In Memory of...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by piranah, Dec 23, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

hard to tell :}

are we generalizing again.. tsk tsk :]
  2. cheri

cheri Active Member

No not generalizing, its a fact. Something happend when I was in a car accident as a kid, after that.something happend....its not always nasty man thoughts. I got enough of my own so get out of my head! jk You have no idea how many time some guy has told me "how did you know that" im glad it doesnt consume my day like some Mel Gibson movie. Call it intuition or what ever.
  3. piranah

piranah New Member

ok, changing the subject back to the meds....sorry.... im comfortable sharing this, its a part of my life, and ive learned from it...some of u know this already....i was in one of those spots when i was 15 where i felt like ending it was the only way i could handle life...i told one of my teachers this, who i had trusted for a couple years...and they took me to the hospital that night...

spent my 16 th bday in there, which was funny cuz it was on the same day as the super bowl...ne way...they put me on three different meds, one for adhd, one for depression, and one for "mood disorders"....well three days later, they let me out....i should point out that my mom has a phd in psychiatry, and i am an only child of a single mother, so i got a lot of first hand experience in the psychiatric field growing up...so i was able to tell them what they wanted to hear and they let me go...

they say that with the depression meds, there is a higher risk of suicide with teens...well thats true...a bottle of triple sec and asprin...whats "funny" is i called 911 myself....two hours of stomach pump and three things of charcoal juice, and im in the icu for two days...they said that my blood alcohol level was .35 had four ivs going at the same time...and back into child psych for two weeks..they told me i had basically jumped off a 8 story building and landed on my feet, they dont know how i lived....well was able to tell the docs exactly what they wanted to hear, again...and got out, had done some "body carving" when i was in a depressed state before i went into the hospital....

i have an X on the back of my hand that i had carved with a pencil...i tattooed that in to remind myself of all the pain that i was in, and to never think like that again...people tell me to cover it up, but it means too much...

in short, yea, meds work, sometimes...but other times they dont....my uncle had paranoid schitzophrenia, with manic depression, he was on 23 meds at the time of his passing...so i dont believe meds are always the best answer....
  4. Geekster

Geekster New Member

You're right. Med's are not always the answer. I have seen so much crap from my older relatives while growing up and friends now that I'm stunned. All that med's do is ''cover up" the problem: but what is the problem? But I want to state here, also, that many mental "glitches" are brain chemical imbalances. It's not a sickness, ppl aren't "sick". Why aren't they finding ways to to nourish the brain of the chemical/chemicals it needs to stay healthy and functional? My husband says, "Better living through chemical dependency". He is being very sarcastic. But, I have also seen medication do it's job to fix a problem, too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Glad you came through your dark period, Piranah. I hope it made you stronger and I think it did.
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thats one hell of a story piranah
    glad you came out on the other side and are still here with us!
  6. piranah

piranah New Member

I agree Geekster...seeing my uncle on his meds, we could tell when it was time for him to take them again, but you are right, a lot of times they cover the problem, not help resolve it...that and whats with the side effects being worse than the actual problem?....like for the restless leg meds, you have uncontrolable bowels, tiredness, aching joints/muscles, and "in some cases" has been known to cause liver problems....i think id rather have my legs twitch a little...
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

To re-open this (sort of) in memory of Myron Cope. Died this morning. He was a Pittsburgh legend.
  8. cheri

cheri Active Member

i dont know who that is paco....can u link some information
  9. n99hockey

10. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

There should be some information on www.wpxi.com. He was a radio sportscaster for about 30 years untill he retired in 2005. He created the "terrible towel" that you see at steelers games (proceeds from the sale of these towels goes to a local school), he also gave the name to the "immaculate reception" back in the 70's. I'm sure there's more, I just can't remember any right now.
  11. cheri

cheri Active Member

Sounds like an interesting fellow. Thanks for sharing the links guys. When i was a kid my #2 was the steelers after the raiders of course! I was born in Oakland. I didnt recall the announcer for the steelers but we probably didnt hear as much of him here. Sorry to hear about his passing. Looks like he had been sick for a while, poor guy.

I havent been a very good fan of pro-sports for years.

We had a sports figure pass away not too long ago. Dario Logiani. Played for the A.s, etc.
  12. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

:(

hey i just stumbled across this a few minutes ago. I lost my best friend the other day after he commited suicide. its rough ya know having something like this happen but i keep looking at my tag and remembering its the circle of life and things happen for a reason.
  13. n99hockey

wow that nuts
    sorry to hear about your loss:frown:
  14. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, we know that all things happen for a reason but sometimes that doesn't make the sorrow any less painful. I am very sorry for your loss. And I am sure his family is struggles with the 'what ifs'. My condolences to all.
  15. cheri

cheri Active Member

Sorry you had to stumble across something like that. It's not easy to lose a friend or loved one.

Nice to be able to have some place on the web to share these things.
  16. cwintermeyer

cwintermeyer New Member

Maggie

I lost my best friend, my true companion of the last ten years. On February 19, 2008, Maggie's battle with mast cell tumors came to a swift and quiet end. Thankfully, her last days were happy and playful, with very little suffering. I will never forget the boundless love, patience and joy she gave me every day.

[​IMG]
  17. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

yeah stumbling haha is how i tend to find alot of things :) And your right, it is nice to be able to share these things....lol even with complete strangers.
  18. cheri

cheri Active Member

Go to earlier in the thread. I stumble upon stuff too.
    I know how that is.
  19. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

:) yeah this is about the only site at work that they HAVENT blocked...yet :frown:
  20. cheri

cheri Active Member

i ment earlier post..not thread
    Nothing gets blocked by our IT guy. I figure that he snoops at where we go on the web though....wont have to worry about that in a few short weeks.