In Memory of...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by piranah, Dec 23, 2007.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

im happy to hear the success story...as alot of the time there arent...
  2. starlightapril

starlightapril New Member

That is true... If it weren't for people that give their hearts and souls to helping people like me the world would be a far worse place. Your wife must be an amazing person! I know how hard headed people like me can be, and for her to reach out to children and teens means a lot!!
  3. n99hockey

she sure is...its her way of saving the world
    but i think im her toughest case :tounge:

the kids are tough for sure but sometimes well maybe alot of the times the parents are harder to get throught to!
  4. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Because we as parents have been conditioned to believe that we can fix our children's problems and we shouldn't elicit the help of anyone outside of the family to do so. We hear all the time that "he/she just needs a good butt whopping" like that's the cure all. Luckily for me, I have a good support group in my family doesn't buy into that theory. My mom is my biggest supporter and that helps alot!!!
  5. n99hockey

absolutely....
    but not only that they dont want to believe that there kid has a problem
  6. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

I've never understood that mentality. I live with my children, I know what they are capable of and doing no wrong is not one of those things. When I would go to school for teacher's conferences I would always tell my kids give me the whole story straight up because I WILL NOT fight for you if you are wrong!! I will support you if you have been wronged but if you are at fault you're on your own and you will face the consequences.

That's why we have some many of the younger generation just going beserk because they have been taught and conditioned by their parents that they are not responsible for their own actions. It's got to be someone else's fault or problem. When indeed it's not. We all have to be held accountable and sadly that's not always the thinking of others.
  7. cheri

cheri Active Member

here is my little theory on meds.

If there is a quality of life issue and the meds work fine.. If there isnt a quality of life issue then learning how to cope may be a better way to go.

But i am not a Dr. and meds are an individual call. Some folks get worse o the meds.
  8. n99hockey

im happy to hear that....
    i agree...so many times it seems kids these days (not that im old by any means but you get the idea) are going nuts or beserk as you said...when my wife and i have kids i love the notion of old school parenting...not beating with belts (as much as i might want to) but kids actually respecting but with a slight fear of parents...
    not having kids run all over them and do what they please...but acutally behave becuase there are consequences...
    when i saw my mom or dad get angry i ran...and i didnt do that again

kids now a days...not so much
  9. starlightapril

Haha!! I know what you mean. My dad put the fear in us with a leather belt. Never again!! :)
  10. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

I'm 41 years old and I still refer to anyone older than me as "ma'am or sir". I share almost everything with my mom but I still have much respect for her and I know what I can and cannot get away with even now.
  11. n99hockey

absolutely!

i do too in some instances (depending on how well i know them)
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I went thru several belts in my youth, but thats not always the best answer. It greatly depends on what get the better result.

My wife tries to work with the teen girls at her church. My goodness some of the crap those girls do is outragous.
  13. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

My mom was the one who doled out the displine in our house and her weapon of fear was a razor strap with holes cut in it for a little resistance to the wind. Let me tell you, you didn't cross the line too many times unless you were stupid or had a death wish. Neither of which applied to me.:tounge:
  14. n99hockey

yes i agree
  15. cheri

cheri Active Member

never got the belt. did get spanked a few times.

I know some people that had to kneel on dried rice or beans and much worse even.
  16. n99hockey

thats interesting!
  17. starlightapril

That is a little F'ed up.
  18. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

That's an instance where you have stopped discplining and are beating or exercising your will. Spanking in the right manner is a for the purpose of teaching. What you're describing is not and is just wrong IMHO!! I would never use force or the fact that I am your parent to abuse my children or try to break their spirits!
  19. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

so saying " because I said so" is not imposing your will?

\devils advocate

I do it after the 50th "why daddy" :)
  20. starlightapril

Im glad I am not a parent at this point in my life. I am super irritable!