Internet Sharing vs PDAnet/USBmodem

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by jmarchun, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jmarchun

jmarchun New Member

Internet Sharing vs PDAnet/USBmodem

So I've searched a few times, and haven't seen a really good answer:

FYI: I don't have a "Phone as modem" Plan

What's the difference between using:

Internet Sharing (program that the q9c comes with)

vs

the USBmodem or PDAnet (external third apps)

I'm assuming the difference is that with Internet Sharing, Sprint can detect that you are tethering a computer with your q9c, while the USBmodem/pdanet usage is "hidden" due to the phone being used as a proxy server?

Or can the Internet sharing tethering be done without sprint detecting it?
  2. Dr.Snyder

Dr.Snyder New Member

i'm assuming no one knows either man. i'm wondering the same thing. hopefully we'll get an answer soon.
  3. wellboy

wellboy New Member

I tried Internet sharing out of box for the Q9c. It did not work for me. How did you do it?

4. mabmarc

mabmarc New Member

Internet Sharing

I tried this also and it didn't work for me. When I hit connect I get the message "Waiting for network". It never actually connects or even appears to be trying to connect. No data bars showing above the signal. Here are my settings:

PC Connection: Bluetooth PAN
    Network Connection: Sprint Network

It is possible that you need a PAM plan for this to work at all. I don't have a PAM plan (nor do I want one), can someone who does have a PAM plan try this feature?
  5. JPSmith

JPSmith New Member

More than likely there is tethering logic in the phone software that will not allow the Internet Sharing program to work unless the account is subscribed to the PAM plan. This is what Sprint did on the Mogul. See the below thread on ppcgeeks, specifically post #35.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9418&page=4

I have a Mogul and have removed the rilphone.dll registry entry as directed in this thread. I can use the Internet Sharing app with no problem, have done so for three months now and have never been charged for it. I don't know if Sprint is using the same method on the Q9c, but it's possible. Maybe someone with a Q9c who is game to edit the registry can determine if this registry entry exists and if removing it enables IS to work on a regular data plan. If this works, you should be able to tether to your heart's content on the standard data plan without using USBModem or PDAnet.
  6. Damionix

Damionix New Member

COuldnt find it

I just did a search of that registry and I could not find it, I guess it is not in the Q9c. I just hope there is some other way to use this than to pay exorbitant amount of money to sprint to enable a feature I believe we are entitled to. Please do give more insight on this matter,
    Thank You
  7. JPSmith

JPSmith New Member

The solution then is to buy USBModem or PDAnet. They are not expensive and will allow you to tether without additional monthly charges from Sprint. I was just proposing there might be a way to do this w/o extra software.
  8. mabmarc

mabmarc New Member

PDANet

The PDANet developers are working on a fix to allow BlueTooth tethering to work. It may be ready in a week or 2. It should already work for the Q9M but does not work for the Q9C currently. USB tethering does work and it works very well with PDANet.
  9. adma

adma New Member

Weird, my Mogul worked right out of the box for internet sharing. It was no problem, and I don't pay for the teathering plan. However, it definitely doesn't work the same for the Q9C...
  10. mantis32

mantis32 New Member

This thread inspired me to buy PDANet. I love it!
  11. SprintBoiler

SprintBoiler New Member

Does PDA net require you to have special PDA net software installed on your PC?

I am trying to connect a Tom Tom GPS unit to my q9c...but of course wouldn't be able to install anything on the Tom Tom...
  12. mantis32

mantis32 New Member

Yes, PDANet has a component installed on your PC.
  13. lexicon

lexicon New Member

I know US carriers sometimes do this with tethered internet. But Internet Sharing works well for me (outside of the US). My friend using Verizon had to buy a special package and some guy got a 5000 usd phone bill cause tethered connection wasn't part of the data plan he bought. I don't get it - US carriers man...
  14. ocbizlaw

ocbizlaw New Member

Just to be clear

I realize I'm a computer dolt. but I just want to understand. If I use a program like PDANet and I have a regular Sprint vision plan at $15 a month, and I use my phone for a modem, I won't get charged for tethering? Is that right? don't get me wrong, I'd love this. I think the whole unlimited data on your phone unless your tethering to your computer is a rip off. But how come PDAnet doesn't get sued or Sprint doesn't find a way to disable it. If it really works, that's fantastic!
  15. andy71600

andy71600 New Member

I would like to know this as well before i purchase it
  16. mrmailer

mrmailer New Member

As I use linux, I can only use pdanet with bluetooth.

However, it seems q9c, as opposed to q, does not have a DUN profile/channel, so what can I do?
  17. bubbatex

bubbatex New Member

I have had PDAnet for a year with the $15/mo PV plan and yes, it works as advertised. Sprint will not "catch" you using data. Well documented across all PPC/Smartphone forums - tons of people use it regularly w/o a problem. And, IMO, Sprint has much bigger fish to fry than trying to kill June Fabrics - probably less than .005% of Sprint customers actually know about it and/or use it.
  18. primer

primer New Member

on a sorta unrelated note: i just got my bill for jan (got my q9c in december and changed plans) and my bill was over $180. supposed to be 100 or so..... PISSED
  19. cokopop

cokopop New Member

this is really trippy.. my internet sharing is working and to my knowledge i never requested from Sprint to do so.. how am i getting it? i piggyback off my parent's wireless cause i'm in college and broke..soooo what's the deal????? by the way i've been lurking this site since i had the original Q just now decided to join since i figured this is a well needed question to a well needed answer.. it's after hours so i can't call Sprint but i really want to know so i don't charged out the ass if there is an error
  20. oklablackknight

oklablackknight New Member

I have been using pda net for the past two years. It is my primary method of connecting to te net. On my original Q it worked great. On My Q9c it took a month of tweaking to finally get it to run. I contacted them and advised tem and they said they were aware of it. It works fine now. I download songs, movies and surf te net and never ad a problem.