Internet Sharing vs PDAnet/USBmodem

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jmarchun, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Rcnathan

Rcnathan New Member

Hey, welcome to EQ! :)

I would call sprint first thing tomorrow morning or log onto your online account and see if you have been charged for the data usage. I believe everyone can get data, you have to ask specifically to have it turned off. Most likely you have been charged for your usage, but talk to Sprint about it and see what kind of deals you can work out with them. If you don't want the service then tell Sprint that and have them put a block on your account for data. They should do so. If not, spend the $15 extra a month and get unlimited data. I didn't think I would ever use it as much as I do.

Being in college too I use it for research and such when there is no wifi available.

Hope this helps. :)
  2. cokopop

cokopop New Member

thanks for the welcome!!!..oh i forgot to mention... i have the Simply Everything plan so I have unlimited everything already.. i was saying i haven't added the PAM option to my account and i tried in the beginning just out of curiosity to see if it worked with simply plugging in the usb cable and nothing happened.. now all of a sudden i have a connection(i'm accessing the net from it right now)..definitely weird..now can u offer some insight?
  3. bacchus1106

bacchus1106 New Member

So I've got a bit of an update on this whole issue. I had been plagued with the same problem using Internet Sharing with my Q9c from Sprint since I got it back in Nov 07. I sort of gave up on it since I didn't really need it and I couldn't find any good information on how to circumvent it. Well, tonight I got it to work. I am actually using it now.

The plan that I have is the Unlimited Data, Texting and GPS. It was only $20-$25 extra and it seemed worth it. I just tonight decided to check out Motorola's website for updates to the software for my Q and it found one. I went through the entire update and was waiting to see what new features or fixes it provided and when it rebooted it said Windows Mobile 6.1. Now keep in mind, I didn't pay for this. It asks when you bought the phone and it only asks for a purchase date. Mine just happened to be under warranty.

So with some of new features with WM 6.1 I wanted to check out Internet Sharing. I tried the original method I had tried before by creating a Bluetooth PAN with my Vista SP1 laptop and I got that all setup. I then used the Cellular option for "Network Connection" Well I happened to notice that there was a second option I didn't notice before for Sprint Network. I tried the Cellular option again just make sure and I got the Waiting for Network just like others have. Well I decided to use the Sprint Network option and BAM! It worked. I am actually posting this message using my phone.

I was pretty excited because my previous Samsung phone worked great as a modem and I thought Sprint had locked the new phones down until you purchased the over priced PAM plan.

I tested the speeds and they weren't great (350k down and 80k up) but I get a pretty crappy signal here so that has something to do with it.

Hope this helps some people!

Bacchus
  4. sobhan

sobhan New Member

Yes - same here... It wasnt working with WM6.0; I was using USB modem which worked alright. I upraded to WM6.1 and ICS works now using spring network. The internet speed from the laptop is faster than what I was getting with usbmodem
  5. JMak

JMak New Member

So using ICS in WM 6.1...do you get charged?
  6. sobhan

sobhan New Member

I hope not.. Just tried this yesterday... so will know in next months bill....
  7. bacchus1106

bacchus1106 New Member

Same here. Not sure yet.
  8. cturnbull802

cturnbull802 New Member

weird... I bought pdanet when I had 6.0 and use it once in a great while.. I upgraded to 6.1 the 1st day it was available and never even tried ics untill tonight. I was at a friends house tonight and someone had brought an eee pc, he had some htc att phone with 6.1 using standard ics... I asked him to try my phone on it and it worked!! I have the same question as everyone else does sprint charge for it? I am on an older sero plan so I do have unlimited data. its just so nice to plug your phone into any vista computer and have internet without installing anything
  9. bacchus1106

bacchus1106 New Member

FOLLOWUP: I was not charged but I do have the unlimited internet plan for my phone.
  10. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I'm using ICS on my SERO 500 plan and as far as I can tell I'm not charged. Nothing extra came up on my last bill. Using it right now actually. :smile:
  11. lewisjd

lewisjd New Member

So if I want to use my dsl connection to drive my phones internet when Im at home, can I do this with ICS? For some reason when I activesync over BT it drops the connection after a few minutes of browsing the web. I was wondering if maybe ICS would solve this problem?

browsing the interweb is dreadful due to lack of a good signal at my place and when its connected to activesync, i get great speeds.
  12. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

ICS is the other way around; it provides your PC with an internet from your phone's connection.

Activesync/WMDC allows the phone to access the internet from the connected PC's connection.
  13. lewisjd

lewisjd New Member

Ah well. Any idea on why the activesync connection would drop after a few minutes of browsing the web on my phone?
  14. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Nope, sorry. I don't use my phone with my PC in that fashion so I've never experienced it.

Try what ninjaap has said in this post, and see if it helps.
  15. thefourthdoctor

thefourthdoctor New Member

ICS also works with Ubuntu 8.10, just plug in your phone and hit connect, no more messing around with the command line to get it working.

Update: Ugh, I might have to dig up how I connected my Q9c for ICS use in Ubuntu, it seems that my Samsung smartphones are automatically seen as an RNDIS modem but not the Moto.
  16. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

That's great to know, thanks!
  17. douro20

douro20 New Member

If you hack the registry to allow you to tether your phone without paying for Sprint's "Phone As Modem" service, I'd definitely think twice about ever taking the phone in. I'd imagine they have software tools now to check if hacks like this have been performed, and they will go after you for stealing service. Yes, this IS stealing.