Install Mango on your Windows Phone without being a developer

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by chris, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting post over at Windows Phone Hacker. Essentially, if you backup your Windows Phone using this Zune backup tool and then run the tool offer at WPH, it will prompt you to install Mango beta the next time you open Zune.

I've gone through the first two steps.
    1. Downloading and installing Windows Phone Developer tools
    2. downloading the Zune backup tool over at XDA (which requires this file).
    3. I've successfully made the backup. Now I'm considering the big jump to try the tool the allows you to download the beta of Mango.

Please note that I'm not recommending or endorsing you do this to your phone. If you phone bursts into flames, becomes a brick or is nothing more than a plastic slice of toast, I'm not responsible.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oh wow! Do it! Do it! Do it! :p

Is there a way to go back? I want to try, but not without a paddle.
  3. chris

Here's the rub. You need to back up. Without a backup, you cannot upgrade to the retail Mango release. Now, my backup seems to go through without any issue.

I'm usually not the daring type. I've requested Mango on a few occasions, this might be the quickest route.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Okay, Mr. Daredevil. Since your toes are already wet, I'ma grab a chair, my morning coffee and observe your progress from this side of the computer screen :)
  5. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

OR since my friend found out his dreamspark account can only have one dev phone I find myself looking for a way again...

Why don't 3 of us choose to become developers. Should cost about $33 each for a year.
  6. chris

The site was involved in some major server work, so I couldn't report back. I'm happy to say that my upgrade to Mango went off without a hitch. I did have to reinstall Windows Phone Developer Support tool, after the initial upgrade. There are two, the final gets you 7661, which is Mango.

Mango is all the goodness of Windows Phone, but with multiple layers of polish. Someone on Twitter commented, it smooths all the rough edges that you didn't realize existing in Windows Phone.

Email is killer and the overall experience is so freaking fast.
    ninjaap likes this.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

The Backup tool took me a while to figure out :( but I'm on track now :)
  8. chris

I used the backup tool and version 0.2 also backs up your previous state. I figure having two backups couldn't hurt.

It's all worth it in the end.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

But won't the second backup just overwrite the first backup? How do you know it was stored in a separate location. There's 1.3 version now too.
  10. chris

Once I made my backup initially, I copied it to a separate drive. I then ran the .2 version of WPH tool. That created a backup also. It took some time and then the script said Firing Up Zune. I then proceeded to get fired up that I was on my way to Mango.;)
  11. chris

Just to be clear, I used a different Zune backup tool, in addition to the tool by WPH. I think the WPH tool works great though and should be enough.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Oh okay! Got it!

I just got an error halfway through the backup. It says to remove phone from USB and try again. Okay... I hope the second time around goes off well... :cautious:
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I got to the part where it tells me it's firing up zune. It launched but no prompt for update. I tried running the updater several times, even as admin. Restarted my laptop several times. Reconnected USB several times. Checked for updates through zune and phone. Still no luck... any advice?
  14. chris

In Zune, with your phone connected, are you to going to Settings > Device > Update.
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes. Keeps telling me I'm up to date.
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

When I run update.bat, I don't think it's actually backing up/updating my phone. I see the script run, but nothing is going on with the phone. If the phone was getting updated, then shouldn't I see the screen with a computer and phone?
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well I guess Mango is not for me... I'll have to wait with the rest of folks.
  18. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I would just like to clarify the following:

Once you use the backup tool for your Windows Phone and update to Mango, all data you populate into your device after that point will be erased when you update to the retail Mango update.
  19. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Great heads up!
  20. chris

I'm not sure I could go back to NoDo anytime soon. I did incur some issues with Birdsong -- but not sure if those are even Mango related. Overall, it's been very stable and my battery life has been fine. I've seen rumblings of bad battery life and that just hasn't been the case with me.