internet Question

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by pnasca, Sep 16, 2008.

1. pnasca

pnasca New Member

internet Question

I asked this in another spot but got no responses. I locked my internet through verizon. But i want to still accept pix messages. is there a way to lock it by a hack and still get pix messages.
    Let me know
    thanks
  2. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I didn't know SMS used data... I though Verizon changed this.
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

mms uses data...yes.

and there is a hack..in the hack thread..that will prompt you for a password everytime the Q wants to use data.
  4. pnasca

pnasca New Member

Can someone guide me towards the hack. Also how much is it for a pix message?
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

6. pnasca

pnasca New Member

Thanks. Do you know how much it costs per PIX message?
    Also for the speed hack it says navigate to some wierd places..is that on the phone or off my computer..I dont understand that one and would like to have better help in doing that hack..
    also does it use more battery??
  7. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

no i dont
    check your providers website

you need a registry editor
    you can find links to them in the post above the one i just linked to
  8. ***MotoQMamma***

***MotoQMamma*** New Member

if you're on verizon and have unlimited text messaging (including pics & video messaging) they access the data network to send the messages and go as mms on a smartphone - but you're NOT charged anything from verizon (again, that is IF you have unlimited pics bundle thing) I have the 'pay as you go' data plan because if you have Verizon block all data, to avoid internet/data usage, you won't be able to get pic messages anymore either. To me it was confusing when they told me I had to have a data plan to send pic messages, giving me the idea that it meant I'd have to pay for them, but they meant that the smartphone needs access to data to send the pic messages, yet you don't get charged in Verizon IF you have the unlimited texting deal. IF you don't have the unltd, the data is 1.5 cents/KB and if you start to send a pic, I THINK it tells the file size before you send it, BUT I don't know that for sure - I"m still freaking out trying to figure out where I'm getting other data charges when I thougth I'd blocked EVDO that I THOUGHT was supposed to avoid accessing the web - I must be wrong.
  9. pnasca

pnasca New Member

i have unlimited to VZW customers and 500 other..out of network...am i good on charges?
  10. ***MotoQMamma***

that's what I was trying to do, exactly, when I chose 'evdo only' in the hdr preferences - and by taking out the internet explorer, pocket msn and get applications icons from the start menu - and then had Verizon lift the 'block national access' so I could still get picture messages. I was HOPING it'd block other internet access - now I can still get pic messages but for some reason, something is still using data that I'm getting billed a few KB here and there for from the last 2 days - I'm going to call verizon to ask if THEY know what it's from. IF IF you discover a/the hack to block the internet/data use for things other than pic messages - PLEASE let me know too (and if I do, i'll let you know & post as well.) HELP!:angry:
    I'm frustrated that I don't know how to even tell if I'm USING data at the time - I put the password for data access on now and am hoping it'll make us know what accesses it besides pic messages?!
    I KNOW it's a 'smartphone' and I'm not that stupid, but we just got it for texting & my daughter liked the phone itself , I don't want to access the web otherwise - I know there are others like that too.
  11. ***MotoQMamma***

i don't think SMS uses data, just MMS (multi media messaging )which is what pic messages go through/as when on a pda/smartphone because they're set up is diff. & have to access data or something (per Verizon)
    ?Hope it helps
  12. sherri

sherri Active Member

Just to add my 2 cents... I love this phone (original Q/WM5) and can't imagine not having data...

My kids are the heavy texters, but I didn't want them having data plans. LGEnv2 is my daughters dream come true...full qwerty/music phone/expandable memory with memory card (speakers are better on the Env2 than on the Q).

Did you look at other phones without data plans? From what you said, it doesn't sound like you need a "smartphone".
  13. ***MotoQMamma***

no, my kids don't need a smartphone either, they just liked them for the size of the qwerty keypad vs. the qwerty music phones they both had/have already - One has the env2 & the other had the samsung u740/alias = but after 2 of those breaking and buying another fill in cheapo pay as you go phone we activated on our plan to 'get her by' and then THAT one quitting, she bought this one on ebay. I wasn't aware of the issues with data plans, etc when she got it or I'd have said no. (I know, my bad - I just had no clue they were that diff. so I didn't even look into it)
    I think they'd be great for someone that wants to use all the apps, etc and getting a data plan but for reg. texting I think they're just too big and a waste - but it's their choice to carry around the stupid thing.
    I'm jsut trying to find a way to avoid any unintentional charges for data for things they don't even use. The deal on this phone through ebay was cheaper than buying a non-pda phone w/o a discount through Verizon on our existing plan - so she spent her $$ on this one. (she's thrilled with it, I'm just worried for what the data part of the bill might be?!) Verizon told me today that the phone will call out for software updates on its own without you accessing the web - even if you're in the middle of another call. Therefore, I'm wondering how this will turn out. :tounge:
    thanks for your 2cents tho.
  14. sherri

sherri Active Member

Good luck! My daughter's NE2 plan is up in December, as is mine. She has made fun of this phone since I got it, in May 2007!

Now, however, she is thinking about it differently thanks to Skyfire & the ability to get on Facebook!

Don't think I want her on a data plan, though, as my bill is already over $300+ per month (5 phones, 2 of which have data plans)
  15. ***MotoQMamma***

UnsureWOW I'd really hate that?! I'm sure having full use of the data IS nice tho...good luck to you too!? :)
  16. zelendel

zelendel Member

There is an option for it to look for updates on its own but that can be turned off. There is a hack that can be done to block internet use that you could set a password for. If you call verizon and have them block the internet I think there was someone that was able to do that and still send multimedia messeges.
  17. ***MotoQMamma***

unfortunately, i've talked w/verizon multiple times and they say they cannot block data and still allow mms messages. \
    DOES anyone know where the option(s) are to allow auto updates for apps that access the web so I can shut that off? I put the hack on to require password before accessing data, but I don't konw if this is going to keep the auto updates from going through? - there weren't any charges yesterday but that's only one day in.
    thanks to anyone that can help
  18. zelendel

zelendel Member

If you go into settings and on the last page you will see windows update if you go through there is a a setting on when you want to update automatic or manual just set it to manual amd your good to go remember to also shut off the error reporting
  19. Geekster

Geekster New Member

I was reading the threads when I found this post & remembered you needed help. Sounds like another good option to try.

http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9h/is-it-possible-to-block-data-but-not-mms-26945.html

Give it a try?
    Good luck