Internet Sharing VS PDANet Use minutes?

Discussion in 'HTC Touch' started by aplawing, Jun 10, 2009.

1. aplawing

aplawing New Member

Internet Sharing VS PDANet Use minutes?

Hi everyone.
    I just bought an HTC 6800 Im using on Alltel's network. My issue is this. I used to have an original MotoQ, which I used its application ModemLink to connect it to my PC and use a dial up connection dialing #777 and it would let me browse the net without using my minutes, just my unlimited data. The HTC6800 has a program called Internet Sharing that supposedly does the same thing but I've heard when you use it that it uses airtime minutes. Others say that it does not use mins, that it runs off data but I need to know for SURE because I have very few mins and can't risk running over. Does the Internet Sharing application use airtime minutes? Does PDANet use airtime mins? What is the difference? I don't tehther on a regular basis and I don't feel I should have to pay Alltel an extra 30 a month for something I won't be using everyday. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if there's already a post about this, I couldn't find the search option because im using my phone to post.

aplawing
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

neither ICS or PDAnet will use minutes. ICS is roughly the same as dialing #777
  3. aplawing

aplawing New Member

well that is a load off my mind. why would anyone buy pdanet if it does the same thing without using minutes? that's the only reason I was going to buy it. I think nearly every WM device has some sort of internet sharing so I don't get why they would buy an identical program, is there a difference between ICS and PDANET, for instance is PDANET undetectable whereas Alltel could see Im tethering with ICS?
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

they can see either, but only as data use. typically the only time they notice is if you use it excessivly, or there is a big spike in use. On some phones you may need to edit the registry to get ICS to work
  5. ryman

ryman New Member

hey i have a motorola q9c with sprint. i just found out that i can connect my laptop to the internet. does this use anything extra if i can already connect? i have all the packages but no pam package...but everything i have read says that you need this to even get on... any ideas?
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Check out my reply on your other post.
  7. cmuchill

cmuchill New Member

what is the #777? How can I use that?
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Using the ICS is basically the same as using #777 (it's what your phone dials to connect to the net)
  9. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Hey, I noticed you have android. Did you try pdanet on it? Does it work properly? Thanks!
  10. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member