Instant Messaging Charges?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by markjwest, Mar 27, 2008.

1. markjwest

markjwest New Member

Instant Messaging Charges?

I received my bill from ATT this afternoon and saw a spike in text message charges, something in the 700 range. For the past 3 years I have never gone above 200 which pay for on my plan. Well, I just got my Moto Q and use the built in Instant Messaging software for AIM. Does the Instant Messaging use GSRP or do I get charged for each message via a text message charge?
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the built in app will (me thinks) count as txt, look into slick, octo, parlingo
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes, the built-in program will count as a text for every in and out you send.

Follow Mikes info if you want a program that does the same, but all on the internet.
  4. markjwest

markjwest New Member

Goddamn that makes me so mad. Back to ShapeServices IM+ I go. Ill check the other out too as they are new to me. Thanks guys!
  5. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

unlimited text messages for sprint is 10 just to let you no
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

But if the OP is already paying for data with AT&T and can use an IM program that only uses data and no text messages, then he doesn't necessarily need to switch carriers for a deal on text messages . . .
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

details....deatails

:)
  8. lbmmoh

lbmmoh New Member

Yes I was angry as well, because Windows Live went down, and ATT nor Microsoft ever cared to fix it, I used the other built in MSN Messenger ap, and when I got my bill i have hundreds of txt charges. Made me angry, but im sure that disclaimer mentions this.
  9. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

My data plan with AT&T is 45 and 20 bucks additional for text messaging. I didn't opt for the text service so I downloaded Agile for IM so I could do all my texting in there. Will there be additional charges?

DQ
  10. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

i didnt no he was on att..... probably read the first post 2 fast wow that sucks my unlimited data/unlim textmssgs is only 20 bucks a month.... back when i only had 250 tx messages i used im frequently n i never got ne charges but its prolly different on att
  11. unsung

unsung New Member

nope your not going to get charged as a text message. so if you have an unlimited data plan your covered. if your data isn't unlimited, you'll be charged for the amount of data the app uses for IM'ing.

only when using the pre-installed IM app will you get charged per (outgoing and incoming) message as if it were a text message.
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Unfortunately, that doesn't make any sense. If you are paying 45 for the PDA plan and 20 bucks for messaging, then you have unlimited of both. So you have opted for both. You can use the built-in IM program, or you can use any downloaded deal to get on the internet. Its totally up to you, since you have unlimited of both.
  13. Desiree Q

Desiree Q New Member

I recieved a bill for the 45 unlimited and 20 for text messaging. When I called they said the text was not included in the unlimited data plan. I asked them to remove it, I am now being charged 15cents for every incoming and outgoing. I will check again on the next bill to see what happens.
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

That makes more sense. However they're wrong, or you just had a miscommunication with them. If you're getting billed 45, thats for unlimited data, and yes, messaing isn't included in that. The extra 20 dollars however, is for unlimited messaing. So the 65 you got charged covers all of it. If you got the messaging removed, which it sounds like you did, then I would HIGHLY recommend you use the internet IM programs.
  15. unsung

unsung New Member

i would send the word out to your contacts to message you through an IM now instead of sending you text messages. you'll get charged for incoming messages just the same as sending them.
  16. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Parlingo question!

Does Parlingo dock text messages from me? I know that when I used the MSN Messenger application on my Q1 that it did. I now have a 9m, and I installed Parlingo. I would assume that only uses data, but if someone can confirm- that'd be great!

Many thanks!
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Palringo does not use text messages!

And the only reason PocketMSN did on your Q1 was you must have checked the option to still receive IM's when in weak coverage areas!
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Does it cost money ????
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

palringo is free...so is slick!

Is that what your asking? :)
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yes, thanks :smile: