Instant Messaging Charges?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by markjwest, Mar 27, 2008.

1. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

Why are you paying $45 for data. The PDA Personal unlimited is only $35. I sold my Blackberry and replaced it with a Nokia because I can get MediaMax Unlimited (which includes unlimited txt messaging) for $35. I will eventually get either another Blackberry or a MotoQ and just not tell ATT that I'm now using a PDA.
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Sounds like a plan. Just be careful you don't give them your new IMEI. Or give them a non-PDA IMEI.
  3. JeffPom

JeffPom New Member

To use internet on a PDA - you need a PDA plan. The system will recognize if you purchase a PDA and are using medianet instead.

The PDA personal is 35, 30 with voice. The PDA Enterprise (full sync with Microsoft Exchange) is 45, 40 with Voice. Both can and would be discounted if your business has a business agreement with AT&T.

Blackberry is pretty much the same pricing - and same discounts.

iPhone is different data pricing - no discounts.

Hope this helps.:smile:
  4. mexiken

mexiken New Member

The online system will, but Telegence (the system that the whole AT&T West market uses), won't.

I've been using the Media Net plan on my Q Global for MONTHS now....
  5. JeffPom

JeffPom New Member

After I read the further posts - I thought about that. Yes - if the IMEI, etc. - is not updated, I suppose it could be possible. You would obviously need to buy the phone outside of AT&T (or have an in) because a rep would make sure PDA is applied to the account instead of medianet.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yup, you are correct. Makes troubleshooting the device a bit of a hassle when you call in, but you just have to work around it....
  7. dudemac

dudemac New Member

I just got hit with 675 messages on my bill for $67.50 in charges for Y! IM , what the hell? This makes no sense why a yahoo messenger IM is counted as a text message. But palringo is just data.
    I got them to take the charges off, but this is nuts.

Anyone think about doing a hack that changes this?
  8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

well there site specificly says SMS in big bold letters
    http://mobile.yahoo.com/messenger?refer=a00477
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

10. dudemac

dudemac New Member

The blackberry Yahoo client does not use SMS, and the only other phones they show are a Sidekick and a regular flip phone.

To make it worse i called the corp store i bought the phone at and asked and they said its not a text its data. I then reveled I already owned the phone and they were telling people wrong as they told me the same thing when i bought the phone in July. The manager was gone for the day, very conveniently.