had $30 in gift certs, so it only cost $10.48. Cheap enough to take a chance.
  16. Eugene

Eugene New Member

it works fine with the CMDA Q9m, I have one in mine. Anyone in Columbus OH, I could let you pop mine in your Q and try it.
  17. jskoland

jskoland New Member

Has anyone tried this on a CDMA Q not a Q9

Thanks
  18. Eugene

Eugene New Member

I believe others have said it won't work
  19. crunchyfox

crunchyfox New Member

active sync works

i just got a used MotoQ model motoq setup active, setup my bluetooth to work with active sync and i can surf the net. it was easy, took less than 5 mins and it work just about anywhere in my apt.